Owls v Ipswich 1990/91 Season.

I think the general feeling was that now Wednesday had been relegated from the top tier their support would drop off, hence the decision not to make it an all ticket game.

I was 10 at the time so my memory is a bit vague, but I do remember Wednesday fans being everywhere. I was stood near the front of the terracing with my dad and it was rammed. They ended up taking all of the kids out of the stand and sitting them at pitch side. It was surreal being sat behind the bi-line during a game of football, but a but un-nerving hearing the supporters on the terracing shouting at the police and stewards that they were being crushed. I remember looking back at my dad in the stand and thinking how cramped it looked. Don’t think I was at pitch side too long before the opened the gates and let so many people into a side stand.

For some reason though (I think that the side stand filled up quickly and the terracing was still packed) they ended up moving some of us to the opposite side stand. Cant remember exactly why, but my and my dad saw the game from three different stands in the end.

Did Steve Whitton play for them or was that later? For some reason, one of my memories around that time is of everyone shouting “Wednesday Reject” to him. None of this love-in with average ex players we seem to have these days.

That was my first ever away game, one I will never forget. It was also the first time I hear the “Jingle Bells” song too. Happy days.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Did Steve Whitton play for them or was that later? For some reason, one of my memories around that time is of everyone shouting “Wednesday Reject” to him. None of this love-in with average ex players we seem to have these days.

That was my first ever away game, one I will never forget. It was also the first time I hear the “Jingle Bells” song too. Happy days.

Whitton was still with us at that point.

Brilliant day at Ipswich , we were boozing in Bury St Edmunds before and finished up in a pub run by an ex wednesday player if i remember rightly.

We were in the pen on the left hand side as you look and didnt experience any crushing at all ( worst crush ive been in was Grimsby away mid eighties boxing day).

To this day the Ipswich game is still one of the most complete performances ive seen from a Wednesday side , i remember on the way home they interviewed then Ipswich manger John Lyall on the radio and asked him if they had been poor , and he said no , it was Wednesday who were outstanding.

Edited by sheriwozgod

At one point in that game we seemed to have the ball for a good 10 minutes without Ipswich touching it, it really should've been 5 or 6 nil to us but fortunately for them the score was kept down.

YELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOWS

If he hadn't of drawn so many games at home we'd have won the title easily but promotion with a cup win was better for me, the mid week game up at Newcastle when we lost to a freak Mirandinia goal 1-0 everyone around me were thinking we were gonna get mullered at Wembley by Man U and Lee Sharpe. 

Edited by TaxiMark

Guest BirdonaMaguire

At one point in that game we seemed to have the ball for a good 10 minutes without Ipswich touching it, it really should've been 5 or 6 nil to us but fortunately for them the score was kept down.

YELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOWS

If he hadn't of drawn so many games at home we'd have won the title easily but promotion with a cup win was better for me, the mid week game up at Newcastle when we lost to a freak Mirandinia goal 1-0 everyone around me were thinking we were gonna get mullered at Wembley by Man U and Lee Sharpe. 

Kevin Brock, cross from the right wing which went in off the post (I watched Fight for Promotion last week :biggrin: )

I remember it well. I was 12 and went with my Dad and my cousins. I remember being pleased that we got in for free as kids were being lifted over the turnstyles instead of having to pay. Not sure if the turnstyle operators were doing it to get everyone in the ground faster because of the numbers outside the ground, or whether they were doing it to be generous. Either way, there were more fans in the away end than should have been.

I was standing at the front with my cousin (who was the same age as me) when the crushing started. I remember climbing over the fence and noticing where they'd cut the spikes off the top of the fence (presumably a reaction to Hillsborough). Good job they had, otherwise we'd have been in trouble. I remember my Dad having a go at the copper on the gate telling him that there's going to be another Hillsborough unless he opened the gate to let people out. Luckily he did, eventually. We ended up in the seats alongside the pitch. My first away day, and by far the scariest.

Was down there that day...simply concentrating on keeping me feet....never saw the ball hit the net fdor either goal...forgot about the penalty funnily enough...been in one crush worse....Nottingham railway station after a game with County..Police herded us all into a like ante room wotsit and then brought horses in to keep Owls fans in there...anyone else remember that?..It was like the black hole of Calcutta...

Kevin Brock, cross from the right wing which went in off the post (I watched Fight for Promotion last week :biggrin: )

Was it Kevin Brock? I always thought it was Mirndinia, either way it was a freak goal, and the Newcastle fans in that old main stand to our right were going nuts, back in the the day when the Leezers end (away) was a shallow banking, all change up there now. 

Edited by TaxiMark

I was there that day, nice and sunny and yellow shirts just everywhere. I remember driving round and round calling out to the thousands of Wednesday fans. The surges were fantastic, it was so packed you were trapped but I still felt safe at the same time. I though our support would struggle that day, after us getting relegated but how wrong I was it was superb. Fans spilled out drom our end and the police just had to give us parts of other stands to cram us back in.

What a day!!

Guest Big Guns

One of the few games I missed that season got back from a two week lads holiday in benidorm on the Thursday and was broke

Gutted that I missed it

I was there that day, nice and sunny and yellow shirts just everywhere. I remember driving round and round calling out to the thousands of Wednesday fans. The surges were fantastic, it was so packed you were trapped but I still felt safe at the same time. I though our support would struggle that day, after us getting relegated but how wrong I was it was superb. Fans spilled out drom our end and the police just had to give us parts of other stands to cram us back in.

What a day!!

that's when we had the kits out for the summer hols, and what kits they were - sort of symbolizes the team and general feeling for the club at the time. I was 22 year old, single and loads of disposable income and mates with a similar life. Amazing times.

that's when we had the kits out for the summer hols, and what kits they were - sort of symbolizes the team and general feeling for the club at the time. I was 22 year old, single and loads of disposable income and mates with a similar life. Amazing times.

Same(ish) here. 18 at the start 19 at the end. The rave scene in full flow. No cares in the world. And that amazing season.

Lovely.

I was there too but to be honest can't remember much apart from the scoreline and that Paul Williams scored.

Don't remember getting squashed or owt.

Me too , all i remember it was a boiling hot day and we just pasted Ipswich and hell of a long journey back, went to most games that season and the Oldham game was like a battlefield outside the ground . 

I was there too but to be honest can't remember much apart from the scoreline and that Paul Williams scored.

Don't remember getting squashed or owt.

me too! i seem to think i was in some seats down the side but at the opposite end to our standing fans ... have i got alzheimers ???

vividly remember reading the scoreboard half time stats (never seen this done at any other game) ; attempts at goal; owls 27 (on target 14) ipswich 4 (nil on target) ... that was flippinghalf time !!!!

great day,great season /great memories !!!  

me too! i seem to think i was in some seats down the side but at the opposite end to our standing fans ... have i got alzheimers ???

vividly remember reading the scoreboard half time stats (never seen this done at any other game) ; attempts at goal; owls 27 (on target 14) ipswich 4 (nil on target) ... that was flippinghalf time !!!!

great day,great season /great memories !!!  

Thats where i was sat i am sure.

Missed 2 games all season away at Bristol in the league due to the snow and a night match League cup early rounds, Brentford i think.

Awesome season