Owls v Ipswich 1990/91 Season.

We didnt miss many, brighton away in mid week was one, went to twerton park haha

I went on the coach to Brighton. Got back home at 4:30am and was in work for 7:30. Knackered!

Cambridge (thank god!) Plymouth Bristol City and Portsmouth wre the ones I missed. Set of for Bristol but got stuck in the snow storm on the way down and didn't make it.

Edited by senwar

Bristol C fans singing "there's only one bed and breakfast at us"

It wasn't all fun. Lots of draws, quite often 2-2 from 2-0 up. Points needlessly dropped. Games not finished eg we murdered West Ham in the first half at home, played awesome football. And drew.

But that win at Upton Park...

The Oldham game summed us up didn't it. Altho to be fair we'd given everything by then.

And yeah the west ham win was just immense.

I went on the coach to Brighton. Got back home at 4:30am and was in work for 7:30. Knackered!

Cambridge (thank god!) Plymouth Bristol City and Portsmouth wre the ones I missed. Set of for Bristol but got stuck in the snow storm on the way down and didn't make it.

Very similar, only missed Brighton, Plymouth, Portsmouth and set off to Bristol but only got just past chesterfield

Is the Brighton one the one where we hijacked a milk float? I've never seen anything like it, raining full milk bottle down the hill at their mob.

Beat Ipswich 2-0 on the opening day of the 1990/91 but the whole day could so easily turned into a second Hillsborough Disaster because of the way our fans were packed into the corner terracing.Is there anyone on OT like myself who still remember the way that we were packed into Portman Road?

I was there incredible crush outside the ground we were stood at back in the ground so had no problem inside for us.

A few memories of that game

The Wednesday players face when they came out to warm up, I don't think they could believe how many had turned up to watch the newly relegated owls.

The fat ipswich fan, and him obliging when we chanted.fatty fatty show us your boobies,his mates loved.it lol

Then a steward tried to get him to cover up only to turn round to face several thousand Wednesday fans chanting leave the fat b4stard alone

I was listening to my pocket radio it was the weekend before football left radio 2 and moved to the new radio 5. The featured game the newly promoted blades against the Champions Liverpool! I remember Simon Tracey being carried off with a broken jaw.

I remember the chanting towards the fat Ipswich fan as well, I think a copper took him out eventually, there was a Wedneday fan or someone who looked like Sterland and everyone were chanting Zico Zico to him as well in the Ipswich end!

We were near the top (right hand side) and it was packed.

Must admit though, the worst crush I've been in was a friendly at B Lane when Palmer got sent off, I was lifted of my feet for about 10 seconds, it was horrible, their away end terracing used to be dark and have think pillars in the way of your view.

90/91 - Has to be the best for away days though,starting off at Ipswich (Hirst missed a pen I think too) Palmers 94th minute equaliser v Barnsley, Leicester 4-2, Millwall in the cup 4-4, WBA 2-1 when losing after 90 mins, BHA 0-4 Mid Week, Bristol Rovers in the rain at twerton park Bath when Tricky Trev scored, can also remember the low points at Millwall when we lost both full backs and Pompey when Carlton was red carded to miss the final and who could ever forget the mad final day at Oldham!

Edited by TaxiMark

This makes me want to dig out my old 'The Will To Win' video. If only I had one of those antique video player thingies.

edit. nvm found it on the youtube machine.

Edited by mrgund

Is the Brighton one the one where we hijacked a milk float? I've never seen anything like it, raining full milk bottle down the hill at their mob.

Don't remember that to be honest but my memory ain't the best at times due to those years :biggrin:

Drove up from London for the Ipswich game and arrived just before kick-off. Went in the Ipswich section at the other end of  the ground from where most Wednesday fans were but there were many other Wednesday fans around me too. Great performance and a great atmosphere. Don't think anyone at my end was particularly aware of the problems at the other end - other than that some people were on the pitch - and I left sharpish afterwards but that was the first very good memory of that fantastic season. 

Bristol C fans singing "there's only one bed and breakfast at us"

It wasn't all fun. Lots of draws, quite often 2-2 from 2-0 up. Points needlessly dropped. Games not finished eg we murdered West Ham in the first half at home, played awesome football. And drew.

But that win at Upton Park...

absolutely horrendous weather that day, I got the impression the only ones that had made it had either set off the day before or ridiculously early on the day. Was it 1-1?

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Some cracking memories in this thread, I was only 9 at the time so went to all the home games but few aways, loved it.

absolutely horrendous weather that day, I got the impression the only ones that had made it had either set off the day before or ridiculously early on the day. Was it 1-1?

Yep

The snow on the m1 was unbelievable. I was absolutely gutted as had been to every game up to then. But just couldn't get past chesterfield (I was driving my trusty Orion but it was beaten).

I remember the chanting towards the fat Ipswich fan as well, I think a copper took him out eventually, there was a Wedneday fan or someone who looked like Sterland and everyone were chanting Zico Zico to him as well in the Ipswich end!

We were near the top (right hand side) and it was packed.

Must admit though, the worst crush I've been in was a friendly at B Lane when Palmer got sent off, I was lifted of my feet for about 10 seconds, it was horrible, their away end terracing used to be dark and have think pillars in the way of your view.

90/91 - Has to be the best for away days though,starting off at Ipswich (Hirst missed a pen I think too) Palmers 94th minute equaliser v Barnsley, Leicester 4-2, Millwall in the cup 4-4, WBA 2-1 when losing after 90 mins, BHA 0-4 Mid Week, Bristol Rovers in the rain at twerton park Bath when Tricky Trev scored, can also remember the low points at Millwall when we lost both full backs and Pompey when Carlton was red carded to miss the final and who could ever forget the mad final day at Oldham!

Must have been standing in the same area because I remember this guy so clearly.

Must have been standing in the same area because I remember this guy so clearly.

Me too - remember them announcing the pigs result and then us all chanting 'The Blades are going down' for about 5 minutes with the Zico bloke at the front orchestrating it and pointing down on every down!!  They put in the Green 'Un that we sang a rousing chorus of 'The Owls are going up' - but we all knew what was really sung.  Also remember the fat Ipswich bloke - when they tried to throw him out we sang 'leave the fat b@st@rd alone' and got a rousing round of applause from the Ipswich fans (who to be fair just looked stunned at the amount of noise we made).  Also vividly remember Pearson leading the team out and applauding us from the edge of the area and just saying over and over again - 'f*cking brilliant!!'.  Only missed a few games that season - it was amazing to be a Wednesday fan at that time.

Thing I always remember is the copper panicking and shutting the gate when fans tried to get out of the crush. Luckily I managed to move to the right and stand behind the corner flag.

Like others have said greatest season for away games, think I missed 7 games out of 60.