Owls v Ipswich 1990/91 Season.

we pitched up at that square in burslem......wudnt make that mistake again lol wer it a bank holiday ir summat ?

cant remember mate, it was in the week anyway, night match

Think it was over 7,000

That's correct, 7,000 fans travelled down taking Ipswich and the Police by surprised for some reason and this in the days when there wasn't really any per match sale of tickets so most fans were paying on the day.

We saw the queue and tried getting in the Ipswich end for which a couple did but me and my mate didn't so tried buying tickets for those seats on the side but was refused but in the end Wednesday fans went into those seats after spilling onto the pitch.

What a great season it was though, anyone remember Filbert Street, Boothferry Park and The Hawthorns to name a few grounds where we were allocated what normally were home stands due to our travelling hoards?

UTO

Guest Tim Crawshaw

They crammed us in that day cud have turned ugly but they allowed Wednesday fans onto pitch side.Start of a great season

Guest Fedor

I was there too. I can't remember buggar all about the game, but I know we had a brill time round the pubs in that square before the match.

Can't remember much other than we took over Ipswich and there was a big pub like a converted barn full of Wednesday.

I was there incredible crush outside the ground we were stood at back in the ground so had no problem inside for us.

A few memories of that game

The Wednesday players face when they came out to warm up, I don't think they could believe how many had turned up to watch the newly relegated owls.

The fat ipswich fan, and him obliging when we chanted.fatty fatty show us your boobies,his mates loved.it lol

Then a steward tried to get him to cover up only to turn round to face several thousand Wednesday fans chanting leave the fat b4stard alone

I was listening to my pocket radio it was the weekend before football left radio 2 and moved to the new radio 5. The featured game the newly promoted blades against the Champions Liverpool! I remember Simon Tracey being carried off with a broken jaw.

Guest Tim Crawshaw

They crammed us in that day cud have turned ugly but they allowed Wednesday fans onto pitch side.Start of a great season

Right weekend .... I went with a mate from work and some of his pals.....got mashed ...never drunk as much in my life ....Ipswich town centre was full of Wednesday .....spent the night in Yarmouth in the back of an Ford orion with 4 others.....fights with Sunderland and Norwich fans......but the thing that's stays with me to this days was the 2 lads from Barnsley who wer rooting thru a bin outside the Britania pier at 2am looking for something to eat........Dirty fookers...

Travelled from London on my own. On the train got chatting to a nice guy in an Owls shirt. We sank maybe 4 pints before the game. He asked me to look after his wallet for some reason and then we got separated in the crush. Eventually saw him in the distance climbing the fence.

Fortunately managed to find him again at the station and return the wallet. By then we'd seen a truly fantastic performance, one of the really great days. Hirsty missed a penalty I recall.

But those fences. 18 months after those poor souls were crushed... unbelievable

I remember it well, I got lifted off my feet and crushed against a barrier towards the top of the middle section but only for around 20 secs or so

Could easily have been another Hillsborough if the ground had higher fences

That's correct, 7,000 fans travelled down taking Ipswich and the Police by surprised for some reason and this in the days when there wasn't really any per match sale of tickets so most fans were paying on the day.

We saw the queue and tried getting in the Ipswich end for which a couple did but me and my mate didn't so tried buying tickets for those seats on the side but was refused but in the end Wednesday fans went into those seats after spilling onto the pitch.

What a great season it was though, anyone remember Filbert Street, Boothferry Park and The Hawthorns to name a few grounds where we were allocated what normally were home stands due to our travelling hoards?

UTO

Leicester 4-2, hull 1-0 I think and west brom 2-1 all brilliant away days

Exactly.What could have ended up as another Hillsborough style incident at the start of the season turned out to be the most memorable season in years. :biggrin:

Leicester 4-2, hull 1-0 I think and west brom 2-1 all brilliant away days

Aye all fantastic ones. That west brom one was amazing. What a comeback.

I only missed 4 games all season. Yet the first match of the season was definitely one of the best. A lot to chose from tho.