Apology to the academy

Guest AbbeyOwl

At our club we openly encourage players to go and train at the local Academies and walk in centres. Everyone at our club is told to embrace the FA code of respect. They are all sent the video. We were placed well above average marks for the fairplay conduct point system. I am not the manager by the way.

Maybe you are the exception then. Do the parents watch the video, are you told not to shout abuse at the referee? BTW im interested not being clever

Guest Big Guns

Maybe you are the exception then. Do the parents watch the video, are you told not to shout abuse at the referee? BTW im interested not being clever

when my lads played for the red rose the parents were told not to shout out at the kids or the referees that was two different age groups

Guest Fedor

Why are 8,9 and 10 year olds going to academies and having the pressure of being associated to professional clubs. Wouldn't it be better for football to be played at school, school teams play other schools from say 12 onwards, when the kids can understand 20 of them shouldn't just chase a ball. Then the coach / pe teacher at school put kids forward for trials, that is how it worked years ago, was it so wrong, take parents and the pressure totally out of it.

Sorry I realise I have no experience ;o)

There are a few of us talking from recent experience of academies. You however are just making BS stories up.

Guest Fedor

I can't honestly say wether they all watch it.

But if any of them get abusive they know what's coming from me.

One parent got sent off for abusing the ref and he apologised to everyone at the next training session.

Guest AbbeyOwl

There are a few of us talking from recent experience of academies. You however are just making BS stories up.

But most 8,9 and 10 year olds are bullied at academies according to you, not bs at all. That is why we fail as a footballing nation, who are you Roy Hodgsons assistant.

The trouble is alot of parents try to live their failed dreams through their kids you are obviously one of them. 

I can't honestly say wether they all watch it.

But if any of them get abusive they know what's coming from me.

One parent got sent off for abusing the ref and he apologised to everyone at the next training session.

made up story

Guest Fedor

But most 8,9 and 10 year olds are bullied at academies according to you, not bs at all. That is why we fail as a footballing nation, who are you Roy Hodgsons assistant.

The trouble is alot of parents try to live their failed dreams through their kids you are obviously one of them. 

made up story

Not at all , none of the experiences I have outlined included my lad. Other than he played in the games against the academy .

As for me , I didn't exactly fail .

Guest Fedor

Maybe its because the grass roots coaches prefer to win plastic baubles and keep their best players rather than let them have the chance to progress at professional clubs?

Maybe because the part-time Mourinho's send the academy scouts packing - btw clubs cannot refuse scouts attending

The very reason the FA want to do away with competitive football for all kids

Just to reiterate , our team openly encourage scouts, we have a good relationship with scouts from Man City and Rotherham.

Never had a scout approach us from Wednesday sadly.

There's all sorts wrong with grassroots football in my opinion. And that's based on things I've seen personally.

The egos of "part time mourinhios", as scram puts it, is one issue that really winds me up. Many take winning far too seriously and have minimal interest in the progression of the kids.

Then there's the cliquey nature of some teams. Blatant favouritism. Managers doing their mates favours by playing their lads ahead of "outsiders"

I don't like the change at u11 from 2 6 a side games, to 1 9 a side game. They basically have to cull the squad. Many of those lads who don't get picked, stop playing football all together. And I've seen first hand how favouritism plays a part in who gets picked. I get the smaller games, more touches thing, but surely there's a better way of making a transition to bigger games.

I just dislike the whole thing. My experiences of academies are much better than grassroots.

There's all sorts wrong with grassroots football in my opinion. And that's based on things I've seen personally.

The egos of "part time mourinhios", as scram puts it, is one issue that really winds me up. Many take winning far too seriously and have minimal interest in the progression of the kids.

Then there's the cliquey nature of some teams. Blatant favouritism. Managers doing their mates favours by playing their lads ahead of "outsiders"

I don't like the change at u11 from 2 6 a side games, to 1 9 a side game. They basically have to cull the squad. Many of those lads who don't get picked, stop playing football all together. And I've seen first hand how favouritism plays a part in who gets picked. I get the smaller games, more touches thing, but surely there's a better way of making a transition to bigger games.

I just dislike the whole thing. My experiences of academies are much better than grassroots.

That is a a good point about the mini games going to 9 a side. Where is the inclusion in telling 4 boys that they are not good enough to play when its supposed to be about development and enjoyment. You then go to 11 a side and have space in the squad for additional players. Maybe they should have had the 9 a side game but allowed the squad to stay the same but play over 4 x 20 minute periods with the boys being able to play in a maximum of three periods. A bit messy though.

from my experience with my 7 year old the most important thing is the quality of the coaching. they also have to be enjoying it or its pointless

its no coincidence that England are rubbish and we as a nation have less qualified coaches at grass roots level than most other European nations

my lad is lucky enough to be coached by an academy standard coach for his sunday team and also attends sessions at a private academy where the coaching again is very good and very skill/technical related

from my experience with my 7 year old the most important thing is the quality of the coaching. they also have to be enjoying it or its pointless

its no coincidence that England are rubbish and we as a nation have less qualified coaches at grass roots level than most other European nations

my lad is lucky enough to be coached by an academy standard coach for his sunday team and also attends sessions at a private academy where the coaching again is very good and very skill/technical related

lol

It's not just qualified coaches though - it's the culture and ethos they promote.

Our coach development system is as poor as our player development - and the EPPP has introduced literally mountains of paper work.

Says everything you need to know that a failure and dinosaur like Aidy Boothroyd gets to manage the England u20 team...

So your dilemma about sending your son to the blunts academy was about quality of the academy: our rivals excellence of our crap. But the difference doesn't exist now. So will he be moving to our academy?

I don't know where you stand on the Ched debate, but maybe your dilemma should be about whether you want your son involved at a club where it is rumoured that a convicted rapist will soon be employed.

Not sure you can just make the choice to move, it's not like changing dance class is it

I thought the OP related to a 7/8 year old?

If so they can't legitimately be signed - i think (from memory) the earliest a kid can sign to an academy is the 3rd week of the april of the year they turn 8?

If the lad was younger then he could have trained and played with as many clubs as he wanted - professional and otherwise.

I thought the OP related to a 7/8 year old?

If so they can't legitimately be signed - i think (from memory) the earliest a kid can sign to an academy is the 3rd week of the april of the year they turn 8?

If the lad was younger then he could have trained and played with as many clubs as he wanted - professional and otherwise.

Correct, that's why I think it's important our club makes a big first impression to the best talent at this age not a negative one. Once in the system somewhere else comfortable and making friends it's hard to get them back!