Apology to the academy

Guest AbbeyOwl

Wonder if Abbeygail thinks this is made up rubbish.

Academy's are changing hence the money we have spent, if you treat kids badly you will not attract the best ones and so the money spent on improving your facilities will be poured down the drain. It sounds like you have a gripe with one person, to tar all coaches at all academies with the same brush is hugely unfair.

Guest Fedor

Academy's are changing hence the money we have spent, if you treat kids badly you will not attract the best ones and so the money spent on improving your facilities will be poured down the drain. It sounds like you have a gripe with one person, to tar all coaches at all academies with the same brush is hugely unfair.

Read the posts Abbeygail, look at my praise for Man City and their coaches. Read Cornelius' post.

I don't like Mark Grayson and his methods, he may be a great coach for all I know.

Guest Big Guns

so basically you agree with wot i was saying no need for accademy coaches to act like ***** to kids

Guest AbbeyOwl

Read the posts Abbeygail, look at my praise for Man City and their coaches. Read Cornelius' post.

I don't like Mark Grayson and his methods, he may be a great coach for all I know.

you posted 'Or maybe they nurture their kids and treat them with respect. Where as most of our kids are bullied out of the game at 8, 9 and 10 years old' So you meant most of our kids except those at Man City?

so basically you agree with wot i was saying no need for accademy coaches to act like ***** to kids

I am saying I dont think they do anymore and if they do money spent on academies will be wasted.

Guest Big Guns

you posted 'Or maybe they nurture their kids and treat them with respect. Where as most of our kids are bullied out of the game at 8, 9 and 10 years old' So you meant most of our kids except those at Man City?

I am saying I dont think they do anymore and if they do money spent on academies will be wasted.

well your posts earlier indicated that you thought it was ok for them to be flaps to the kids

Guest Fedor

Its not a trick Fedor, this is a part of why all academies play Sunday league sides. Openly discussed with managers before hand.

I've very recently pulled my 8 year old from Shirecliffe and turned down potential opportunites at other academies. There are tougher coaches down there than Mark, who was always fine with me and my lad.

Its a tough regime at Shirecliffe, but the training is excellent and professional. My lad wasn't ready for this. However some lads clearly are.

My lad however is so much happier, now he's back in Sunday league, but one day this may change.

I want to bring up a well balanced nice lad. IMO having him in any academy set up, would have made this harder. Its a very competitive environment - not suited for all, and not forced on anyone.

When my lads team went there, it was agreed we play 6 aside as that was what we played on Sundays.

When we got there we played 8 aside on a full sized pitch with full sized nets.

When we had the audacity to score things changed and every decision was given against us.(no guesses for who gave all the decisions).We got a bit of a hiding and we had no subs, our kids came off knackered.

The young blade lads played excellent football I am not knocking his coaching methods.

Guest Fedor

No I have only experience with Man City and Sheffield United. I was comparing the difference.

Interesting that you say think.

When those of us with experience know different.

When my lads team went there, it was agreed we play 6 aside as that was what we played on Sundays.

When we got there we played 8 aside on a full sized pitch with full sized nets.

When we had the audacity to score things changed and every decision was given against us.(no guesses for who gave all the decisions).We got a bit of a hiding and we had no subs, our kids came off knackered.

The young blade lads played excellent football I am not knocking his coaching methods.

Presumably this must have been for an older age group U11s U12s.

All my lads games at Shirecliffe v Sunday leagues sides were on short 5 a side 3G pitches  5, 6 or 7 a side with small Hockey style nets.

My son would have loved to have played the game situation, you've described. He is quick and wasn't able to show this well in the Shirecliffe games. A complaint of mine was that they didn't have enough 7v7 games on a full 7 aside pitch.

Guest Fedor

Presumably this must have been for an older age group U11s U12s.

All my lads games at Shirecliffe v Sunday leagues sides were on short 5 a side 3G pitches  5, 6 or 7 a side with small Hockey style nets.

My son would have loved to have played the game situation, you've described. He is quick and wasn't able to show this well in the Shirecliffe games. A complaint of mine was that they didn't have enough 7v7 games on a full 7 aside pitch.

It  was an under 8s game on an indoor pitch.

It  was an under 8s game on an indoor pitch.

We might be splitting hairs here, but they do play matches using most of the length of the indoor, which makes it about a 7 a side pitch length and bigger, though not full size nets.

But obviously you didn't enjoy your experience there.

Things must be changing for the better as we have gone from constant moaning about our academy to belittling the blunts academy. From speaking to one or two parents that had boys at Shirecliffe they didnt like certain coaches there and preferred the coaches at our academy. As stated above Mr Grayson is getting a little worried now that we are starting to get our act together.

Guest Fedor

We might be splitting hairs here, but they do play matches using most of the length of the indoor, which makes it about a 7 a side pitch length and bigger, though not full size nets.

But obviously you didn't enjoy your experience there.

Yes not going to argue, you are a decent poster but it was definitely full sized nets.

Guest AbbeyOwl

No I have only experience with Man City and Sheffield United. I was comparing the difference.

Interesting that you say think.

When those of us with experience know different.

You say most of the kids in this country aged 8,9 and 10 are bullied, thats rubbish

Guest Fedor

You say most of the kids in this country aged 8,9 and 10 are bullied, thats rubbish

Most of us in this thread are talking from experience. You on the other hand are just being argumentative for the sake of it.

Guest AbbeyOwl

Most of us in this thread are talking from experience. You on the other hand are just being argumentative for the sake of it.

You told us most of the kids at football academies aged 8,9 and 10 are bullied and that is why we as a footballing nation have failed. That is absolute rubbish, why not just say you made a mistake or got a bit carried away, instead of turning it personal, you have no idea of what experience I have, in my family 3 people have played professional football, a couple of my friends have, one for Utd one for Wednesday, so I would say I have a reasonable idea what happens within football clubs. Yes it is a cutthroat business totally focussed on results and you have to be a pretty strong character to make it.

We have not failed as a footballing nation because 8,9 and 10 year olds are bullied, it is a daft statement

Do you ever wonder why our national team is failing miserably and rapidly going downhill?

Maybe its because the grass roots coaches prefer to win plastic baubles and keep their best players rather than let them have the chance to progress at professional clubs?

Maybe because the part-time Mourinho's send the academy scouts packing - btw clubs cannot refuse scouts attending

The very reason the FA want to do away with competitive football for all kids

Guest AbbeyOwl

Whenever I have seen kids football it seems more the parents who bully and pressurise the kids and the referee. The reason the kids are there ie to enjoy themselves seems to be totally forgotten. 

Guest Deleted member

Maybe its because the grass roots coaches prefer to win plastic baubles and keep their best players rather than let them have the chance to progress at professional clubs?

Maybe because the part-time Mourinho's send the academy scouts packing - btw clubs cannot refuse scouts attending

The very reason the FA want to do away with competitive football for all kids

^^ This

Whenever I have seen kids football it seems more the parents who bully and pressurise the kids and the referee. The reason the kids are there ie to enjoy themselves seems to be totally forgotten. 

^^ and this

Guest AbbeyOwl

Why are 8,9 and 10 year olds going to academies and having the pressure of being associated to professional clubs. Wouldn't it be better for football to be played at school, school teams play other schools from say 12 onwards, when the kids can understand 20 of them shouldn't just chase a ball. Then the coach / pe teacher at school put kids forward for trials, that is how it worked years ago, was it so wrong, take parents and the pressure totally out of it.

Sorry I realise I have no experience ;o)

Guest Fedor

At our club we openly encourage players to go and train at the local Academies and walk in centres. Everyone at our club is told to embrace the FA code of respect. They are all sent the video. We were placed well above average marks for the fairplay conduct point system. I am not the manager by the way.