Out of contract players- who stays, who goes

Guest Johnbloodaxe

Keep:

Kirkland

Reda

Semedo

Llera

Think it's obvious that Kirkland & Semedo need to be kept on. I feel that our defensive depth is an issue highlighted this season. We all know that MM won't back Gray enough to sign 3 centre backs which is what we would need if Gooch was to move on & we let all our out of contract CB's leave. Llera is a liability at times, but he keeps himself in good shape and I'm fine to have him in the squad as 4th/5th choice CB. If he's not needed at all by January we can sell him/loan him out. Reda can play LB or CB & is still only 26. A valuable player to have around the squad & would be stupid to let him go. People talk about his injury record but Mattock's hardly kept injury free either has he? Neither Reda or Llera will be on MASSIVE wages, give them year extensions unless MM can fork out money for better 'squad players'

Try and do a deal for:

Onyewu - though I doubt he'll stay

Loovens - crucial

Let go of:

Prutton

JJ 

Taylor

Davies

Unfortunate that we have to move the likes of Prutton & JJ on. I like Prutton & would like to see him return one day in a coaching role. JJ's been a good servant but he's barely done anything this season. For the likes of Mayor or even Stobbs to get a chance next season we need to free up some room in the winger positions. Taylor has had little impact here, I still think he's a good CB and will stand by that...but he's coming towards the end of a decent career and it's best for him to move somewhere where he'll enjoy his final seasons. His family live in Birmingham so I could see him being somewhere like Walsall or even Coventry next season. Whilst Taylor needs to find somewhere to end his career Davies needs to find somewhere to properly start his career. Young lad, impressed for the Development Squad but realistically he's never gonna make it here. He should follow O'Donnell's lead and find a league one or two club who he will be first choice at. 

Undecided:

Gardner

It's a tricky situation but, once again considering our centre back issues, I'd offer him a deal. However I would only offer him a pay as you play contract with his wages dropping. If he plays so many games by January his wages can go back up & he can get another years extension. If he doesn't like it he can lump it, he won't get a better team with his injury record + age.

This, a good balance, not totally decimating the squad but allowing enough to leave to raise wages for new players.

You need 3rd and 4th choice players at the back and Reda \ Llera are that, MM wont sign 4 or 5 defenders plus midfielders and strikers too. so rather keep a couple of the lower wage players, and we know what we are getting, we could bring in 3rd 4th choice backs who could be worse... look at Zayatte for example.

All those saying reda is crap, look at the squad win rate with him in the team and without! You'll be surprised!

Plus he scores when he wants, 1 year rolling deal

I don't think anyone is saying he's crap just never fit, there's a difference.

Keep

Kirkland

Madine

Gardner

Try and keep hold of loovens and onyewu

Let go of:

Prutton

JJ 

Taylor

Davies

Reda

Semedo

Llera

Zayatte

Can't keep hold of players based on popularity from performances 1 or 2 years ago now, or them being "really nice guys".

Out of contract players:

Keep:

Kirkland

Loovens

Reda

Semedo

Davies

Unsure:

Onyewu

Gardner

Release:

JJ

Prutton

Taylor

Floro

Llera

Loans:

Martinez - Go back

Oshilaja - Go back

Hutchinson - Sign him up if possible

Afobe - Go back

Best - Go back

Savic - Go back

Fairly sure Gardner will retire , will be surprised if he doesn't

Again, what's that based on? Has he told you? I wouldn't put 2+2 together in his case. 33yrs old, nasty injury, but doesn't necessarily mean retirement. Based on how well he did for us last season, I hope he makes it back.

Based on nothing but my own personal opinion.

He's a player with a poor record of injuries throughout his career who never looks particularly fit even when playing, and he has just had one of the worst injuries a footballer can get, I can't see him coming back to a level he would want to play at at this stage, nor can I see him being offered a new deal here, unless it's on greatly reduced terms.

Time will tell though of course, he and Reda could suddenly find themselves completely injury free and play 40 games next year which would only be a good thing, but surely even to the most optimistic of us, that's really unlikely.

To be fair to Gardner he only has to look at Beckham. Didn't he have the same injury at a similar age? Now I know Beckham probably had the worlds best physio's nursing him back but there's no reason someone can't come back from it. Hope Gardner proves his fitness, even if it means a pay as you play. He's still as good as anything we're likely to go out and sign.

Again, what's that based on? Has he told you? I wouldn't put 2+2 together in his case. 33yrs old, nasty injury, but doesn't necessarily mean retirement. Based on how well he did for us last season, I hope he makes it back.

He will retire

I don't think anyone is saying he's crap just never fit, there's a difference.

Yes, but there are some who have said hes rubbish or he'd be 3rd choice! imo one year rolling contract to prove his fitness if it doesnt work out oh well but hes still an infectious character to have around the club

Can't pay players to "have them around the club" though

You pay them to play, nothing more. The big clubs at the top if the prem can afford to take gambles on fitness like that, but I really don't know if we can.

I'd release Gardner, he is one of the top earners if not the top earner, good player for us last season, but it's not value to keep him on, and the injury he has is one of the worst you can get in football. He won't be the same player IMO

Better off spending those wages elsewhere.

Kirkland, Onyewu, Loovens, Semedo.

That's it. Complete rebuilding this summer.

Serious question - who do you see ever shelling out significant money for Reda?

Who would potentially carry the bigger transfer fee? Reda on a 2 yr deal, or loovens?

The logical choice is to keep reda. The likelihood is gardner, taylor and gooch will be off. Which leaves kamikaze plus possibly loovens. Meaning we need to sign at least 2, possibly 3 centre backs. If I had a leftback choice of mattock or reda, it'd be reda. If I had to choose between kamikaze and reda at centre back, itd be reda.

We would have made a reasonable return if we'd sold reda last summer. Before his injury, he was in good form for us.

If we hadnt rushed him back as often as we did, I doubt his injury record would be anything like it is now.

"Coke is shlt...Coke is shlt....Coke is shlt"

Posters are sheep... posters are sheep.... posters are sheep.

But he was poo poo in that one game against Charlton that more people went to because it was a big game and tickets were cheap.

Funny how that seems to have swung a lot of opinions...

Reda, Top man. If he would take a pay as you play contract, then maybe. But, id rather free his wages up for that other R. Johnson on west hams bench. Him and loovens would be a good pairing I reckon. Plus a young talent, Buxton and semedo for cover.

Not me who's decided, care to make a bet on it? No worries of not sir

why would i want to bet on it? i just hope for his sake that he returns to full fitness. At this stage, i'd have thought all outcomes are possible; he might retire, he might prove fitness and earn a new deal, or he could end up playing for someone else. But i'm prepared to wait before writing him off. I don't understand why others are so keen to do so.