Out of contract players- who stays, who goes

Guest AbbeyOwl

He has to be on the pitch to do anything and he is rarely on it, who can tell me now what is actually wrong with him? How long as he been out must be months, Semedo is hoping to be fit soon and he broke his leg. Reda for me is an enigma

If we keep Loovens and Gardner and they play together, it will be the most 'laid back' centre-half pairing of any team ever.  I don't know if the pairing would be any good but there definitely wouldn't be any panicking in the centre of our defence.  I'd love to see that. 

Guest wilyfox

And another about to leave the club

JJ's had his time; he's nearly 34. Reda still has many years left in him, and still holds financial value.

Guest wilyfox

If we keep Loovens and Gardner and they play together, it will be the most 'laid back' centre-half pairing of any team ever.  I don't know if the pairing would be any good but there definitely wouldn't be any panicking in the centre of our defence.  I'd love to see that.

Sharpe and the Gardfather lol

He has to be on the pitch to do anything and he is rarely on it, who can tell me now what is actually wrong with him? How long as he been out must be months, Semedo is hoping to be fit soon and he broke his leg. Reda for me is an enigma

Reda is a conundrum wrapped in a mystery, buried in an enigma

Guest AbbeyOwl

JJ's had his time; he's nearly 34. Reda still has many years left in him, and still holds financial value.

Why what club will pay good money for someone who is injured more than he is fit

Guest wilyfox

Why what club will pay good money for someone who is injured more than he is fit

If he gets over his niggles, his value would be restored. We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. You want rid, I'd keep hold. Let's leave it there...and go again tomorrow

lol

Guest JonTheOwl66

But I don't consider Reda to be deadwood. He's an influential player of a good age, and worth a six-figure sum. We've put 3+1/2yrs into his development - with possibly his best yet to come. He has the summer months to recover from any knocks, strains and niggles. Unless there's an underlying medical problem meaning his injuries would persist, I'd keep him.

He isn't worth six figures to us, or any team.

He's not a footballer, he really isn't very good at all. He's big, hes strong and he's clumsy.

That's pretty much all he offers to the team. He may be a cult figure, but that's because hes crap.

We want to improve. No room for kindness here. Mattock is a better footballer who can actually control a ball and offers something going forward.

I'm aware I'm being harsh, but I admit he's fairly effective when fully fit.

Sadly, he isn't ever fully fit. Even the games he's played he hasn't been fully fit. This injury struggle hasn't just been this year, it's been over two years now that he's struggled.

Guest AbbeyOwl

If he gets over his niggles, his value would be restored. We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. You want rid, I'd keep hold. Let's leave it there...and go again tomorrow

lol

Would love him here if fit, just so disappointing when he goes off sick in the middle of winter, there is a definite pattern.

They're not just niggles though unfortunately, if they were and he was just missing the odd game here and there, it would be frustrating but I'd say we keep him, but he's out for 4 or 5 months at a time, he's worth nothing to us because he doesn't play and worth nothing to anybody else because he wouldn't pass their medical.

In Reda's position, we have 2 perfectly capable players who are generally available for 35-45+ games a season, why pay a 3rd player for whom 20 games is a big achievement?

It's a real shame because everybody would like him to stay, but the club is more important than a popular player

Edited by Lee A

Guest wilyfox

I'm aware I'm being harsh, but I admit he's fairly effective when fully fit.

That's an understatement. Long term, I don't see Reda as competition for Helan and Mattock. He'll probably return to CB at some point, with the benefit of experience his games at LB have given him. I'd keep Reda and let Llera go. I wouldn't judge him against our other LBs because he isn't one; it was a way to accommodate him in the team.

Guest JonTheOwl66

That's an understatement. Long term, I don't see Reda as competition for Helan and Mattock. He'll probably return to CB at some point, with the benefit of experience his games at LB have given him. I'd keep Reda and let Llera go. I wouldn't judge him against our other LBs because he isn't one; it was a way to accommodate him in the team.

Reda Johnson should never go anywhere near centre back for us again.

Guest wilyfox

In Reda's position, we have 2 perfectly capable players who are generally available for 35-45+ games a season

Who? Helan, yes. Mattock? No. Every time he gets a run in the team, he either breaks down or gets himself suspended. As I put in other posts, I see Reda moving back to CB long term anyway. But his versatility covering the two positions is a good reason for him to be the 3rd person you speak of.

Anyone remember Reda when we signed him and played him at CB? Was horrible watching him because you knew he was only ever 30 seconds away from a rick!

If he's to stay, it has to be as a left back. I really never want to see him at CB ever again, don't think my heart could take it!