Connor Wickham -do we need him back?

Ambitious, successful teams try to obtain the services of top calibre players that become available as long as they improve the overall standard of the squad, regardless of current situations and timings.

No brainer.

So you'd rather spend about £200k now on his wages and loan fee when we're not going to finish any higher than midtable at best anyway - rather than keep that £200k and use it towards loaning him or another quality striker next season when we start again at level pegging?

Guest JonTheOwl66

Ambitious, successful teams try to obtain the services of top calibre players that become available as long as they improve the overall standard of the squad, regardless of current situations and timings.

No brainer.

This

Guest Big Guns

No brainer.

This sums it up and wot we are up perfectly

Guest JonTheOwl66

Easy to say we should just get him back to fire us up to 12th-13th place when it's not your £200k, isn't it?

What's the point in going to work if you're never going to get a promotion?

There's absolutely no point now. 

We ain't going up, we ain't going down - so, to the usual mob, what exactly is the point of bringing him in?

Save the money (we ain't exactly got a lot, if some of you hadn't noticed) and maybe, just maybe we can try and bring him in next season. 

No doubt we will be getting these threads for the next two years. 

So-long Ben Marshall threads. 

Welcome Connor Wickham threads. 

What's the point in going to work if you're never going to get a promotion?

What's the point in making stupid analogies? 

Guest JonTheOwl66

I guess no fans may as well turn up again to Hillsborough this season then

Seasons over, nothings going to happen.

Let's all stay at home and not bother.

So you'd rather spend about £200k now on his wages and loan fee when we're not going to finish any higher than midtable at best anyway - rather than keep that £200k and use it towards loaning him or another quality striker next season when we start again at level pegging?

Where did you get 200k from? Just make it up? 5 weeks left of the season, he's on 25k a week. No way would we be near paying all of it but even if we did that's 125k. If Sunderland didn't want him for the rest of the season there is also no way there would be loan fee ontop of wages. 100k max he would cost for 5 weeks if he was allowed to leave. Also I do agree with wanting more for the budget next year, but in all honesty I don't think anything we spend this year has a large direct affect on next years budget. We spend peanuts in comparison to most and that more than likely wont change next year. If for example we needed to loan somebody because we were in a relegation battle I don't believe there would be any change from the next seasons budget if we remained in the same league.

I'd like to bring him back but there really isn't much reason to at this stage of our season. Moving up a few league spots won't pay much prize money. The only thing I can think of is there could potentially be a direct correlation between tickets sold and a player of Wickhams quality signing so therefore we garner more income.

Where did you get 200k from? Just make it up? 5 weeks left of the season, he's on 25k a week. No way would we be near paying all of it but even if we did that's 125k. If Sunderland didn't want him for the rest of the season there is also no way there would be loan fee ontop of wages. 100k max he would cost for 5 weeks if he was allowed to leave. Also I do agree with wanting more for the budget next year, but in all honesty I don't think anything we spend this year has a large direct affect on next years budget. We spend peanuts in comparison to most and that more than likely wont change next year. If for example we needed to loan somebody because we were in a relegation battle I don't believe there would be any change from the next seasons budget if we remained in the same league.

I'd like to bring him back but there really isn't much reason to at this stage of our season. Moving up a few league spots won't pay much prize money. The only thing I can think of is there could potentially be a direct correlation between tickets sold and a player of Wickhams quality signing so therefore we garner more income.

Yeah £200k perhaps a bit overestimated, but we'd still have to loan him for 2 months as far as I know - you can't just loan somebody and say that you're only going to keep and pay them until 5pm on the last game of the season, there's a period of days or possibly even weeks when a "season long loan" runs until after the final game. Possibly until the play-offs are concluded, I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, point I was making is that there's little point in spending a wedge on him now when realistically even if he bangs a few more goals in we're not going to be higher than midtable, and we'd be better off adding that cash to next season's budget to loan either him or somebody else that we may need in an emergency. £100k may not sound like a lot in football terms, but it could loan us a quality player for a couple of months if (or more likely when!) we're desperate.

Edited by alanharper