Connor Wickham -do we need him back?

I see that he has returned to Sunderland from leeds.

As much as it is nice to have a player of his calibre here at Hillsborough, do we need him this season?

It looks like we are going to finish around mid table so would it be pointless paying for his services for the rest of the season? Unless there is a chance of us buying him wouldn't we be better off saving the money and give madine and lavery plenty of game time?

if it doesn't cost us anything, then why not. otherwise, lets save the cash for next season.

not sure I'd bother letting madine get game time tho. rather nuhiu start than him... maybe give him a place on the bench tho?

Edited by POWP

It'd be great to get him back, get the feel good factor back, finish the season off with a few victories instead of letting the season die out.

We know that MM won't spend more than he has too but for me finishing the season on a high keeps people's interest and makes them look forward to next season with a more positive outlook, which in turn may boost season ticket sales.

It's a no brainer for me, get him back MM, Please.

Guest AbbeyOwl

I actually think we need him for financial reasons, the crowds are going to dwindle with basically nothing to play for, he would bring a bit of excitement for the remainder of the season, if he can be part of encouraging say 1k more people to the games he will be worth it, if MM is looking to sell as we know he is he needs to keep revenue and interest as high as possible.

I actually think we need him for financial reasons, the crowds are going to dwindle with basically nothing to play for, he would bring a bit of excitement for the remainder of the season, if he can be part of encouraging say 1k more people to the games he will be worth it, if MM is looking to sell as we know he is he needs to keep revenue and interest as high as possible.

I don't think signing Connor Wickham on loan again would persuade 1,000 people to come to a game all of a sudden!

Don't really need him again this season, to be honest. Probably not worth the expense when the play offs are realistically beyond us and relegation unlikely, it's a lot of money when the difference his goals make could be the difference between, for example, finishing 11th and finishing 16th.

Would absolutely love him on a season long loan for next season though, but that really depends on Sunderland's fate - if they get relegated then they'd probably keep him as they'll have far bigger earners to get rid of and although Wickham will still be on a hefty wage by Championship standards they'd be mad not to keep a young striker who's already proven at this level. If they stay up and still don't fancy him in the Prem they'll probably look to bring in another striker or two anyway as Altidore is pants city.