Chris Maguire wins February Player of the month.

Good choice, I wonder why DJ never rated him? 

Bizarrely he seemed to when he signed him on STUART  GRAY's advice - off Official Site when we signed him. But as he goes on to say he prefers not to use too many loans so I assume DJ was a schizo!

PUBLISHED

13:35 22nd June 2012

'A quality player' says Owls boss

Owls chief Dave Jones says he has snared a quality player in the shape of creative forward Chris Maguire, who put pen to paper on a three-year contract at Hillsborough on Thursday.

The Scottish international forward joined Wednesday from Championship rivals Derby for an undisclosed fee and Jones is confident that the Owls have a player on board whose worth will only grow.

He told swfc.co.uk: "I'm really pleased to do this deal because Chris is not only a good player now, he also has a lot of potential for the future and will become an even better player.

"He's a talented lad, he works hard, he runs the lines really well and he's a team player who will create opportunities for others as well as scoring goals for himself."

Maguire initially came to Jones' attention during the back end of last season, when the 23-year-old striker enjoyed a productive loan spell on the South Coast with Portsmouth, for whom he scored three goals in 11 appearances:

"We heard some really good reports on Chris when he was down at Portsmouth. He was coached by Stuart Gray, who told us he is a really good player.

"I'm looking forward to working with him, as I am all of the new players we have brought in so far."

The Owls have recruited five players in the transfer window to date, with the promise of more to come over the course of the summer.

Each of the five have arrived on permanent deals but Jones also has the option of loans, although the manager has expressed a preference to recruit players on a full time basis.

He said: "There may be one or two loans but I do prefer to bring in players who we can call our own so that way we are not reliant on loans.

"That's not to say I won't use the option of loan players but I do prefer permanent deals."

All things considered, it is sure to be a new-look Wednesday side that kicks off their Championship campaign against Derby at Pride Park on 18 August.

And Jones is eagerly anticipating the curtain-raiser in the Midlands, with his side doubtless backed by a sell-out following from Sheffield.

He added: "I always look forward to the start of a new season, just as much as I look forward to the end of a season if we are doing well.

"A lot of the teams in the Championship have played their football in the Premiership so we are sure to visit plenty of big grounds and see games with great atmospheres, especially with the quality and numbers of our supporters.

"We start with a tough game but it doesn't really matter who we are playing on the first day because the Championship is a tough division.

"I'm really looking forward to getting started because next season will be a great occasion for this football club."

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Bit surprised actually.  Thought he was better in January but hey ho....congratulations Chrissy boy!

I thought he had a bad month in Feb. The only player who I thought was consistent was Mattock strangely, and I do not rate him.

I hope you carry on thinking Maguire has a "bad month" for the rest of the season if scoring 2 of our 5 league goals in Feb from wide areas is bad! :biggrin:

I hope you carry on thinking Maguire has a "bad month" for the rest of the season if scoring 2 of our 5 league goals in Feb from wide areas is bad! :biggrin:

Whilst delivering bad free kicks and corners, there fore not creating any more goals. (Yeah ok....)

Whilst delivering bad free kicks and corners, there fore not creating any more goals. (Yeah ok....)

Actually that is a fair point as he could do better from dead balls but overall well deserved for Maguire. Great example of how hard work and having a manager that knows what he's doing can make a player.