How many fans do we have abroad and are YOU one of them ?

Currently living in Christchurch New Zealand. Been here 2 and a half years now

Seen one wednesday fan here so far doing his shopping at Pak n Save. Not seen many of the top 4 sides as well, there seems to be a big mix of fans down here.

On the odd occassion, i'll get up at 4am to watch Wednesday if live on the Freeview sports channel (seen us beat Leeds, Reading, Barnsley so far). It's quite tough to follow football here now, Sky used to have all coverage but it's all gone online. They do a good highlights package showing goals of the week Wednesday evenings

Quite tough to get any decent football coverage round here anyway. It's all about Richie McCaw and the Crusaders in Christchurch. Already talk of pressure being put under Blackadder.

Guest smileymiley1980

Melbourne. Been here 3 and 1/2 years, but moving back to blighty in 3 weeks

I didn't know there were so many Melbournians on here......too little too late, to meet for the matches at Charles Dickens pub!

Oh well.

Not been to Hillsborough for 3 and 1/2 years!

I'm another one in super natural British Columbia (Vancouver).

Quite a few Italian coffee shops around me show the Champions league matches, which have a 1145am kick off.  We never get Monday night games and even if we did I'd struggle to find somewhere showing it.    So I sit around in my pants at home on a Saturday morning, drinking coffee, watching Jeff Stelling and his lot at 7am.

After 13 long Alberta winters I made the move to Vancouver Island which has to be one of the best places on planet Earth to live.  Would be interested to find out if there are any other Owls on the island.

Been a Sydney Owl since 1990 when I moved here from Wakey, but I have made it back for all major events and did a two year stint back in UK between 2007-2009 and made it a mission to attend as many away games as possible.

In 90's when I was a young free single man I would always book my return trips to UK around big games. My mum who never gave a flying fik about football before became a Wednesday fan as she knew if they did well it guaranteed a visit from prodigal son.

I am so used to getting up anywhere between 2am and 6am to watch or listen to games now it is just normal.

Guest Jack52

Great idea for a thread @owlstalk. Been a real pleasure to see so much interest from Owls fans living abroad. Great posts. Most enjoyable read.

I’m Sheffield based, but it’s been an eye-opener seeing the practical hurdles Owls fans jump across the globe have to get their weekly fix of blue & white wizardry. Obviously, 3pm (or 7.45pm) here is an entirely different business for those living on the other side of the globe. Plus all the technical difficulties, even in the cyber age.

I have to say I felt slightly guilty about my own moan when the recent Charlton game was postponed after reading Rock’s account of travelling from Gibraltar for the same game.

So, a salute to all you global Owls fans sharing the pleasure, oops, pain. Brand Wednesday, eh?

One plea, though. It’s bad enough being referred to as a ‘Brit’ when I travel overseas, even in English speaking countries. Our American cousins are particularly adept at this lazy shorthand. However, there’s no need for a Briton to encourage this sort of sloppiness, as a couple of posters have. You’re British or a Briton, not a ‘Brit’. It’s the thin end of the wedge. Queen Liz, next, or is your 'soccer' team London Wednesday? Standards, chaps. Be polite, it’s not the fault of the individual that the American education system can’t get past 4 letters to describe those of us from Britain. Polite, but firm.

Finally, for all of you living in warmer climes, its 7.30am here and it’s a cold, grey and overcast morning here in Sheffield. Good morning and UTO, everyone. Thanks for the stories.

Guest gingerowl1

I live in Whakatane, North Island New Zealand. Moved here last September. Gave up my season ticket, which I had for 15years. Only managed to catch a couple of games. Was hoping we'd beat Charlton as the quarters are on the tv here....obviously everyone hoped we'd win but I was super gutted when we didn't!

Seems there are a few Auckland owls according to this thread!

Not sure if whakatane is near me or not. Can't get used to these bloody maori names. I'm in Miranda, so not quite Auckland.

Great idea for a thread @owlstalk. Been a real pleasure to see so much interest from Owls fans living abroad. Great posts. Most enjoyable read.

I’m Sheffield based, but it’s been an eye-opener seeing the practical hurdles Owls fans jump across the globe have to get their weekly fix of blue & white wizardry. Obviously, 3pm (or 7.45pm) here is an entirely different business for those living on the other side of the globe. Plus all the technical difficulties, even in the cyber age.

I have to say I felt slightly guilty about my own moan when the recent Charlton game was postponed after reading Rock’s account of travelling from Gibraltar for the same game.

So, a salute to all you global Owls fans sharing the pleasure, oops, pain. Brand Wednesday, eh?

One plea, though. It’s bad enough being referred to as a ‘Brit’ when I travel overseas, even in English speaking countries. Our American cousins are particularly adept at this lazy shorthand. However, there’s no need for a Briton to encourage this sort of sloppiness, as a couple of posters have. You’re British or a Briton, not a ‘Brit’. It’s the thin end of the wedge. Queen Liz, next, or is your 'soccer' team London Wednesday? Standards, chaps. Be polite, it’s not the fault of the individual that the American education system can’t get past 4 letters to describe those of us from Britain. Polite, but firm.

Finally, for all of you living in warmer climes, its 7.30am here and it’s a cold, grey and overcast morning here in Sheffield. Good morning and UTO, everyone. Thanks for the stories.

Great post that Jack52 and I will let you in on something on behalf of several other Overseas Owls (and a few closer to home)....if you don't get to the game sometime, why not join us in the chatroom - if the game is crap, the banter and laughter is belly aching funny.

nice, not too far from the coromandel then i guess?

im pretty far north for Auckland, on the whangaparaoa peninsula

Aye, about 40Km away. Not really had chance to get that far yet. Only arrived last Thursday. Start my job tomorrow in Pukekohe. What's your nearest town?

Aye, about 40Km away. Not really had chance to get that far yet. Only arrived last Thursday. Start my job tomorrow in Pukekohe. What's your nearest town?

Pukekohe is fairly laid back and quiet, was at a wedding just a bit further west in Waiuku last week.

quite a few places on the north shore that are fairly close. work in Albany which is about 25 mins away.

give me a shout if you need any help/advice and good luck in the new job!