How many fans do we have abroad and are YOU one of them ?

Used to go up to Terrigal all the time as a kid as my grandparents lived there. Grandfather is still kicking on but in a home unfortunately.

How can you support the Mariners? Links to the Blunts, Montgomery playing for them.

When the Mariners first started up there was no connection with United...they were the local side in the brand new A League, seemed like a good idea to get behind them.

When McCabe got involved with them I'll admit it did sour it a bit for me but, as a bit of time passed there was no obvious links so I let it go...when Monty came to the club I can't say it bothered me, my mates here some of whom are really into the Mariners were grilling me about him cos they knew I was from Sheffield...I told em I didn't really know cos he'd played for the dark side but all indications from Blades I know were that he's crap ;-)

In all fairness to him though he's been a success here, bit of a favourite with the fans...also don't know if "support" is the right word for me with them...I haven't been this season & only went to a handful of games last season when they won the grand final...no mate I go cos I love football but there's no way I could compare it to following the Owls, that's in my blood, anything else is just an interest, also when I do go it's a bit surreal when it's a warm summer's night & there's nothing but palm trees behind one of the goals ;-) 

Living in Michael Schumachers home town in Germany. Get to see Wednesday a couplle of times a year, last one Barnsley :) other than that rely on Wednesday player and online streams when available.

Just don't dive about mate, the Maori's waint take any crap from ya!

They all play that egg shaped sport, thankfully.

Keep getting asked if I play 'soccer'. Annoying. 

Great idea for a thread @owlstalk. Been a real pleasure to see so much interest from Owls fans living abroad. Great posts. Most enjoyable read.

I’m Sheffield based, but it’s been an eye-opener seeing the practical hurdles Owls fans jump across the globe have to get their weekly fix of blue & white wizardry. Obviously, 3pm (or 7.45pm) here is an entirely different business for those living on the other side of the globe. Plus all the technical difficulties, even in the cyber age.

I have to say I felt slightly guilty about my own moan when the recent Charlton game was postponed after reading Rock’s account of travelling from Gibraltar for the same game.

So, a salute to all you global Owls fans sharing the pleasure, oops, pain. Brand Wednesday, eh?

One plea, though. It’s bad enough being referred to as a ‘Brit’ when I travel overseas, even in English speaking countries. Our American cousins are particularly adept at this lazy shorthand. However, there’s no need for a Briton to encourage this sort of sloppiness, as a couple of posters have. You’re British or a Briton, not a ‘Brit’. It’s the thin end of the wedge. Queen Liz, next, or is your 'soccer' team London Wednesday? Standards, chaps. Be polite, it’s not the fault of the individual that the American education system can’t get past 4 letters to describe those of us from Britain. Polite, but firm.

Finally, for all of you living in warmer climes, its 7.30am here and it’s a cold, grey and overcast morning here in Sheffield. Good morning and UTO, everyone. Thanks for the stories.

with all due respect, I will ask my wife and American children to properly reference me as British rather than a Brit when people on here stop calling them yanks.

The American education system is better than you would imagine.

And for the record, I'm English first,and then British.

Guest Jack52

with all due respect, I will ask my wife and American children to properly reference me as British rather than a Brit when people on here stop calling them yanks.

The American education system is better than you would imagine.

And for the record, I'm English first,and then British.

Thanks for response, Crosby.

It's hard for any of us to stop others using nicknames/shorthand about nationality. The point I was making is that we Britons shouldn't help them by scoring o.g.'s, i.e. using 'Brit' ourselves.

Myself, I've always thought it bad manners to call an American 'Yank' in his/her company. Indeed, I've always found it a clumsy and ugly word and don't use it even out of earshot of our American cousins. I’m not responsible for what other Owlstalkers say or do.

The American education dig was lighthearted, simply a way of conveying that 'Brit' is lazy and sloppy. It is.

Shamefully, the British, and especially English, education system is churning out some youngsters who are not best able to compete globally, so it’s difficult for anyone based in the UK to knock any other educational system.

Glad you’re positive about America. A fine place, with many fine, decent, hardworking folk, in my experience. It is possible to laugh, laugh fondly, at folk you care for. No Sheffield bloke would greet anyone with “hey up, you ugly old fart” (or worse) unless it was his pal or brother. Rough-edged love, has a special place in the hearts of (UK) Northerners, not least of all those from Sheffield.

Be proud to be British: many fine Scots built up The Wednesday in the early years. Welsh and Irish, too, but particularly Scots in the latter years of the 19th century.

UTO.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

They all play that egg shaped sport, thankfully.

Keep getting asked if I play 'soccer'. Annoying.

Just say no mate.

Here we go.

You weren't actually one of them :-)

But there are a couple of people in particular who have really strong opinions and will tell you black is white and DJ was a good manager.

Then suddenly you find out they don't go to games or live in the country and it makes you wonder how they know so much

You weren't actually one of them :-)

But there are a couple of people in particular who have really strong opinions and will tell you black is white and DJ was a good manager.

Then suddenly you find out they don't go to games or live in the country and it makes you wonder how they know so much

lol

Fair enough.

You'd be amazed at the length's we go to watch games though! Dodgy feeds, meeting in pubs first thing in the morning etc.

We (the expats) probably get 7-8 televised games a season. Cup runs help as well!

Thanks for response, Crosby.

It's hard for any of us to stop others using nicknames/shorthand about nationality. The point I was making is that we Britons shouldn't help them by scoring o.g.'s, i.e. using 'Brit' ourselves.

Myself, I've always thought it bad manners to call an American 'Yank' in his/her company. Indeed, I've always found it a clumsy and ugly word and don't use it even out of earshot of our American cousins. I’m not responsible for what other Owlstalkers say or do.

The American education dig was lighthearted, simply a way of conveying that 'Brit' is lazy and sloppy. It is.

Shamefully, the British, and especially English, education system is churning out some youngsters who are not best able to compete globally, so it’s difficult for anyone based in the UK to knock any other educational system.

Glad you’re positive about America. A fine place, with many fine, decent, hardworking folk, in my experience. It is possible to laugh, laugh fondly, at folk you care for. No Sheffield bloke would greet anyone with “hey up, you ugly old fart” (or worse) unless it was his pal or brother. Rough-edged love, has a special place in the hearts of (UK) Northerners, not least of all those from Sheffield.

Be proud to be British: many fine Scots built up The Wednesday in the early years. Welsh and Irish, too, but particularly Scots in the latter years of the 19th century.

UTO.

Don't worry Jack, I'm the only one on our street who flies the George Cross on April 23rd.

Guest York-owl-chris

Surely Barnsley counts ?

It's easy being a fan in all these nice fluffy, warm countries watching online, but try living in 6 fingered farmland, surrounded by Butch Dingles brothers, still bitter about us pinching Danny Wilson when he was only half poo poo.

accidently negged you - plus yourself...post made me laugh lol

I live at the North Pole.  I've managed to convert a couple of Polar Bears that live on the iceberg just across from me, but otherwise not a lot of interest from the natives.  Don't get down to Hillsborough as much as I used to, or would like to.  Am I missing anything?

I live at the North Pole.  I've managed to convert a couple of Polar Bears that live on the iceberg just across from me, but otherwise not a lot of interest from the natives.  Don't get down to Hillsborough as much as I used to, or would like to.  Am I missing anything?

Surely your avatar should be one of these.

snowy-owl_2.jpg

Guest gingerowl1

Not sure if whakatane is near me or not. Can't get used to these bloody maori names. I'm in Miranda, so not quite Auckland.

We are past tauranga in the Bay of Plenty. About three hours from Auckland. Whakatane is a tough on to pronounce, its focka tar nay phonetically......

Guest gingerowl1

nice, not too far from the coromandel then i guess?

im pretty far north for Auckland, on the whangaparaoa peninsula

Yeah no too far, although  I havent been to the coromandel yet! Only got here in September.

I have been upto the Bay of Islands though, beautiful up there.