How many fans do we have abroad and are YOU one of them ?

Great idea for a thread @owlstalk. Been a real pleasure to see so much interest from Owls fans living abroad. Great posts. Most enjoyable read.

I’m Sheffield based, but it’s been an eye-opener seeing the practical hurdles Owls fans jump across the globe have to get their weekly fix of blue & white wizardry. Obviously, 3pm (or 7.45pm) here is an entirely different business for those living on the other side of the globe. Plus all the technical difficulties, even in the cyber age.

I have to say I felt slightly guilty about my own moan when the recent Charlton game was postponed after reading Rock’s account of travelling from Gibraltar for the same game.

So, a salute to all you global Owls fans sharing the pleasure, oops, pain. Brand Wednesday, eh?

One plea, though. It’s bad enough being referred to as a ‘Brit’ when I travel overseas, even in English speaking countries. Our American cousins are particularly adept at this lazy shorthand. However, there’s no need for a Briton to encourage this sort of sloppiness, as a couple of posters have. You’re British or a Briton, not a ‘Brit’. It’s the thin end of the wedge. Queen Liz, next, or is your 'soccer' team London Wednesday? Standards, chaps. Be polite, it’s not the fault of the individual that the American education system can’t get past 4 letters to describe those of us from Britain. Polite, but firm.

Finally, for all of you living in warmer climes, its 7.30am here and it’s a cold, grey and overcast morning here in Sheffield. Good morning and UTO, everyone. Thanks for the stories.

definitely this, been an interesting read. I am also sheffield-based, can't help but feel my life is extremely dull now! My mum lived in augsburg, germany for a few years but other than that I have no real ties outside the uk. Really like the sound of either America or Oceania, but not sure I could bare not being able to watch the owls every week (I type as I prepare to purchase a season ticket for next season).

Guest Jack52

Great post that Jack52 and I will let you in on something on behalf of several other Overseas Owls (and a few closer to home)....if you don't get to the game sometime, why not join us in the chatroom - if the game is crap, the banter and laughter is belly aching funny.

Great idea for a thread @owlstalk. Been a real pleasure to see so much interest from Owls fans living abroad. Great posts. Most enjoyable read.

I’m Sheffield based, but it’s been an eye-opener seeing the practical hurdles Owls fans jump across the globe have to get their weekly fix of blue & white wizardry. Obviously, 3pm (or 7.45pm) here is an entirely different business for those living on the other side of the globe. Plus all the technical difficulties, even in the cyber age.

I have to say I felt slightly guilty about my own moan when the recent Charlton game was postponed after reading Rock’s account of travelling from Gibraltar for the same game.

So, a salute to all you global Owls fans sharing the pleasure, oops, pain. Brand Wednesday, eh?

One plea, though. It’s bad enough being referred to as a ‘Brit’ when I travel overseas, even in English speaking countries. Our American cousins are particularly adept at this lazy shorthand. However, there’s no need for a Briton to encourage this sort of sloppiness, as a couple of posters have. You’re British or a Briton, not a ‘Brit’. It’s the thin end of the wedge. Queen Liz, next, or is your 'soccer' team London Wednesday? Standards, chaps. Be polite, it’s not the fault of the individual that the American education system can’t get past 4 letters to describe those of us from Britain. Polite, but firm.

Finally, for all of you living in warmer climes, its 7.30am here and it’s a cold, grey and overcast morning here in Sheffield. Good morning and UTO, everyone. Thanks for the stories.

Great post that Jack52 and I will let you in on something on behalf of several other Overseas Owls (and a few closer to home)....if you don't get to the game sometime, why not join us in the chatroom - if the game is crap, the banter and laughter is belly aching funny.

Thanks, Bahrain. Will take up your suggestion.

..don't forget they will have to go through the initiation process...

Guest Jack52

m

Help anyone

(i) how do I remove a post altogether?

(ii) I've tried to use the 'help' page, but I really cannot sus the multiquote advise, i.e. using two separate posts in a single reply.

Thanks

Help anyone

(i) how do I remove a post altogether?

(ii) I've tried to use the 'help' page, but I really cannot sus the multiquote advise, i.e. using two separate posts in a single reply.

Thanks

(i) you cant remove after a certain time has elapsed.

(ii) press multiquote and select different peoples quotes and they stack up in your message.

Meeting adjourned

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Aye, about 40Km away. Not really had chance to get that far yet. Only arrived last Thursday. Start my job tomorrow in Pukekohe. What's your nearest town?

Just don't dive about mate, the Maori's waint take any crap from ya!

After 13 long Alberta winters I made the move to Vancouver Island which has to be one of the best places on planet Earth to live.  Would be interested to find out if there are any other Owls on the island.

Aren't you fed up with the rain yet? Surely you've missed our record-breaking cold and snow this winter?

It's been greeeaaat!

or maybe it hasn't

After 13 long Alberta winters I made the move to Vancouver Island which has to be one of the best places on planet Earth to live.  Would be interested to find out if there are any other Owls on the island.

Very nice place. Been to Victoria a few times and we were so struck with the city and surrounding area we considered me trying to find a job there. Beautiful place. 

Guest Jack52

This has been one of the most enjoyable threads I've seen on matchday for ages. Loads of good stories, no juvenile posts, and lots of humour. Great.

I’ve just started a thread in ‘Sheffield Wednesday Boardroom’. Title “Sheffield Wednesday: 7 chairmen in 10 years. How to shoot yourself in the foot?” A bit long, but hopefully worth the read.

I’d appreciate the views of Owls fans living afar. Sometimes distance can give a clearer perspective

Thanks in advance, folks.

Good morning or good night, depending on where you are. 5pm in Sheffield. Light drizzle, grey and overcast. Still it’s pie week. Apparently.

Guest Jack52

(i) you cant remove after a certain time has elapsed.

(ii) press multiquote and select different peoples quotes and they stack up in your message.

Meeting adjourned

Thanks, acquie.

We should make a big map, then people can find each other...

There was one on here (a couple of years back).

Everybody pinned where they lived.

Can't find the thread now though.  Probably lost in the great Google swears cull.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Aren't you fed up with the rain yet? Surely you've missed our record-breaking cold and snow this winter?

It's been greeeaaat!

or maybe it hasn't

The best thing about rain is you don't have to shovel it. :biggrin:  Having said that, we got dumped on big time, the weekend before last, (prob. about 18 inches or more of the white stuff) and it still hasn't gone yet, despite several days of rain and temperatures approaching 10 degrees Celcius.

The best thing about rain is you don't have to shovel it. :biggrin:  Having said that, we got dumped on big time, the weekend before last, (prob. about 18 inches or more of the white stuff) and it still hasn't gone yet, despite several days of rain and temperatures approaching 10 degrees Celcius.

I can tell your missing our -15s and 4 inches of snow overnight  :biggrin: