Sheffield Wednesday in Popular Culture

On 01/03/2014 at 13:35, SwissOwl8200 said:

20,000 leagues beneath the sea, it was called. My dad told me about it once but it was years later when I saw it for the first time.

Ok not exactly a war film, maybe you mean a different one Torryowl but there is a wednesday reference as you describe in this one.

Thats cos it was 

We Dive At Dawn Eric Portman is the sailor who hands a Blackburn Rovers looking shirt to the German saying here Sheffield Wednesday 

Edited by Lawrie Madden

2 hours ago, Oliver Cromwell said:

Bit vague this, but the bloke who used to introduce the acts on The Good Old Days was a Wednesday fan and once appeared as the Wednesday guest supporter on a football quiz show.

Can't remember his name or the name of the quiz show.

Quizball (I think David Vine was the compere) and the guy was called Leonard Sachs...I think he was the brother of Andrew Sachs who played Manuel in Fawlty Towers. Another guy who was on one year for Wednesday was the writer Stan Barstow (A Kind of Loving). My Mum was heartbroken because her favourite singer back then, Dave Berry appeared for the Blades.

14 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Theres an Episode of "Pie In The Sky " Lemon Twist i think is the episode 

Crabbe has to go on a training and evaluation course and one of the moderators during an orienteering session wears a SWFC Training Top 

Probably it was Tony Toms having them camping on the moors

On 01/03/2014 at 07:56, sheriwozgod said:

Christ knows how or why i remember this , but back in the early seventies there was a sitcom starring Wendy Craig called "And mother makes three" , about a single mom with two boys (quite an unusual thing in those days).

One of the lads is bringing his first girlfriend back for tea and his mother warns him not to bore her by talking about Sheffield Wednesday all night.

Also i seem to remember when the guy who played Tricky Dicky on Eastenders was once doing a scene in a shop where the windows had been whited over , and in the background you could see where he had drawn a little Wednesday Owl.

Memory not quite 100% there.

it was “butterflies “ and one of the sons was Nicholas “Rodney” Lyndhurst.

37 minutes ago, aussieowl87 said:

Guitarist's jacket...

No idea of the correlation...

We may never know either ?

That was Clive Shakespeare 

Originally from Southampton but moved to Australia as a kid.

Sadly died 7 years ago of cancer ..

Let's hope he's an owl flying high  ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, owler66 said:

Oh no it's Selwyn Froggatt, his brother has a Wednesday mug

You're talking about Our Maurice, who must be the first fictional Wednesdayite ever to appear on national tv

4364987_l3.jpg

The actor who played him - Bob Keegan, formerly in Z Cars - came round to our house many years ago with his wife to buy a puppy

I recognized him straight away and made him tea in my (identical) Owls mug - he got it straight away!

Nice fella

RIP  :sad:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

You're talking about Our Maurice, who must be the first fictional Wednesdayite ever to appear on national tv

4364987_l3.jpg

The actor who played him - Bob Keegan, formerly in Z Cars - came round to our house many years ago with his wife to buy a puppy

I recognized him straight away and made him tea in my (identical) Owls mug - he got it straight away!

Nice fella

RIP  :sad:

Bizarrely, he was a scouser and had a slight Scouse accent in the show

Guest addedtime
On 28/04/2019 at 11:16, robowl4life said:

You could’ve just said you watched it for Jenifer Ellison... 

Is that her with the huge........forehead?

1 hour ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Bizarrely, he was a scouser and had a slight Scouse accent in the show

That's right

Y' know, I don't think many of these fellas were actually 'actors'

I reckon they just went through the scripts pretty much as themselves  :rolleyes:

The old television series "Budgie" Adam Faith approaches a couple of miserable  Blades supporters at a pub bar and says summat like 

"How did you get on?"..just trying to be friendly...they just "grunt".... lost or summat and turn their backs on him ..he says 

"Never mind lads..."up The owls eh"...totally ignorant lol

• Haha 1