Sheffield Wednesday in Popular Culture

Just a little fun but wondering if you ever witnessed the unexpected mention of Sheffield Wednesday in TV Shows, Films, books and so on.

Here's two to kick off with:

• BBC Three Sitcom 'cuckoo' starring Andy Samberg and Greg Davies. Greg Davies character buys his dad tickets to see his beloved Wednesday (proper tickets like, wonder if any of the production team used them)
  • Remember watching Maid Marian and Her Merry Men and her merry men broke into a Wednesday chant.

Coronation Street: When Tommy Craig playing Tommy Harris In his first episode (I think) walked Into Rovers Return and they asked him If he was United or City and he turned round and said Neither I'm 'Wednesday'. 

Yeah, he would often wear Wednesday gear as well, quite subtle stuff, I'm sure he has a T-Shirt on in one episode that said "Owusu" on it. Think it was in the style of a bar code. 

One of Alistair Mcgowan's early impression series used to make Wednesday jokes all the time, one of the producers or directors must have been a fan because it happened so often it was ridiculous. 

Christ knows how or why i remember this , but back in the early seventies there was a sitcom starring Wendy Craig called "And mother makes three" , about a single mom with two boys (quite an unusual thing in those days).

One of the lads is bringing his first girlfriend back for tea and his mother warns him not to bore her by talking about Sheffield Wednesday all night.

Also i seem to remember when the guy who played Tricky Dicky on Eastenders was once doing a scene in a shop where the windows had been whited over , and in the background you could see where he had drawn a little Wednesday Owl.

Edited by sheriwozgod

Guest zipzippy

Sheffield Wednesday listed in the credits for Terence Trent derby's 80s album - introducing the hard line.