SWFC an inconsistent club - discuss

Looking through our stats recently I checked how many seasons we'd been outside the top flight in our history. I counted 45. We've been consistently up and down. Our longest run in the 1st division was 16 years.

With a few minutes on my hands I checked some teams that we would like to consider ourselves as historical competitors to:

Arsenal 13

Villa 10

Tottenham 15

Liverpool 10

Everton 4

Man City 25

Even WBA have a better stat - 34.

Now I'm not saying that today we should compare ourselves to these teams but I would argue that most Owls would consider these teams to be our "natural" competition - we see ourselves as a big club.

So why haven't we managed the kind of consistency and stability that these clubs have?

Thoughts?

PS I just counted these numbers from a list - no spreadsheet involved so they may not be exact but they're close.

Maybe because we was 20 mil in debt and since we been paying for it. Wish people would stop comparing us to this team or that team. Lets just concentrate being a championship club with not much money. Instead of comparing us to teams who are nothing like us.

Guest intercity0wl

Dunno why but Sheffield doesnt seem to be able to attract the crowds a city its size should.

Even if we merged we probably wouldnt match newcastle or Sunderland for attendances.

Liverpool and everton probably get double what us and pigs combined could achieve.

Maybe not for championship or league one football, but for Premier league a merged team would easily match the teams you mention, at least we would  if our ground capacity was as big as St James Park, Stadium of Light etc.

Dunno why but Sheffield doesnt seem to be able to attract the crowds a city its size should.

Even if we merged we probably wouldnt match newcastle or Sunderland for attendances.

Liverpool and everton probably get double what us and pigs combined could achieve.

in many ways the 90s glory period for Sheffield sport is still having an impact. I remember people going to Wednesday, Steelers and Eagles on a regular basis as they were successful teams to support and affordable to watch. The early 90s team are on such a high pedestal we will never be fully happy again... ever and i believe the Steelers are having such issues as SWFC at the moment with attendances etc

Maybe because we was 20 mil in debt and since we been paying for it. Wish people would stop comparing us to this team or that team. Lets just concentrate being a championship club with not much money. Instead of comparing us to teams who are nothing like us.

That's a recent phenomenon though. We've never been able to maintain a team good enough to stick it out in the top division - even when we were getting big crowds every week. 

I tend to think that the crowds come with success rather than the other way around. If we, or the pigs for that matter, had had the consistency in the top divisions that Liverpool and Everton have enjoyed I think our crowds would be on a par. 

Does anyone really consider Liverpool and spurs or natural competitors?

I guess that may depend on your age. If you at 20 you wouldn't if you are 50 you would.

Edited by jamthesun