Chris Powell receives racist tweets from so called Wednesday fans

I have not in any of this thread said that anyone deserves abuse for the colour of their skin. I condemn it in the strongest terms too. Neither have I any sympathy for those that pursue such activity if they are caught.

One thing that I do have strong feelings about is the use of social media by public or well known figures. There is and has always been means by which supporters can criticize the team or performances. However, media like Twitter are made for the wasters and idiots in society. They are here and still exist and they will go on existing. Racism to me is not any more offensive than sexual innuendo that certain female celebrities have to deal with online or some of the horrible xenophobia or homophobia that can often be seen on this site. It's apparently OK to call Jones a "fat scouse c**t" or indeed any Liverpudlian a "bin dipper". 

In my opinion, all public figures and especially celebrities should consider carefully the impact that social media has and how to handle it - and that includes the less desirable elements that use it to transmit bile and filth.

Looks like someone didn't get any followers

Correcting someone on a thread based on racism... its called common sense, some mixed raced people take offense to being called half-caste and rightly so,, so what's wrong with pointing this out??

Common sense gone mad

Please forgive me for listening in school and understanding the meaning of certain words.

caste, is primarily an asian terminology, mainly used to describe class and social divisions, see, i listened at school too

i was born in Page Hall, i have a circle of around 30% non white mates, i'm godfather to 3 West Indian kids, and my best man at my wedding was Yemeni, so if i use the term half caste,(which was perfectly acceptable up until recently) am i a racist?

caste, is primarily an asian terminology, mainly used to describe class and social divisions, see, i listened at school too

i was born in Page Hall, i have a circle of around 30% non white mates, i'm godfather to 3 West Indian kids, and my best man at my wedding was Yemeni, so if i use the term half caste,(which was perfectly acceptable up until recently) am i a racist?

1. it's not predominantly Asian, it's universal.

2. no it doesn't necessarily make you racist if you know the connotations, just ignorant

oh and i was also born in 2 mins from firth park

1. it's not predominantly Asian, it's universal.

2. no it doesn't necessarily make you racist if you know the connotations, just ignorant

oh and i was also born in 2 mins from firth park

it is predominantly Asian, Indian in fact, the word derives from the Hindu language i believe

and could you tell me when i became ignorant?

it is predominantly Asian, Indian in fact, the word derives from the Hindu language i believe

where the word derives or originates from doesn't mean it is can't be used to to represent other races or ethnicity's, in fact the hindu word caste refers to social standing and nothing to do with skin colour and mixed blood like half-caste does universally.

you asked me if you used the word half-caste if it made you racist, i said if you knew its' connotations then you'd be ignorant to use it. I didn't call you ignorant. I was responding to a hypothetical question to which i replied with a hypothetical answer.

anyway i can't be arsed to waste anymore time on this, i was only trying to point out to whoever it was in the thread that they were using a derogatory term whilst condemning racism, which i just pointed out, as i felt it was relevant to his comment.

Latin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_caste

Half-caste is a term for a category of people of mixed race or ethnicity.[1] It is derived from the term caste, which comes from the Latin castus, meaning pure, and the derivative Portuguese and Spanish casta, meaning race, and is now considered offensive.

Guest Big Guns

Some say that the PC Brigade doesn't exist and in a sense I suppose that it doesn't. I don't expect they join up in an Army with the express purpose of making the country worse. They are just 'people' with that same patronising attitude and that wonderful sense of 'Hey, we are spreading some good in the world'. When I was a child, I think the few around then were probably known affectionately as do-gooders. Within this site, the term 'PC Brigade' is just a convenient term to describe them collectively. (For further info, see the definitions section here.)

I think that their hearts are in the right place but unfortunately their brains aren't. They have such high ideals but lack the worldly knowledge and experience as to how the world works and how people think. They speak on behalf of people who really don't want them to (such as the blind). They punch way above their weight. They don't seem to realise that nearly all of their wonderful ideas actually make things worse rather than better. They stand reality on its head. Society just keeps getting worse because of them.

Some examples:

They hate racism but screaming 'racist' at everyone who asks legitimate questions about immigration just stifles debate. If debate is silenced then people understandably express their concerns in a more direct way - hence the rise of the BNP - hence situation worse......

They don't want to smack children, even though this instills a respect for authority into them at an early age. The children quickly learn that they can do what ever they want to and so go on to disrupt classrooms and stop other children learning. As they themselves don't learn much at school, they are most likely to become criminals when they become adult and raise more children in the same vein - hence situation worse.......

They want more 'ethnic minorities' in the public services so they set 'quotas' - that is they 'positively discriminate' - which means they discriminate against the people they don't want. Yet discrimination is the very thing they consider such a sin. The result of this is that they may not have the best people for the job and they upset the existing workers - hence situation worse....

I could go on but surely even a PC person would have got the idea by now!

Does that help

He he he

Some say that the PC Brigade doesn't exist and in a sense I suppose that it doesn't. I don't expect they join up in an Army with the express purpose of making the country worse. They are just 'people' with that same patronising attitude and that wonderful sense of 'Hey, we are spreading some good in the world'. When I was a child, I think the few around then were probably known affectionately as do-gooders. Within this site, the term 'PC Brigade' is just a convenient term to describe them collectively. (For further info, see the definitions section here.)

I think that their hearts are in the right place but unfortunately their brains aren't. They have such high ideals but lack the worldly knowledge and experience as to how the world works and how people think. They speak on behalf of people who really don't want them to (such as the blind). They punch way above their weight. They don't seem to realise that nearly all of their wonderful ideas actually make things worse rather than better. They stand reality on its head. Society just keeps getting worse because of them.

Some examples:

They hate racism but screaming 'racist' at everyone who asks legitimate questions about immigration just stifles debate. If debate is silenced then people understandably express their concerns in a more direct way - hence the rise of the BNP - hence situation worse......

They don't want to smack children, even though this instills a respect for authority into them at an early age. The children quickly learn that they can do what ever they want to and so go on to disrupt classrooms and stop other children learning. As they themselves don't learn much at school, they are most likely to become criminals when they become adult and raise more children in the same vein - hence situation worse.......

They want more 'ethnic minorities' in the public services so they set 'quotas' - that is they 'positively discriminate' - which means they discriminate against the people they don't want. Yet discrimination is the very thing they consider such a sin. The result of this is that they may not have the best people for the job and they upset the existing workers - hence situation worse....

I could go on but surely even a PC person would have got the idea by now!

Does that help

He he he

well he did ask :tango:

Can you explain how calling someone a black c*nt fits in with this part of your reply

Edited by markowl