Chris Powell receives racist tweets from so called Wednesday fans

Guest Big Guns

No, but calling someone a c*nt isn't sexist. It's just an offensive term. Saying offensive things in the heat of the moment that you might later regret is something that happens to everyone. Shouting racist things isn't.

And you've kind of backed up my point, it's a loss of inhibition and control - ie the part of your brain that says "hang on, probably shouldn't say that" doesn't kick in. If you weren't in any way racist, that would make no difference as the thought wouldn't occur to you. You wouldn't need your inhibitions stopping you from saying it because you'd never feel the urge to say it in the first place. 

In exactly the same way that if you were angry at a *** person and as a result you shout "you f*cking ***....." you clearly have a problem with *** people.

Wow homosexual is banned by the swear filter. What the f00k.

only the really camp ones

Because it is just inviting such abuse and it will always happen. You either accept that such moronic behaviour is a possibility or keep off it. Or the third alternative is to use it amongst people you know and trust but cover your identity. 

What?

He has as much right as anyone else to be on twitter. He should accept fair criticism for the way his team performs or his tactics but doesn't deserve abuse from anyone for the colour of his skin.

There are plenty of morons you may meet in the street. As a black man should he avoid possible abuse from such morons by crossing the street or hiding his identity?

I guess not, why should anyone 'accept' online abuse which is of a criminal nature from cowards who don't expect any come back when you wouldn't accept this face to face?

Hopefully traced and will get their big day out in court.

Always been morons. We've all heard them in the stands or the pubs.

Social Media just gives them the platform to spread their vicious views.

But also allows them to hang themselves.

Good.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Grimb,

Have you never said anything in the heat of anger that was untrue, deliberately confrontational or regretful?

I would suggest you have a great deal of self control when angry.

Deliberately confrontational yes like calling trolls/WUMs the lady part word but it's not like I don't mean it 100% ;)

You might call someone a 'c*nt' or a two hat etc in anger, sure. But if you start throwing around racist terms when you're peed off, then you're a closet racist.

Exactly.

Guest Distraught!

What?

He has as much right as anyone else to be on twitter. He should accept fair criticism for the way his team performs or his tactics but doesn't deserve abuse from anyone for the colour of his skin.

There are plenty of morons you may meet in the street. As a black man should he avoid possible abuse from such morons by crossing the street or hiding his identity?

I guess not, why should anyone 'accept' online abuse which is of a criminal nature from cowards who don't expect any come back when you wouldn't accept this face to face?

I have not in any of this thread said that anyone deserves abuse for the colour of their skin. I condemn it in the strongest terms too. Neither have I any sympathy for those that pursue such activity if they are caught.

One thing that I do have strong feelings about is the use of social media by public or well known figures. There is and has always been means by which supporters can criticize the team or performances. However, media like Twitter are made for the wasters and idiots in society. They are here and still exist and they will go on existing. Racism to me is not any more offensive than sexual innuendo that certain female celebrities have to deal with online or some of the horrible xenophobia or homophobia that can often be seen on this site. It's apparently OK to call Jones a "fat scouse c**t" or indeed any Liverpudlian a "bin dipper". 

In my opinion, all public figures and especially celebrities should consider carefully the impact that social media has and how to handle it - and that includes the less desirable elements that use it to transmit bile and filth.

Guest Big Guns

I have not in any of this thread said that anyone deserves abuse for the colour of their skin. I condemn it in the strongest terms too. Neither have I any sympathy for those that pursue such activity if they are caught.

One thing that I do have strong feelings about is the use of social media by public or well known figures. There is and has always been means by which supporters can criticize the team or performances. However, media like Twitter are made for the wasters and idiots in society. They are here and still exist and they will go on existing. Racism to me is not any more offensive than sexual innuendo that certain female celebrities have to deal with online or some of the horrible xenophobia or homophobia that can often be seen on this site. It's apparently OK to call Jones a "fat scouse c**t" or indeed any Liverpudlian a "bin dipper".

In my opinion, all public figures and especially celebrities should consider carefully the impact that social media has and how to handle it - and that includes the less desirable elements that use it to transmit bile and filth.

Your banging your head against a brick wall it's blatantly obvious wot you meant and you showed no signs of racism at all

But the PC brigade will choose to ignore wot you obviously ment

I'm afraid you've given them all the ammo they need

I'm with BG and Distraught on this one. I'm not the kind to scream racist insults and uncontrolled shrieking of that kind always leave me distressed and disturbed . However, the rabid foam dribbling from the mouths of the various "outraged of Stevenage" types leaves me much the same way. An insult is an insult. Some are worse than others, either by the hurt they cause, or more usually, by the hurt they intend to cause. But that nearly always depends on the insultor and the insultee. I always think it's cringeworthy when people take up cudgels on behalf of others, unasked.

You are right, people who use racist terms like monkey and the like are wasters and idiots. As well as having 'the delete key' as you stated, the Charlton manager also has the right to complain and bring these 'wasters and idiots' to the attention of the authorities. If Powell wants to interact with his fans and portray his club in a positive light through social media he is perfectly entitled to do so and within his rights to flag up the idiots and wasters.

Some pr*ck said it on the back of the north last night. Would have been about 50 year old.

No need for it in this day and age.

A good 45/50% of our own players are black/halfcast anyway.

Disgusting.

whats his age got to do with anything ?

Im 51 and know its disgusting and almost got battling with a racist git last season quoting Racist Ron in reference to Leroy Lita and he was a lot lot younger than 50 .

Chris Powell is big enough, and man enough to know how to handle situations like this, he certainly doesn't need a third party apology from anyone

these people aren't racists, they are thick gobby trolls, if he hadn't have been black, he'd have been abused for being gay, or bald, or short, or fat

Guest Big Guns

Chris Powell is big enough, and man enough to know how to handle situations like this, he certainly doesn't need a third party apology from anyone

these people aren't racists, they are thick gobby trolls, if he hadn't have been black, he'd have been abused for being ***, or bald, or short, or fat

Post of the thread

And yes it would be embarrassing apologising on behalf of two idiots

Some pr*ck said it on the back of the north last night. Would have been about 50 year old.

No need for it in this day and age.

A good 45/50% of our own players are black/halfcast anyway.

Disgusting.

FYI this is derogatory in itself, the politically correct term is mixed race. 

Guest Big Guns

I thought the novelty of different coloured skins wore off in the 1970's, we are all just people aren't we?

Most of us have moved on it's the PC brigade who can't move on

FYI this is derogatory in itself, the politically correct term is mixed race. 

When I was a kid it was naughty to call blacks, 'Black', we was told to call them coloured, now It's the other way round. Maybe with the morning news they should also inform us of the current PC acceptable terminology??... As long as the terms used, be it black, coloured, mixed race, or whatever are not offensive intentionally, then surely we can let them slide and deal with the genuine offensive cases?

Edited by lukestheman82

You say that as if he meant it in a derogatory manner. Why? PC gone mad.

Correcting someone on a thread based on racism... its called common sense, some mixed raced people take offense to being called half-caste and rightly so,, so what's wrong with pointing this out??

Common sense gone mad

Please forgive me for listening in school and understanding the meaning of certain words.

Edited by maldenowl