Chris Powell receives racist tweets from so called Wednesday fans

It wasn't aimed at Chris Powell. It is a general statement. People will always abuse a media like Twitter because it is so easy to do so. And public figures or well known people will get it worse. Sadly, society contains its morons. In years gone by, we had ex-directory telephone numbers to stop people receiving abuse. In the age of the internet, people have to use other forms of discretion.

In which case, rather than accepting that these idiots exist and allowing them to carry on pressing their unwanted and uneducated views by way of discusting, abussive words on the internet, surely this would make it easier to punish them and make them think twice before they re post such vulgarities?

Some pr*ck said it on the back of the north last night. Would have been about 50 year old.

No need for it in this day and age.

A good 45/50% of our own players are black/halfcast anyway.

Disgusting.

I think the words you were looking for were 'mixed race'  :rolleyes:

Edited by adamnich

If you look at a certain thread in the Non-SWFC section, you'll see that many on here would not consider that to be racist, or that he shouldn't be offended by it, so sadly I can't say it surprises me.

Well i hope your not speaking for me there Southport, this isnt something i condone as clearly not said in the heat of the moment he's actually typed the words and they deserve best thing would be a big fine & hours to work at the Caribean Club or something like that.

Guest Distraught!

In which case, rather than accepting that these idiots exist and allowing them to carry on pressing their unwanted and uneducated views by way of discusting, abussive words on the internet, surely this would make it easier to punish them and make them think twice before they re post such vulgarities?

If it can be done, I'm all for it but the main part of my argument is public or well known faces using discretion when on social media. I don't particularly like footballers using it because they are bound to attract abuse from time to time. If action is taken against those that fired the bile at Powell by means of Twitter, is it not also possible it will give rise to rival fans doing the same just for the purpose of causing trouble? It's a problem, I agree with that.

Well i hope your not speaking for me there Southport, this isnt something i condone as clearly not said in the heat of the moment he's actually typed the words and they deserve best thing would be a big fine & hours to work at the Caribean Club or something like that.

So you condone it, if it's said in the heat of the moment? I despair, i really do.

If it can be done, I'm all for it but the main part of my argument is public or well known faces using discretion when on social media. I don't particularly like footballers using it because they are bound to attract abuse from time to time. If action is taken against those that fired the bile at Powell by means of Twitter, is it not also possible it will give rise to rival fans doing the same just for the purpose of causing trouble? It's a problem, I agree with that.

I see where you're coming from. Celebrities or public figures will always get haters along with their fans. You can't please everybody.

A lot of negativity will be easy to shake off, but personal attacks should never be accetable. Telling someone that you don't like their way of managing their club is one thing. Getting personal and abusing him because of his skin colour is not acceptable.

I'm glad it was done on Twitter as this kind of thing will be much easier to pin down and punish than verbal abuse.

So you condone it, if it's said in the heat of the moment? I despair, i really do.

No but can understand anything said in the heat of the moment may not be meant as it comes out, Dont tell me you havent ever said anything in anger that you never really meant.  

Theres a difference not sayings its acceptable but think its far worse somebody has actually thought of it then posted it on a forum/website as brains had time to engage at that stage.

Every single creed and colour has a small amount of people that dislike others purely on colour , race or religion and youll never stop people thinking like it . All twitter does is gives people a platform to vent their spleen while remaining faceless and not having to do it to their face . What stuns me is that with the high profile court cases about racist abuse on twitter being brought to answer for what theyve written , people are still doing it . Powell has got this abuse for winning a match , loads of other people famous and not get disgusting abuse for no real reason whatsoever . And yeah these people should be brought to task for what theyve written to powell most definately , thing is people especially youngsters have killed themselves due to trolls on anti-social networking sites but unless its racial nothing happens . Things like twitter give vile people a platform and like has been put before , if I had the money id buy all these social ( thats a contradiction in terms ) networking things and shut them down .

Dont tell me you havent ever said anything in anger that you never really meant.

I've never, ever said anything racist in the heat of anger and know for certain I never, ever will, if you can't stop yourself saying a racist thing simply because you're angry then as far as I'm concerned you're racist full stop.

Guest Big Guns

No but can understand anything said in the heat of the moment may not be meant as it comes out, Dont tell me you havent ever said anything in anger that you never really meant.  

Theres a difference not sayings its acceptable but think its far worse somebody has actually thought of it then posted it on a forum/website as brains had time to engage at that stage.

there is a difference in pre meditated actions to heat of the moment actions but your wasting your time telling the pc brigade that

I've never, ever said anything racist in the heat of anger and know for certain I never, ever will, if you can't stop yourself saying a racist thing simply because you're angry then as far as I'm concerned you're racist full stop.

This, in a nutshell.

I seem to remember BWP getting racist chants aimed at him when he was subbed off against us in the L1 match they beat us at home as well? Or am I getting mixed up?

The world has of course moved on thankfully but there is a generation where racism was inherent and the colour of a person's skin was the first insult used. People just haven't moved on but anyone under 35 really as no excuse, and those over 35 haven't either but were probably brought up in an enviroment where it was more common and tolerated