SG Post match reaction

Guest intercity0wl

The sub we still needed after we scored was nihiu for afobe, he was the thorn in the side afobe wasn't, most of the near misses and scrambles were from him putting himself about, the maghoma substitution wasn't needed but he'd made his mind up, he just needed to step back and think for a minute. Learn from it Stu.

I agree but the players were stood on the side before we scored so if you have already told the 4th official who is coming off and who is going on can you change your mind?

Yes of course you can change your mind up until the last second, I've seen matches where the board is up and the manager/coaches tell him no we've changed our mind and the match continues.

Well that's that excuse gone then. Nuhiu for Afobe and Helan for Gardner to try and stop them breaking on us then perhaps Llera wouldn't have got isolated like he did for their second goal.

I really don't see the big problem with the subs. Maghoma was absolutely woeful, the way he floats about the pitch and fannies tackles and doesn't put a shift in infuriates me, he's not this standard at all. The game had completely passed Gardner by as well. The only thing I blame him for subs wise is not dragging Maghoma and Afobe off earlier.

Maghoma is complete bobbar - Afobe offers nothing and Martinez isn't fit to lace Kirklands boots.

Maghoma was complete bobbar last night but labeling him as complete bobbar per say is harsh. He wasn't complete bobbar on Saturday for instance when he scored a crucial goal.

Are the people so desperate to get Helan on all different people to the ones giving him a complete slating for the first half of the season under Jones?  

I think everyone was caught out tonight first and foremost by Charlton's gameplan.

Get into them early, don't let them settle, quieten the fans down etc etc. I don't think anybody expected it. On the pitch especially.

Like rabbits in headlights.

Really?  I expected it days before the match!

Charlton were underdogs (rightly or wrongly) and an afterthought in the media discussions about the upcoming Sheffield derby.  On top of that they'd just beaten QPR in the dying minutes of the game with huge celebrations at the final whistle.  They were coming in on a high, with the feeling that everyone had written them off in this game.  The way they played first half was exactly how anyone should have expected them to play.

I was really disappointed to see Gray almost distance himself from the result and place the blame on the players under-performing.  They DID under-perform, particularly in the first half, but the team selection was clearly weaker than against Huddersfield.  The tactics seemed off, there was no change of personnel at half time when we looked desperately in need of a change....but then he made a change at a point when we actually had some momentum.  And that change was to fill our previously out-gunned midfield with strikers!

Gray has done a terrific job since taking over, including making tactical decisions far advance of those DJ seemed capable of.

But he deserves as much blame as, if not more than, the players last night; and as the man in charge I'd expect him to own up to what he did that didn't work instead of passing the buck.

Guest Darkus Owlus

Agree with what he said but not once did he acknowledge his own fk up.

Making 5 changes from a decent win at Hudd?

Martinez over Kirkland?

Maguire CM?

Hoof ball straight to Wood and Morrison?

And the double subs?

Sorry Stuart, some of the blame lies with you on this one. 

Completely agree with this, I honestly believe we'd have won comfortably had he not tampered with the side.

Many may disagree but I still maintain the changes, players out of position etc disrespected Charlton. He assumed we'd batter them and played a rotated team to freshen things up.

Charlton fans or someone else many correct me but I'm sure Jackson played 90 minutes against QPR then again against us.

Maghoma was complete bobbar last night but labeling him as complete bobbar per say is harsh. He wasn't complete bobbar on Saturday for instance when he scored a crucial goal.

Are the people so desperate to get Helan on all different people to the ones giving him a complete slating for the first half of the season under Jones?

1 goal doesn't change my opinion. He's a cheat. By that I mean he doesn't even break sweat. I've seen milk turn quicker. He's very very limited and one dimensional. He looked like he couldn't give a throw last night. He must be full backs nightmare to have playing in front of you.

He has been bobbar in every game he has played. He can't beat a man, always cuts inside and never tracks back to help his full back. He is league 2 standard, maybe League 1 at a push.

He has been bobbar in every game he has played. He can't beat a man, always cuts inside and never tracks back to help his full back. He is league 2 standard, maybe League 1 at a push.

Whilst I agree he has looked lazy in too many games for anyones liking, labelling him a bobbar in EVERY game he has played is just as lazy. His goal on Saturday was crucial in killing the game off and this thread suggests he didn't have a bad game against Leeds by general opinion, there are a few more like this but admittedly not enough. 

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/207166-player-ratings/