SG Post match reaction

Guest intercity0wl

I think everyone was caught out tonight first and foremost by Charlton's gameplan.

Get into them early, don't let them settle, quieten the fans down etc etc. I don't think anybody expected it. On the pitch especially.

Like rabbits in headlights.

Not really, not once did I think Charlton would just roll over as I'm sure the players didn't either, in fact that's exactly what I expected them to be like.

No midfield - no one following second balls - stood off them.

Really odd lacklustre and disjointed performance considering some of these players will not get a better chance to play at Wembley.

We are still a fit box to box midfielder and a striker short of a good side.

No good being 8/10 one game and 4/10 the next.

The subs made sense to me.

Until I realised Adofe was stopping on - I'd have subbed him after 5 minutes.

And, I'm being serious - I bet he didn't need a shower, put it that way.

We were shocking first half but whatever he said or did tactically at half time worked as we finally came into the game and were on top when we scored.

The subs caused too much of a change of shape and players being out of position and any momentum was lost. 

Completely agree that he could have made a like for like change at any time up to that point to take Afobe off though. He is clearly short of confidence (that's putting it nicely) after fluffing that chance that cost us at 0-0 against Wigan and needs to come on as a sub in an away game of for 10 minutes if we are in a comfortable position, he shouldn't be starting at Hillsborough at the moment.

In hindsight Llera shouldn't have started 2 matches in 3 days but was probably buzzing after a good display at the weekend and thought we would be ok.

The sub we still needed after we scored was nihiu for afobe, he was the thorn in the side afobe wasn't, most of the near misses and scrambles were from him putting himself about, the maghoma substitution wasn't needed but he'd made his mind up, he just needed to step back and think for a minute. Learn from it Stu.