'Nuhiu Haters'

Guest markowl123

He was very poor last night that back pass was shocking either square or put your foot through it.

To be fair to him if you take Llera out of the team we wouldn't be slagging him off for not winning headers as it's him who constantly smashes the ball long to him every time.

A few people saying Nuhiu & palmer had a bad game but Llera was poor the sooner a CB is fit the better.

30ish games and 3 goals is not good enough

Can't blame it on service or a lack of chances any more because he's had some glorious chances in recent weeks

If you dont score goals ( and can barely move ) as a forward you have to be damn good at something else, but this bloke isn't particularly strong or good in the air for his size either, he does do some decent work with the ball at his feet in fairness but it's usually 40 yards from goal.

He tries hard no question about that, but so far just hasn't looked nearly good enough, needs to contribute a lot more.

Edited by Lee A

Why slag the player? If he isn't good enough (and he isn't) blame the manager for picking him or blame the chairman for not funding an alternative. The lad gives his best every game and getting slated every match is not helping at all.

Why slag the player? If he isn't good enough (and he isn't) blame the manager for picking him or blame the chairman for not funding an alternative. The lad gives his best every game and getting slated every match is not helping at all.

Nuhiu does work hard, but when a bloke is regularly going through on goal and having good chances to either score, or pass the ball to a better placed colleague and is consistently getting it wrong, he's going to come in for a bit of stick

Understand your point re. the chairman, we should have more options available other than young lads with 30 senior games between them, but can't really blame Gray for picking him as he's taken over a team with no options

There was one last night where he'd done the hard bit and should have squared to a better placed man and took on the shot which not much angle to aim for and put it straight at the keeper.

Clearly he is desperate for a goal. just as at Reading when he went on that run and shot on the near post.

Lack of goals in a striker starts to effect their decision making.

No matter how well a forward plays (and i thought he was far from terrible last night) they like us judge themselves on goals.

He does need one soon or his head'll go.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

strikers must score goals; it is a prerequisite.

It actually isn't. In the same way that defenders do their jobs collectively rather than individually, the same should apply to forward players. Do we measure centre backs by how many headers they win or tackles they make? As long as the system is working, what does it matter who is actually getting the goals? If you look at the statistics, you might be surprised by how many teams in the lower half of a division has a striker with an impressive strike rate (Jordan Rhodes at Blackburn is one example) whilst teams keep making a habit of getting promoted without them (a couple of years ago I think it was, two of the four division champions had no one score more than about a dozen). For his last few seasons, Dennis Bergkamp averaged about 7 goals per year, but it didn't stop Arsenal winning trophies because he was an integral part of a system that was effective and he helped Henry to finish things off. Obviously having prolific strikers helps, but it absolutely is not a pre-requisite. The current Premier League leaders don't have a striker with more than 6 goals in the league so far.

That is not necessarily a defence of Nuhiu though. I don't believe he deserves as much criticism as he gets, but he obviously is not the goal threat we need, especially when no one else in the team has been getting plenty of goals for an extended period.

There was one last night where he'd done the hard bit and should have squared to a better placed man and took on the shot which not much angle to aim for and put it straight at the keeper.

When he decided to shoot instead of squaring it, he should have put his foot through it

Hate to see strikers roll the ball so slowly that the keeper doesn't even have to dive, he just fell on it

Guest wilyfox

It actually isn't. In the same way that defenders do their jobs collectively rather than individually, the same should apply to forward players. Do we measure centre backs by how many headers they win or tackles they make? As long as the system is working, what does it matter who is actually getting the goals? If you look at the statistics, you might be surprised by how many teams in the lower half of a division has a striker with an impressive strike rate (Jordan Rhodes at Blackburn is one example) whilst teams keep making a habit of getting promoted without them (a couple of years ago I think it was, two of the four division champions had no one score more than about a dozen). For his last few seasons, Dennis Bergkamp averaged about 7 goals per year, but it didn't stop Arsenal winning trophies because he was an integral part of a system that was effective and he helped Henry to finish things off. Obviously having prolific strikers helps, but it absolutely is not a pre-requisite. The current Premier League leaders don't have a striker with more than 6 goals in the league so far.

That is not necessarily a defence of Nuhiu though. I don't believe he deserves as much criticism as he gets, but he obviously is not the goal threat we need, especially when no one else in the team has been getting plenty of goals for an extended period.

I disagree. Exceptions don't make a general rule. Defenders are judged by keeping them out, and strikers by putting them in. Gray says himself that strikers are in the team to score goals. Bergkamp was not a prolific marksman - but a genius on the ball. He laid on more chances for teammates than Nuhiu does. Wright, Henry & Anelka all benefitted greatly: who profits from Nuhiu's inclusion? He is no great provider.

I disagree. Exceptions don't make a general rule. Defenders are judged by keeping them out, and strikers by putting them in. Gray says himself that strikers are in the team to score goals. Bergkamp was not a prolific marksman - but a genius on the ball. He laid on more chances for teammates than Nuhiu does. Wright, Henry & Anelka all benefitted greatly: who profits from Nuhiu's inclusion? He is no great provider.

There are countless examples of teams being successful whilst one or more of their strikers doesn't get a lot of goals or the opposite. It is not about occasional exceptions. Look at Chelsea this season, do they need a striker to get 20 goals? 

And as I specifically stated, that was a general point and was not a defence of Nuhiu as our current circumstances are obviously somewhat different to the Bergkamp / Henry situation. I always thought Paul Williams was quite a poor finisher (he wasted so many one-on-ones) but there was no question that David Hirst would not have scored the goals he did without him, as the man himself has always said. As a unit, it was extremely effective, and that is what really matters.

One thing that amazes and appals me. We have done nothing on this topic but criticise Nuhiu's ability to HEAD a ball. This bring in two points that have long annoyed me about succesive Wednesday teams.

Yesterday, until he dying minutes when Antonio tried his long throws, the only person who was in a position to receive a throw-in was Nuhiu., and he was instantly covered by two large defenders, one in front, one behind. This meant his only alternative was to try flick-heading the ball over the defender for someone to pick up (something he did very successfully on a number of occasions with no one to take the ensuing ball) Wigan invariably had a man clear to throw the ball to. Our players NEVER take up these positions, and I sometimes feel the thrower should throw it to the opponents to make this point.

The other is why are we focusing on the high ball all the time, when we have proved time and again that we are so much better when playing FOOTball, in other words, on the ground. This has been our strength over the last run, but yesterday we came up against a side who closed us down , and had large central defenders.   

Guest nortonowl4

I don't mind him getting berated on here, its what a forum is for.  But if you were one of those sarcastically cheering him tonight when he won a header (and while he lost a lot, like he does, he still won a fair few against two towering centre halves) then you need to have a look at yourself. 

He's a decent squad player, but he's being asked to be so much more due to our shocking lack of depth up front.  His confidence is shockingly, shockingly low.  He spent the first half having the ball pinged at his head.  For the thousandth time, just because he's tall, it doesn't mean he's a target man.  Much better with the ball at his feet where he can link play (did this quite a bit towards the end of the second half actually).  I agree with those who said he would benefit from a spell out the side, maybe even a loan, but circumstances dictate we can't.  

My major gripe though was with the fans tonight - no player who tries that hard ever, ever, deserves to be booed or sarcastically cheered during the game.  If it was someone mincing around and not putting it in, then maybe.  If you want to boo a bad performance at the end, then go for it.  But during the match?  Very poor.  Vent your frustrations about his quality on here after if you must, but that was low from some of the fans today.

This This This. 

Fans reactions to Nuhui last night were disgusting. We should never EVER boo a player in the middle of a match, and then be shocked that he doesn't play to the best of his ability. It's dog poo . 

This This This.

Fans reactions to Nuhui last night were disgusting. We should never EVER boo a player in the middle of a match, and then be shocked that he doesn't play to the best of his ability. It's dog poo .

BEST FANS IN THE COUNTRY 4EVA.

Embarrassing.

One thing that amazes and appals me. We have done nothing on this topic but criticise Nuhiu's ability to HEAD a ball. 

I'm also confused by the assumption that just because a bloke is three or four inches taller than another that it somehow automatically improves his ability to head a football. 

Guest wilyfox

There are countless examples of teams being successful whilst one or more of their strikers doesn't get a lot of goals or the opposite. It is not about occasional exceptions. Look at Chelsea this season, do they need a striker to get 20 goals? 

And as I specifically stated, that was a general point and was not a defence of Nuhiu as our current circumstances are obviously somewhat different to the Bergkamp / Henry situation. I always thought Paul Williams was quite a poor finisher (he wasted so many one-on-ones) but there was no question that David Hirst would not have scored the goals he did without him, as the man himself has always said. As a unit, it was extremely effective, and that is what really matters.

The failing of Chelsea's strikers to score on a regular basis is exactly that - a failing, and not something to emulate. How can you say that scoring goals is not a prerequisite, followed by Nuhiu 'obviously is not the goal threat we need'? If he is neither a regular scorer or part of a successful collaboration up front, then he falls short of the requirements for his position.

Guest Big Guns

I'm also confused by the assumption that just because a bloke is three or four inches taller than another that it somehow automatically improves his ability to head a football. 

because the balls closer to his head whan a good cross is delivered high in the air than a dwarf