The NEW NEW Last Film You Saw Thread

Pompeyowl

Sorry To Bother You (2018). Surreal black comedy.

image.png.b5248f0846f1b7c6c5d5cf8893680bcc.png

Cash Green (Lakeith Stanfield) is a struggling Afro-American telemarketer, desperately short of money and continually facing eviction. Advised by a colleague to adopt a ‘white voice’ when calling customers, Cash subsequently becomes hugely successful and is promoted to a ‘Power Caller’ position in which he sells arms and cheap labour to world leaders, but in the process becomes distanced from his girlfriend and colleagues. However, when he is drawn into the orbit of cheerfully immoral businessman Steve Lift (Arnie Hammer) who is breeding a race of servile human / horse hybrids to use as slave labour, Cash begins to reassess his values.

I didn’t see this film when it was first released, but it got good reviews so I made time for it when it reached TV. I’d always assumed it was a satire on the compromises Afro Americans have to make to succeed in a world where many of the rules seem to be written by and for white people. And indeed it as, as well as both a dig at unacceptable business practices and a morality tale about not throwing away the really important things in life. However, what I didn’t realise until I watched it was how utterly bonkers it was. Definitely worth a watch. (8/10).

7 hours ago, Night King said:

Worth 8/10

Enjoyed this film. Based on the true story of a legal professional having to sort out compensation claims for relatives of 9/11 victims. Some really harrowing accounts as you can imagine at times, 

We watched that last weekend. Really enjoyed it too.

On 15/09/2021 at 21:00, Mr. Chow said:

Malignant - 6/10, one of the strangest films I have ever seen and the only film to ever make me feel sick from one clip within it. 

Quite looking forward to this one actually. 

Run   -   About a very sick girl who is taken care of by her mother but all is not as it seems.  Pretty generic but ramps up the tension nicely .

decent    6.5/10

Where Eagles Dare , for only about the 30th time  :biggrin:................classic.............."Broadsword calling Danny Boy"     10/10

• Like 2

Well I haven't watched it, well not in years anyway, but I recently came across this video of Demolition Man (1993) looking at it being a good action film etc. and how it eerily mimics today/probably the future. I suppose it's kinda like the Starship Troopers and Falling Down films where you understand them more when both you and the films get older. A sequel is still in the works too: https://www.looper.com/404613/demolition-man-2-release-date-cast-plot/ I doubt it will be as good though probably. 

Also I'm finally going to watch The Irishman tomorrow night so I'll probably post some thoughts on that.

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

La Haine (1995)

Think someone recommended it to me.  90s French angry young men in a time of riots, police brutality and racism.

Black and white film makes it seem older and reminded me a bit of another similar film 'Made in Britain' with Tim Roth

Really enjoyed 8/10 definitely a classic French film

• Love 1

On 25/09/2021 at 07:58, Night King said:

The Many Saints of Newark. 

7/10 Prequel to Sopranos.  

I also watched this at the weekend. I also give it 7/10.

You could watch it without having watched The Sopranos but you probably wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Loved the ending when The Sopranos theme music kicks in.

• Thanks 1

Chaos Walking - Prime

Tom Holland / Daisy Ridley / Mads Mickleson.

In this futuristic action-adventure, a young man (Tom Holland) must discover his inner power and unlock his planet's dark secrets to save a mysterious girl (Daisy Ridley) who crash-lands on his planet.

Could have been so much better - annoying voices ..

Good cast..   5/10

The Father - Prime & Cinema

Anthony Hopkins

Olivia Colman

10/10

Magnificent. Brilliantly done. Hopkins is Colman’s father, suffering dementia. Deep, layered and tragic. It’ll win Oscars galore. You’ll spend the second half of the movie questioning what you thought in the first half, and you’ll still be questioning yourself hours after it’s over.

I suspect it’s one we’ll all watch twice.

Dont watch it after an Owls defeat!!!