The NEW NEW Last Film You Saw Thread

Pompeyowl

Also watched The Tomorrow War last night.

I like the premise of it. The aliens look cool.

Such an incredibly clichéd film though. The epitome of a Hollywood end of the world summer blockbuster. Very watchable but the whole film was predictable.

5/10

• Like 1

Vanilla Sky (2001). I do like this film. I like the way it straddles genres (romantic drama meets psychological thriller before taking a massive sci-fi detour…..). I like the complexity. I like the top-notch cast. I like the soundtrack. And I particularly like Penelope Cruz…..

image.png.7e446ec6d527f3caa34f4b4fa4a88fe8.png

(People of a certain age may recognise the cultural reference in this image from the film)

For those who haven’t seen it, Tom Cruise plays David, a New York magazine publisher with a playboy lifestyle who casually sleeps with and then discards women. One evening, at a party, he meets Sofia, a dancer, and they appear to genuinely fall for each other. The next day, a jealous former girlfriend offers him a lift but deliberately crashes her car, killing herself and leaving David with debilitating injuries and facial disfigurement. After a failed attempt to rekindle his relationship with Sofia, and in constant pain, David falls into despair. The second half of the film appears to be set at some point in the near future with David, now apparently imprisoned and accused of murder, relating subsequent events to a prison psychologist (Kurt Russell). These events are shown as a series of flashbacks, however many of the flashbacks appear to be contradictory and unreliable. The reason for this becomes clear towards the end of the film, but I won’t give away any spoilers. Cameron Diaz, Timothy Spall and Tilda Swinton are among a heavyweight supporting cast.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Vanilla Sky (2001). I do like this film. I like the way it straddles genres (romantic drama meets psychological thriller before taking a massive sci-fi detour…..). I like the complexity. I like the top-notch cast. I like the soundtrack. And I particularly like Penelope Cruz…..

image.png.7e446ec6d527f3caa34f4b4fa4a88fe8.png

(People of a certain age may recognise the cultural reference in this image from the film)

For those who haven’t seen it, Tom Cruise plays David, a New York magazine publisher with a playboy lifestyle who casually sleeps with and then discards women. One evening, at a party, he meets Sofia, a dancer, and they appear to genuinely fall for each other. The next day, a jealous former girlfriend offers him a lift but deliberately crashes her car, killing herself and leaving David with debilitating injuries and facial disfigurement. After a failed attempt to rekindle his relationship with Sofia, and in constant pain, David falls into despair. The second half of the film appears to be set at some point in the near future with David, now apparently imprisoned and accused of murder, relating subsequent events to a prison psychologist (Kurt Russell). These events are shown as a series of flashbacks, however many of the flashbacks appear to be contradictory and unreliable. The reason for this becomes clear towards the end of the film, but I won’t give away any spoilers. Cameron Diaz, Timothy Spall and Tilda Swinton are among a heavyweight supporting cast.

Great film. Could never make myself watch Spanish original, though.

McFarland USA

Kevin Costner as a coach who trains some Latino kids to run cross country. Standard Disney "white man helps poor people" fare but enjoyable and Costner is pretty good in the lead.

6.5/10

Spoiler - the fat kid is more important at the end than he's made out to be at the start. 

The tomorrow war

Proper enjoyable switch your head off for a couple of hours fun

7/10

Loads of movies recently whilst on summer holiday and nowhere to travel to.

Train to Busan - 7/10

Parasite - 7/10

Fatherhood -  8/10

Spiral -  6 / 10

A Star is Born -  8/10

Silk Road -  7/10

Monster Hunter - 1/10

Nobody - 7/10

• Like 1

The Watchmen (2009)

Looks good, stylish anti-hero action film. Bit of a mess though and too long at 3 hours. I've heard the TV series is better and it feels like it should be broken up as this was a hard watch, no chance i was watching it in one sitting. Took me about three goes to get through it all.

5.5/10

2 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

The Watchmen (2009)

Looks good, stylish anti-hero action film. Bit of a mess though and too long at 3 hours. I've heard the TV series is better and it feels like it should be broken up as this was a hard watch, no chance i was watching it in one sitting. Took me about three goes to get through it all.

5.5/10

Watchmen was based on an iconic if sprawling graphic novel, and in fairness to the film it tries to balance running time with staying true to the book. I actually think it's a good film, but I read the book first so the events make sense to me.

The TV series is actually a sequel of sorts, and while I enjoyed the series it departed from some of the underlying ideas of the book and lost something in the process. But I agree - given the non-linear style of the book and the complex plotting it would probably have worked well as a series in it's own right.

Edited by Roy Of The Roasters

52 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Watchmen was based on an iconic if sprawling graphic novel, and in fairness to the film it tries to balance running time with staying true to the book. I actually think it's a good film, but I read the book first so the events make sense to me.

The TV series is actually a sequel of sorts, and while I enjoyed the series it departed from some of the underlying ideas of the book and lost something in the process. But I agree - given the non-linear style of the book and the complex plotting it would probably have worked well as a series in it's own right.

Yeah, I know there's a book and the premise behind it. The characters of Dr Manhattan and Rorschach were familiar to me already so i feel like i've seen something on it elsewhere.

I do think the film could have been really good but Snyder has this thing where he goes with longer = better (got to get that musical score in there) when he could streamline more and make it an easier watch. It didn't have the flow you need in a film to keep it consistently engaging for the whole three hours. For Snyder films I've seen recently I actually think this was harder to watch all the way through than Army of The Dead.

Anyway, the plot is sort-of-superhero people are not very likeable and a god-like man has a big blue dick. The end.

Edited by Adem Poric

On 27/07/2021 at 07:02, Orlando_Trustful said:

Loads of movies recently whilst on summer holiday and nowhere to travel to.

Train to Busan - 7/10

I gave this 9/10 really enjoyed it.

Incredible film.

• Like 1

Went to watch The Suicide Squad last night

Was a fun film, the chemistry between the cast was great especially Cena & Elba.

Enjoyed it more than I thought I would going in.

Watched all the Fear Street films on Netflix. 

Not bad tbf, better than I was expecting. They went full on with the gore too, which was surprising. 

Part 2 was the best, though clearly a bit of a Friday the 13th knock off, albeit a lot more slick. 

If you're a fan of horror/slasher films, then probably worth checking out. 

• Like 1

On 29/07/2021 at 09:53, Adem Poric said:

The Watchmen (2009)

5.5/10

Would have been decent but changing the ending from the book was so annoying and changed the entire meaning of the thing. I really liked the series which was a sequel to the book rather than the movie.