The NEW NEW Last Film You Saw Thread

The Guest 8/10

If you like Drive or any movie with a proper synthy soundtrack then I recommend this. 

Also it's pretty twisted and not what it seems. Superb little movie. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Breakdown (1997)

~When a couple drives cross-country to California, their car breaks down in a desolate region and the wife disappears. The husband's frantic search for his missing wife unveils a chain of crimes.~

How this film is 24 years old and I hadn't seen it? I dunno. Which is odd as i like Kurt Russell.

Right enjoyed it. Well, not fully, coz I'm not great on suspense. Get a bit on edge.

But It was a decent way to spend the late evening.

7/10

• Like 2

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Watched this last night. Usual excellent performance from Hanks. Enjoyed it but now’t amazing. 7/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, malek said:

The Escape Room 6/10

Not bad at all, but thought that this good idea could have been used better. 

This is one of those films I was expecting to be crap but it turned out to be pretty entertaining. Nothing outstanding but enjoyable.

You can see it being like Saw and they will end up making loads and spoiling it.

I watched Stan & Ollie last night. Coogan and Reilly both nailed their parts and it was good the film told the story of the latter part of their careers. 8/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Hunt.

I think this was discussed here a few months back. It reminds me of something else, but I can't quite put my finger on what. But basically a variant on the Hunter and Prey concept, with the twist that the hunters are fully paid up woke-liberals and the prey are a mixture of Rednecks and Q-Anon a**holes. Apparently Donald Trump and his supporters were quite offended by it, although if any of them had taken the trouble to watch they might have realised that the hunters were being satirised at least as much as the 'deplorables' they were using as sport. But I guess irony was never something they never understood.

Anyway, extremely violent, and plays with your expectations (even if some of the plot twists could be seen a mile off). And at less than 90 minutes, doesn't outstay it's welcome. 7/10

• Like 1

Scum 9/10

Never heard of this film before it got mentioned in Steve Jones autobiography Lonely Boy.

Thought it was very bleak, hope it was highly unrealistic, but I really, really liked it. Awesome.

On 23/02/2021 at 18:36, malek said:

Scum 9/10

Never heard of this film before it got mentioned in Steve Jones autobiography Lonely Boy.

Thought it was very bleak, hope it was highly unrealistic, but I really, really liked it. Awesome.

A classic! 

• Like 1

Green Book on Prime. Very good 8.5/10. Didn’t realise it had won Oscar for best movie. 

Edited by BIG D
  • Love 1
On 23/02/2021 at 18:36, malek said:

Scum 9/10

With a young Ray Winston “Who’s the daddy now!”

On 25/02/2021 at 22:19, BIG D said:

Green Book on Prime. Very good 8.5/10. Didn’t realise it had won Oscar for best movie. 

I really enjoyed this too, the music is brilliant and the chemistry between Mortensen and Ali carries it all the way.

I do fear it's going to turn into one of those Oscar winners where people so vehemently disagree with it winning the top award that it ends up being regarded as crap.

A Most Wanted Man  (2014)

Hamburg based espionage drama based on a John Le Carre novel and which appears to be loosely inspired by real life events including intelligence failures related to the Hamburg Terror Cell prior to 9/11.

The interesting twist with this film is that it focuses not so much on the intelligence services investigating would be jihadists, but various different intelligence services competing against each other.

Philip Seymour Hoffman, in the final film released before his untimely death, plays Günther Bachmann, a dishevelled but driven agent who leads a small team covertly monitoring certain individuals of interest. This team is focussed on playing the long game, trying to 'turn' suspects in order to progressively gain access to more senior and influential players in the jihadist movement. When a  young Chechen man arrives in Hamburg illegally, Bachmann's team see an opportunity to use him as bait to entrap an Al Qaeda financier, but come into conflict with other state agencies who are primarily interested in a quick win. I can't offhand remember a bad Philip Seymour Hoffman film, and he is a towering presence in this one. 8/10.

• Like 1