The NEW NEW Last Film You Saw Thread

Tenet 6/10

Paid for the rental (£5.49 Sky). Remember reading quite good things about it when it came out.. but was disappointed. It was all a bit ridiculous! I like a decent sci-fi and I like a decent action film.. Sadly, Tenet is neither. I certainly wouldn’t recommend paying to watch it. 

• Thanks 1

Legend 6/10

Alright, Was disappointed how similar it was to the 90s Krays film with the Kemp brothers. Was expecting something a bit different.

Hardy great as always, he saves it really. 

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Tyrannosaur.

Olivia Colman and Peter Mullan. 

Dark as hell, violent, moving, brilliant.

Beat me to it.

For dark, British films, Tyrannosaur is one of the very best.

Olivia Colman is astonishing.

The film's up there with Nil By Mouth in terms of acting and atmospheric brilliance.

• Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, 1867owl said:

Beat me to it.

For dark, British films, Tyrannosaur is one of the very best.

Olivia Colman is astonishing.

The film's up there with Nil By Mouth in terms of acting and atmospheric brilliance.

Nil by Mouth next up for me then. Thanks.

Mrs H can’t watch dark films. When I read about Tyrannosaur I thought she might be ok with it. Two minutes in I was glad I’d chosen to watch it alone!!

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Tyrannosaur.

I see you've lightened up since Dead Mans Shoes. :duntmatter:

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Nil by Mouth next up for me then. Thanks.

Mrs H can’t watch dark films. When I read about Tyrannosaur I thought she might be ok with it. Two minutes in I was glad I’d chosen to watch it alone!!

Nil By Mouth's a lot darker and more depressing than Tyrannosaur.

A nasty but simply brilliant film.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 2
On 13/01/2021 at 07:25, Holmowl said:

Tyrannosaur.

where/what platform did you watch it from ?

7 hours ago, Doctor Duran said:

where/what platform did you watch it from ?

Sky £2.49.

It’s also on Prime or Netflix but £3.

• Like 1

Greed (2019)

Steve Coogan stars as wealthy but controversial Richard "Greedy" McCreadie (loosely based on the real life Philip Green) in this black comedy.

Following a bruising appearance at a government inquiry into his business practices, McCreadie hires a journalist (David Mitchell, basically doing Mark out of Peep Show) to write a sympathetic biography, a plot device which allows flashbacks to McCreadie's earlier life.

At the same time, he plans a lavish 60th Birthday on Mykonos, which is where most of the film is set. However, things aren't going to plan. The Roman Amphitheatre he is constructing to hold a Gladiator themed  event is behind schedule. Elton John is holding out for £3 million  to do a gig. The celebrity lookalikes employed as stand-ins don't really look alike (and one of the celebrities impersonated is actually deceased). He still fancies his ex-wife. Oh, and a bunch of Syrian refugees are camping on the beach overlooked by the resort, spoiling McCreadie's 'perfect' view. What more could possibly go wrong? Well, plenty.

Much of the comedy derives from McCreadie's sheer toxic awfulness, and the torrent of colourful and inventive insults he showers on anyone who displeases him. Which is pretty much everyone. Coogan does a decent job of portraying a man who, for all his wealth and sense of entitlement, is never quite in control of events, but credit also to Mitchell and to Dinita Gohil (as Amanda, one of McCreadies aides) both of whose characters depict the moral dilemma of fundamentally decent people making a living working for a monster in a more subtle way.

6/10. Enjoyable, but probably wont bear repeated viewing.

• Like 2
On 17/01/2021 at 04:53, marconi said:

Started watching one last night on BBC 2

called 99 Homes, seemed good so set it recording.

'Did you finish it?

Was OK if a bit depressing on many levels. Good performances from the 2 leads

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 17/01/2021 at 22:58, unkastav said:

Just gone back to the classics shelf...

CARLITOS WAY

Bloody love it. Favours gonna kill you

**** yeah. One of the coolest guys from that era. Pacino's jet black hair doing gangster stuff. Love it. Sean Penn plays a good role in that film too. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

**** yeah. One of the coolest guys from that era. Pacino's jet black hair doing gangster stuff. Love it. Sean Penn plays a good role in that film too. 

Scarface tonight!!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Been watching the 4K Potter films with the missus, as I've never seen them from beginning to end and have never read the books - yesterday's offerings were Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. 4 and 5 /10, respectively. Not a fan, tBH, so far. The kids' acting is so beyond wooden, it's petrified and become coal. 

Followed by ID4 and copious alcohol - 8.5/10.

• Thanks 1