MMA

Pompeyowl

Absolutely brutal from Stungun. I think Hathaway was very lacklustre on Saturday. He makes me nervous fighting with his hands down for the reason shown in the video above. I think cage rust played a part for Hathaway on Saturday.

So glad Mitrione got the win. Not only because I'm a big fan of his, but because I can't stand Shawn Jordan's face.

Guest CageFightingOwl

Cheers Pompey

Will visit on a regular basis, lost touch a bit since ESPN lost the UFC.

Need to pursuade the Mrs to pay for BT Sport.

Bit about me -

I started out boxing and playing football, i was a bit big for football but soon realised i could kick pretty hard.

Did a bit of Muay Thai, then realised i was shocking on the ground, so i trained in wrestling and BJJ.

I now train at my local gym keeping my hand in and instruct MMA also.

Love the sport, look forward to discussing all things MMA in the future.

No worries CFO. Did you pay for ESPN or get it free with Virgin? If you paid for it let the mrs know that BT Sports is a couple of quid more than ESPN was but you get two BT channels AND ESPN.

I'd like to hear views, if you're willimg to share, on how much wrestling is needed in MMA. The Yanks swear by wrestling and reckon you can't get by in MMA without it. I think that you can do well with only a little wrestling. My grappling coach trains us mainly in Judo and BJJ. I think this is sufficient if used properly, maybe with picking up a few things from wrestling.

So what are your thoughts for this weekend's fights at the O2? Do you give Jimi any chance against Gus?

You can't do well in the UFC without strong basic defensive wrestling. If they keep putting you in favourable matches against people who aren't going to try to take you down you might put a little streak together but eventually you're going to get held down and smashed.

Manuwa only has a puncher's chance IMO.

EDIT: To elaborate, I think Gus will take him down, soften him up with punches them win via RNC when Manuwa gives him his back. This is a huge step up for Jimi, who's only fought three people with Wikipedia pages (and won two of them by weird injury stoppage).

Edited by Wednesday-Wonderland

I disagree about the wrestling. The Yanks think you can't get by without it, but I think you can do with the basics done well. They never say that you can't get by without a stand up game, yet all fights start on their feet... Why is that?!

I think Judo is equally, if not more effective because it is so under utilised for takedowns as wrestling is. Once on the ground I feel BJJ takes over and you can go far with a strong BJJ game. I really don't feel that wrestling is THE most important aspect of MMA and I think you can get away without it.

I agree about Maunwa though. I think he really has to step up his game for this fight. I think a fight between his last opponent and Gus would have set him up well for this fight, but I think this might be a step too far for him.

No way you can get away without a decent level of wrestling. Not saying it has to be high collegiate level, but at least strong takedown defence is needed if you're wanting to be in the upper echelons. Look through the history of UFC champions and just about all of them (certainly in the last decade or so) have had either strong offensive or defensive wrestling. BJ Penn isn't known as a wrestler, but he had arguably the best takedown defence on the planet at his peak. Chuck was known for knocking fools out, but he did that because his wrestling ability allowed him to dictate where the fight took place.

No way you can get away without a decent level of wrestling. Not saying it has to be high collegiate level, but at least strong takedown defence is needed if you're wanting to be in the upper echelons. Look through the history of UFC champions and just about all of them (certainly in the last decade or so) have had either strong offensive or defensive wrestling. BJ Penn isn't known as a wrestler, but he had arguably the best takedown defence on the planet at his peak. Chuck was known for knocking fools out, but he did that because his wrestling ability allowed him to dictate where the fight took place.

You have literally just said what I was saying. You don't need a high level of wrestling. Just the basics, which most MMA gyms will cover regardless of their coaches' backgrounds.

The Channel 5 show was AWFUL. It wasn't live, they showed the fights in a weird order and they had some guy who knew nothing about the sport talking to Forrest Griffin (notoriously the most awkward man in the sport) between fights. Dreadful.

Having done abit of boxing and love the sport I've never really watched mma before. However, caught abit on chanel 5 tonight and I frigging love gustafsson, beast

It was a great finishing sequence wasn't it? Devastating knee and then the hockey punches to finish it off.

Be interesting to see whether they do Gus vs Cormier like Jones has suggested. Cormier vs Jones is probably my most anticipated fight at the moment.

It's already confirmed that Gus will now face the winner of Gover vs Bones.

I liked the coverage on BT Sports last night. Everyone was English, which I really liked. I think Dan Hardy did a fantastic job commentating. The one thing I didn't like though was that they only showed the one prelim fight.

Pickett vs Seery should have got fight of the night in my oppinion. Seery has a good future ahead of him in the UFC. Although Picket already has a win over Mighty Mouse I'm not sure whether he now has what it takes to take the title.

I'm wondering whether or not the eye poke had any baring on the outcome of the Manuwa / Gus fight. The ending came so shortly after the poke and I don't think Jimi had enough time to recover. Fantastic finish from Gus though and although I'm gutted for Jimi, I'd love to see Gus go and take the title that he deserves.

Guest Salopian Owl

Yeah I thought there was more than a similarity to Rory MacDonald about him. Bit more charisma from Gunnar though.

What an absolute top weekend in London! Event was great and I didn't realise how good my own seats actually where! Sat in the same block as Lukas Podolski, Nicklas Bendtner, Serge Gnarby and One Direction.

If anyone hasn't been to an event before, it's a fantastic night!