MMA

Pompeyowl

As the original MMA thread has gone missing, here is the new one.

Apparently Shogun vs Henderson 2 is set. I'll look forward to this. I still think the last one should have been a draw. Hopefully Shogun will come out harder and faster than last time out and he may get the win.

He's been making 205 fairly comfortably, hasn't he?

Yeah, he hasn't missed weight since moving to LHW.

Thiago Silva is out of the UFC for life, been arrested for threatening to kill his wife, her lover, and everyone in their BJJ school. When the cops tried to get him to surrender he gave them the finger and walked off then ended up getting tasered. If this had been any other fighter I'd have been surprised.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/2/7/5389962/thiago-silva-allegedly-held-gun-in-wifes-mouth-threatened-to-shoot-up

Submission and Knockout of the night bonuses have been scrapped in the UFC to make way for Performance of the night bonuses. This is so that, say if there were no submissions on a fight card then the two best knockouts of the night would get the bonuses.

Seems fair to me, but a shame to drop the label. Seems so much more impressive getting Knockout or Submission of the night rather than Performance.

Submission and Knockout of the night bonuses have been scrapped in the UFC to make way for Performance of the night bonuses. This is so that, say if there were no submissions on a fight card then the two best knockouts of the night would get the bonuses.

Seems fair to me, but a shame to drop the label. Seems so much more impressive getting Knockout or Submission of the night rather than Performance.

They've done it because of the brain injury study that's currently ongoing, they don't want to be seen to be rewarding brutal knockouts.

Guest Salopian Owl

Quote from Ariel Helwani.

Update: Following the report, Overeem responded to MMAFighting.com about why he turned down the opportunity at this time.

"I'm hurt," he said. "Rib problem. So first need an ETA on recovery time. [it] would be unwise to accept any fight before knowing exactly what's up. wouldn't want to pull out of any fight [due to] being unfit, especially an anticipated fight as this one."

Hmmm. Not sure about this. Think he knows if he loses to JDS it's goodbye for him, it's not like he's in Dana's good graces after coasting against Frank Mir then calling out Brock of all people.

I hadn't seen it no, cheers for that.

I'd rather he didn't risk it. I mean, he's not good enough to get anywhere near a title shot again (he didn't even deserve the first one really) so what's the point? Yeah he has exciting fights but is that worth the damage to his body in the long term, or even him potentially dropping dead in the cage because of this heart problem?