Wrestling Thread

aeroswfc

Fair enough.

I think pro wrestling is one of those things you either like or you don't - there really isn't a middle ground.

For what it's worth I barely watch it nowadays and I don't think even Wrestlemania 30 will get my attention this year.

Despite that I could put on Owen Hart v Bret Hart and happily watch it from start to finish and appreciate the spectacle for what it is worth.

Fair enough.

I think pro wrestling is one of those things you either like or you don't - there really isn't a middle ground.

For what it's worth I barely watch it nowadays and I don't think even Wrestlemania 30 will get my attention this year.

Despite that I could put on Owen Hart v Bret Hart and happily watch it from start to finish and appreciate the spectacle for what it is worth.

Is that because of nostalgia? When I was young WWF was on Sky, which we couldn't afford. Very occassionally I'd go to a friend's and watch it if they were. I was interested then with the likes of Brett The Hitman Hart and the Ultimate Warrior etc. That may interest me slightly because of memories, but I just don't see the appeal of watching muscle bound men throw each other around and pretend to be injured... Only to make a miraculous recovery and win. 

Yeah...but that's kind of the point.

Everyone knows its fake, everyone knows its as a concept a bit daft (well apart from possibly Bret Hart), but that still doesn't stop it being very entertaining to those who enjoy it.

I love films like The Avengers, Dark Knight etc...but ultimately they are just works of fiction, fake if you like, and a bit stupid when you really think about them (a guy in a bat suit tries to beat up a guy who looks like a clown), yet that doesn't stop me enjoying it.

Part of me enjoys the older matches due to nostalgia, but I can still appreciate a good wrestling match from today's lot (Cena v Brock is one of my favourite matches of all time).

Edited by SiJ

Is that because of nostalgia? When I was young WWF was on Sky, which we couldn't afford. Very occassionally I'd go to a friend's and watch it if they were. I was interested then with the likes of Brett The Hitman Hart and the Ultimate Warrior etc. That may interest me slightly because of memories, but I just don't see the appeal of watching muscle bound men throw each other around and pretend to be injured... Only to make a miraculous recovery and win. 

It's a soup opera involving wrestling moves. The stories and the characters are the main draw - then you just hope they can ACT a good wrestling match at the end of it all.

It's called World Wrestling Entertainment. They label it as Sports Entertainment. They're not trying to con anybody. To be really good at it, you need to be physically strong, athletic but yet charismatic as well. It's unique and for me, it's deeply enjoyable when it's done right!

Some people like Doctor Who and I think it's attrocious. Some people like WWE and others find it attrocious.

Edited by townend_owl

Like many forms of entertainment it is fundamentally about drawing the audience in and having them dispel with the fact that what they are watching is ultimately "fake".

The major problem that wrestling suffers with nowadays (by nowadays I mean for the last 14 or so years), is that the main player in town has no competition and can ultimately do whatever they please, knowing full well that they monopolise pretty own the entire market and accordingly make more money than they ever have done.

I absolutely understand why someone might not like professional wrestling.

But how many people would scoff at wrestling and then own up to watching, say, The Only Way Is Essex? Or any number of other "reality" shows which are either intentionally staged or disguised as such? As far as I can tell the only difference between TOWIE and the WWE is that one of them requires actual talent and people do get hurt doing it, compared to just WISHING people would get hurt in the other.

Professional wrestling is fake, staged, rigged, scripted and every other negative term you think it is. Definitely, and like I say 99.9% of people who watch it KNOW that. But I think you can quite easily become overly dismissive of it too. To do what those guys do, to perform those moves, on the schedule they do.. there's bags of talent there. They're legitimate athletes, and they're performing something which takes legitimate talent, and risking very real and legitimate injury in the process.

The bit you saw with signing the Wrestlemania match between Undertaker and Lesnar is part of the panto aspect of it. The over the top crazy lines and "spots" are what keep a lot of folks happy, but out of context can quite easily look camp and stupid. In reality, The Undertaker is an absolutely colossal athlete and Brock Lesnar is a freak of nature. They're both talented as f*ck at what they do - in Brock's case at a proper competetive fighting level too - and hopefully will put on a show at Wrestlemania. It might not be a show you personally want to watch but let's go not silly here denying talent when it's there.

Also, as someone who dedicates much of their life to video games I'm never comfortable when folks use "should you have grown out of that by now?" as a justification for anything..

Yeah...but that's kind of the point.

Everyone knows its fake, everyone knows its as a concept a bit daft (well apart from possibly Bret Hart), but that still doesn't stop it being very entertaining to those who enjoy it.

I love films like The Avengers, Dark Knight etc...but ultimately they are just works of fiction, fake if you like, and a bit stupid when you really think about them (a guy in a bat suit tries to beat up a guy who looks like a clown), yet that doesn't stop me enjoying it.

Part of me enjoys the older matches due to nostalgia, but I can still appreciate a good wrestling match from today's lot (Cena v Brock is one of my favourite matches of all time).

Fair point. I see what you're saying, but with films like that you get all the effects that make it look like they are actually performing what they are acting out. You go to the flix to see a film and get what you pay for.

I know you would argue the same with WWE, but, to me, when you go to what looks like a sporting event it seems daft to end up watching a theatrical event where someone pretends to punch someone by stamping on the floor and the recipient feigns injury from it. 

I suppose it's each to their own, and I don't know why I'm conversing this with you as you're free to enjoy what ever pleases you. I suppose it comes from my hatred of theatrics.

It's a soup opera involving wrestling moves. The stories and the characters are the main draw - then you just hope they can ACT a good wrestling match at the end of it all.

It's called World Wrestling Entertainment. They label it as Sports Entertainment. They're not trying to con anybody. To be really good at it, you need to be physically strong, athletic but yet charismatic as well. It's unique and for me, it's deeply enjoyable when it's done right!

Some people like Doctor Who and I think it's attrocious. Some people like WWE and others find it attrocious.

Again, very fair point. I don't like Doctor Pooh either.

But what is a soup opera?

I absolutely understand why someone might not like professional wrestling.

But how many people would scoff at wrestling and then own up to watching, say, The Only Way Is Essex? Or any number of other "reality" shows which are either intentionally staged or disguised as such? As far as I can tell the only difference between TOWIE and the WWE is that one of them requires actual talent and people do get hurt doing it, compared to just WISHING people would get hurt in the other.

Professional wrestling is fake, staged, rigged, scripted and every other negative term you think it is. Definitely, and like I say 99.9% of people who watch it KNOW that. But I think you can quite easily become overly dismissive of it too. To do what those guys do, to perform those moves, on the schedule they do.. there's bags of talent there. They're legitimate athletes, and they're performing something which takes legitimate talent, and risking very real and legitimate injury in the process.

The bit you saw with signing the Wrestlemania match between Undertaker and Lesnar is part of the panto aspect of it. The over the top crazy lines and "spots" are what keep a lot of folks happy, but out of context can quite easily look camp and stupid. In reality, The Undertaker is an absolutely colossal athlete and Brock Lesnar is a freak of nature. They're both talented as f*ck at what they do - in Brock's case at a proper competetive fighting level too - and hopefully will put on a show at Wrestlemania. It might not be a show you personally want to watch but let's go not silly here denying talent when it's there.

Also, as someone who dedicates much of their life to video games I'm never comfortable when folks use "should you have grown out of that by now?" as a justification for anything..

I absolutely agree with everything you've said here.

The video games thing? That's a bloke thing in my oppinion. Most blokes you speak to will play FIFA at the least. I play mostly sports games because I can't stand playing games where I get stuck on a certain level.

I never once said that wrestlers aren't talented ortop athletes. In fact I agreed with Sij earlier about the same thing. As far as I'm concerned, they are some of the most athletic on the face of the planet.

I couldn't agree more about TOWIE etc. That sort of thing absolutely drives me barmy. I don't see why anyone would want to watch something like that. What exactly do they do?! Staged conversations about this bloke saying that bird shouldn't be with that bloke, and that bird saying she went shopping with that bloke and they kissed outside of TGI Friday etc. roger me it's just plain rididculous. Fakeness of the highest order. I hate it!

Again, very fair point. I don't like Doctor Pooh either.

But what is a soup opera?

Scripted, over the top nonesense that is a lot of the time predictable.

I also like playing the same video games I used to play as a kid (Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Goldeneye), and watching the same films and TV shows too. It's just entertainment. If you see it for what it is, and enjoy certain aspects of it - does it really matter?

Edited by townend_owl

In other news, surprised nobody has mentioned the WWE Network yet?

Monthly fee on demand service ($9.99 a month, 6 month minimum term). Currently only available in the US but as with all of these things there are ways of getting around that in the UK.

It's has just about every PPV event from the history of the WWF, WCW and ECW, and I think they're adding old Raw and Smackdown episodes gradually too. In addition to numerous other show formats and the current live broadcasts. You get every future PPV included too.

Thinking of signing up when it launches here. Even though I have mixed opinions about the current product and frequently dip in and out of it, I'm always up for watching those older shows. I'd probably watch the whole Attitude era back to front if I could!

In other news, surprised nobody has mentioned the WWE Network yet?

Monthly fee on demand service ($9.99 a month, 6 month minimum term). Currently only available in the US but as with all of these things there are ways of getting around that in the UK.

It's has just about every PPV event from the history of the WWF, WCW and ECW, and I think they're adding old Raw and Smackdown episodes gradually too. In addition to numerous other show formats and the current live broadcasts. You get every future PPV included too.

Thinking of signing up when it launches here. Even though I have mixed opinions about the current product and frequently dip in and out of it, I'm always up for watching those older shows. I'd probably watch the whole Attitude era back to front if I could!

yeah I'm also considering getting this when it's available in the UK. I watch most PPV's anyway, and would be interested to see a lot of the other stuff they'll be adding Maybe in time they'll add Raw and Smackdown too?

Scripted, over the top nonesense that is a lot of the time predictable.

I also like playing the same video games I used to play as a kid (Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Goldeneye), and watching the same films and TV shows too. It's just entertainment. If you see it for what it is, and enjoy certain aspects of it - does it really matter?

I was being sarcastic. Surely you meant to say SOAP opera?

As I said before, I'm all for nostalgia. I've just started playing Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat on the sexbox for the same reason. But there's a difference between watching what you used to watch when you were a kid (still watch Masters of the Universe) and watching a similar kids programme now (I wouldn't waste my time with the new Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles).

I was being sarcastic. Surely you meant to say SOAP opera?

As I said before, I'm all for nostalgia. I've just started playing Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat on the sexbox for the same reason. But there's a difference between watching what you used to watch when you were a kid (still watch Masters of the Universe) and watching a similar kids programme now (I wouldn't waste my time with the new Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles).

Oops! Sorry; Thought you were asking what my definition was in comparison to wrestling! Didn't even notice my typo. My bad.

Yeah I see what you're saying, but 'Wrestling' is a whole thing within its self. A genre of entertainment I suppose. You might not watch the new TMNT, but you might, for example, watch a sequel to Finding Nemo, Toy Story or the new Lego Movie?

I don't like wrestling anywhere near as much as I used to - I like way less wrestlers than I used to. Whether that's the product being sub-standard, or that I see it as a different thing now who knows - but I still enjoy it. I like seeing new wrestlers come through with a bit of something about them, spicing things up a bit. The storylines can be funny. The kayfabe nature to it is nice to get lost in for a while I think.

Edited by townend_owl

Oops! Sorry; Thought you were asking what my definition was in comparison to wrestling! Didn't even notice my typo. My bad.

Yeah I see what you're saying, but 'Wrestling' is a whole thing within its self. A genre of entertainment I suppose. You might not watch the new TMNT, but you might, for example, watch a sequel to Finding Nemo, Toy Story or the new Lego Movie?

I don't like wrestling anywhere near as much as I used to - I like way less wrestlers than I used to. Whether that's the product being sub-standard, or that I see it as a different thing now who knows - but I still enjoy it. I like seeing new wrestlers come through with a bit of something about them, spicing things up a bit. The storylines can be funny. The kayfabe nature to it is nice to get lost in for a while I think.

I watched the sequel to The Little Mermaid with my wife a few months back and it was attrocious. Maybe it was as bad as the original, but my oppinion is masked by memories of nostalgia.

The only reason why I've watched any of the new Disney / Pixar films is because I did so with my god children. Maybe I'll watch the sequels with kids of my own, but they'll never be the same as what I watched when I was a kid.

Maybe I'll end up watching wrestling in a few years with my own kids and apreciate it then, who knows, but for now there is nothing there unlike reminiscing over the matches of the 90s (I remember my heart sinking when I read in a magazine that Paul Bearer had thrown ashes in Hitman's eyes and Yokozuna beat him to the title at Summerslam ina round 95!).

I just don't see why something you liked as a kid, is then seen as sad if you like it when you're an adult too? I knew it was completely fake as a kid too - I'm under no less illusions now than I was then either?

Because I was very much in two minds about it when I was young.