Wrestling Thread

aeroswfc

On 25/09/2021 at 19:03, SwellOwl said:

Omega v Danielson was a cracker! The whole show was a good instalment. 

It was really good.

I agreed with the ending but thought they could have executed it better.

Have Omega in the Lebell lock and have the time expire.

Perhaps that was the intention and they got their timings off? 

I think they alluded to it by Excalibur saying Danielson would have won if they had one more minute and him nearly getting the submission on straight after the bell. They needed the announcements for time expiring to be louder, I don't think anyone could hear them over the crowd.

17 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It was really good.

I agreed with the ending but thought they could have executed it better.

Have Omega in the Lebell lock and have the time expire.

Perhaps that was the intention and they got their timings off? 

Yeah seemed to be confusion at the end but I think most people were too engrossed in the match.

12 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

Yeah seemed to be confusion at the end but I think most people were too engrossed in the match.

It was a really good match. 

It was good to see Omega wrestle in a slightly more controlled manner. The pacing of this was really good. I quite like Omega despite certain misgivings and I think Bryan is a great opponent for him. 

I'd give it a four and a half/three quarters out of 5 Dave Meltzers. 

Though I suspect Dave Meltzer gave it 6 stars just for Kenny coming down the aisle. 

• Like 1

Also, loving ZSJ in the G1. He has been top tier for a few years now but they are really pushing him in the G1 this year. Not that fussed about the G1 this year but Okada, Shingo, ZSJ and Ishii have had cant miss matches.

ZSJ calls everyone dickheads in his post match scrum then responds to Danielson's comments from a few days ago by calling him out and calling him a dickhead as well. Tremendous stuff.

16 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

Also, loving ZSJ in the G1. He has been top tier for a few years now but they are really pushing him in the G1 this year. Not that fussed about the G1 this year but Okada, Shingo, ZSJ and Ishii have had cant miss matches.

ZSJ calls everyone dickheads in his post match scrum then responds to Danielson's comments from a few days ago by calling him out and calling him a dickhead as well. Tremendous stuff.

This, absolutely love watching ZSJ in G1. They are super pushing him and let him beat some of the best in the company (just watch him lose against Great O Khan). 

There is no one else who gets oponent in subimition and makes you think 'this is it, there is no escape out of it'. 

He is one of the best in the world and certainly the best in what he does. 

On 07/10/2021 at 12:56, Adem Poric said:

That pop for the "joker" in the ladder match was unbelievable. Huge reaction.

The deadeye from the ladder through the table might be one of the sickest bumps I've ever seen.

That was a brilliant move, great match where all wrestlers put in a performance. AEW isn’t disappointing right now. 

Came across these videos featuring Beetlejuice :lol

Booker T in the second video was another one of my favourites as well. 

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

I'm sorry, but CM just happy to be here Punk is boring me already.

I know he wrestled on Rampage this week, but there's no edge to any of it atm. 

Sure it will pick up at some point, but so very meh.

And yes, I know he's over like rover so can get away with it.

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

I'm sorry, but CM just happy to be here Punk is boring me already.

I know he wrestled on Rampage this week, but there's no edge to any of it atm. 

Sure it will pick up at some point, but so very meh.

And yes, I know he's over like rover so can get away with it.

Can't agree with that, not because Punk is doing great, but because he wrestled Daniel Garcia who is a "must see talent" capable of putting in great match against just about anyone (this week alone he wrestled CM Punk, Alex Shelley and Minoru Suzuki) and is the most talented wrestler in the world right now. (only guy who was near his level proved to be a scumbag who rightfully got door of wrestling industry slammed into his face). 

28 minutes ago, malek said:

Can't agree with that, not because Punk is doing great, but because he wrestled Daniel Garcia who is a "must see talent" capable of putting in great match against just about anyone (this week alone he wrestled CM Punk, Alex Shelley and Minoru Suzuki) and is the most talented wrestler in the world right now. (only guy who was near his level proved to be a scumbag who rightfully got door of wrestling industry slammed into his face). 

That still doesn't take away from my point that this iteration of Punk is dull.

In fact, it makes no sense:

I'm meant to find this current version of Punk interesting because the guy he wrestled on Rampage is quite talented.

The kid could be the next Steamboat, but it doesn't mean I have to find CM just happy to be here Punk interesting. 

Sure most will disagree and that's fine, but I'm waiting for Punk to be involved in an angle or moment that actually means something.

Great work if you can get it though tbf. Paid millions to cut a promo, do some comms and wrestle taped matches.

On the other hand, I'm loving Bryan's efforts right now.

• Like 1

Lets be realistic here.

Punk is playing role that he is given and that is to elevate young talent in the company. That is what he is doing and he is doing it very well for now.

Still, playing this role there is not much place for great character work Punk got famous for and big storylines or feuds he could really sink his teeth into and do what he does best.

However, I can agree that he is not doing too much for fortune he probably gets paid, but lets not forget that he spent 7 years out of wrestling and AEW probably don't want to push him too hard just yet.

It is far too early to judge his contribution.

1 minute ago, malek said:

Lets be realistic here.

Punk is playing role that he is given and that is to elevate young talent in the company. That is what he is doing and he is doing it very well for now.

Still, playing this role there is not much place for great character work Punk got famous for and big storylines or feuds he could really sink his teeth into and do what he does best.

However, I can agree that he is not doing too much for fortune he probably gets paid, but lets not forget that he spent 7 years out of wrestling and AEW probably don't want to push him too hard just yet.

It is far too early to judge his contribution.

And yes, I tried to write how Punk's job right now is to elevate young talent, but somewhere along the way made turn into Daniel Garcia appreciation post 😊

I think they are booking Punk and Bryan well. the difference between the two is huge because Bryan was out of action for 6 months whereas Punk has been out for7 years. Bryan was in the Mania main event so it's logical he can fit in at the top of the card straight away. It wouldn't be logical for Punk to go in at that level.

Also, I dont think anyone wants Punk to be a face long term as all his best work has been as a heel but they are not going to get fans to boo him yet as he is the biggest star in the company. He said that he wouldn't come back to wrestling without a good storyline to sink his teeth into so I think that the plan is there for him to shed the current "just happy to be back" gimmick.

His match on Rampage was pretty solid though. Garcia is a star.