Wrestling Thread

aeroswfc

1 hour ago, Adem Poric said:

I think they've just decided they need to get something out of Big Show and decided they dont mind feeding QT to him as no one cares about QT.

It was an odd show.

Tbf, I'm not sure anyone really cares all that much about Show these days. 

Yes, he is a big star (in every sense of the world), but I don't think anyone is turning to see what Paul Wight is up to. 

Plus, since he got to AEW he's done a bit of commentary and a few interviews. Hardly spotlighted. 

Edited by SiJ

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, I'm not sure anyone really cares all that much about Show these days. 

Yes, he is a big star (in every sense of the world), but I don't think anyone is turning to see what Paul Wight is up to. 

Plus, since he got to AEW he's done a bit of commentary and a few interviews. Hardly spotlighted. 

That's what I mean. They have done nothing with him but are probably paying him a fortune to do commentary on Dark. Try to get something out of him on a PPV where they might get extra buys from lapsed fans, stick on the big guy from the Attitude Era. 

3 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

That's what I mean. They have done nothing with him but are probably paying him a fortune to do commentary on Dark. Try to get something out of him on a PPV where they might get extra buys from lapsed fans, stick on the big guy from the Attitude Era. 

Pretty much.

Thing is (and I like Show) he's more likely to get the eyes rolling from a lapsed fan taking a look at AEW.

They've got an insane roster now and with a level of depth/talent where they don't need to be dragging Show out of retirement for a nothing match.

Be interested to know how many talents they have under contract now and how much some of these people are getting paid to appear on Dark and Elevation.

There is a little bit of a WCW whiff going on here but we will see. 

I also see that we are going to have to endure another Chris Jericho MJF match for the feud that will never die.

I have to question how much this about Jericho trying to make MJF tbh. I mean, MJF was over massively anyway. Feels more like Jericho has latched onto a young talent whose got some traction. I'm all for long term storytelling, but I've thought this whole feud has largely sucked. The booking has been really backwards too.

Edited by SiJ

5 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

MJF's promo on Dynamite this week was one of the all time greats. He must be the best on the mix in the business right now.

He's only 24, right? 

I can't think of too many that good at that age.

I'd be very disappointed if he's not their heavyweight champion in the next couple of years and the top heel.

I also like the fact his in-ring style is more of a throwback. Nice contrast to most today.

2 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

Dynamite might be worth a watch this week...

Indeed.

If there was one show this year that shouldn't be missed by wrestling fans than it was this one. Amazing stuff, throughout.

17 minutes ago, malek said:

Indeed.

If there was one show this year that shouldn't be missed by wrestling fans than it was this one. Amazing stuff, throughout.

I haven't watched the whole show yet. Apparently it was an all time classic from start to finish but i had time to watch the big debuts and Angles and a couple of the matches. I've watched Bucks v Lucha bros, Punk v Darby and Britt v Statlander.

That tag team cage match was from another planet.

Bryan is an amazing acquisition.

Cole is great too tbf, but I think Bryan is just a bit special tbh.

Still back him on his day to be the best wrestler in any company. Think he's a perfect mix of the old and new styles.

In my opinion this was most important wrestling event in the last 10 years. 

I'm not very happy with quality of the matches considering quality of a usual AEW product with tag team titles match predictably been the best, although I wouldn't rate even that one over 4 starts. 

Poiint is that some very well told storylines came to their well thought out ends and that some of biggest wrestling starts debuted today, one in the ring, few more in promotion. Perhaps this night will get remembered as one when AEW surpassed WWE. 

I must be the only one, but highlight of that event for me was when I heard Kaze Ni Nare. Cudos to audiance that signed along. 

BTW. How great was MJF's enterance where he teezed Jericho's old titantron? Top stuff. 

Enjoyed the opener between Kingston and Miro. 

Tag match was entertaining, but I can see why Buck matches aren't for everyone and I'm somewhat in that camp. There's enough cool stuff to keep me interested and you can't fault the athleticism, but they do overdo it and some of the sequences look so contrived. Still - an entertaining match and the right result in the end. 

Skipped a few of the other matches which I will return to, but caught Punk and Darby. 

Thought this was a very good first match for Punk. Built up nicely and it was good to see some sound psychology and someone who knows when to slow down and speed up. His new ring pants/trousers look f*cking dreadful though. 

10 hours ago, malek said:

BTW. How great was MJF's enterance where he teezed Jericho's old titantron? Top stuff. 

I laughed hard at that. Then cringed hard with the terrible Fozzy guitarist riffing over the fan trying to sing along to Judas. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SiJ said:

Tag match was entertaining, but I can see why Buck matches aren't for everyone and I'm somewhat in that camp. There's enough cool stuff to keep me interested and you can't fault the athleticism, but they do overdo it and some of the sequences look so contrived. Still - an entertaining match and the right result in the end.

The Bucks aren't for everyone, that is completely true, but they have been incredible douchebag heels for the last few months and their in ring story telling is always right up there. There is always a reason behind what they are doing, sometimes it's not easy to follow as it can play out on BTE, but they are always able to take the match in the way the crowd wants it to go. 

Yeah they do loads of spots and so do the Lucha Bros but i'll never not enjoy a match featuring Rey Fenix and Nick Jackson, they are absolutely unbelievable.