Wrestling Thread

aeroswfc

More cuts by the Fed. Strowman might be the most unexpected in some time.

Pleased that we might see Tommy End in a company that will let him wrestle like he used to be able to in NXT and the indies. 

Something must have happened with him. He's been in the main event the last month and he beat Shane at Mania. Rumours are he had a whopper of a contract but it still seems odd. If it is money what is going on? They made more money last year than ever before. Is Vince prepping to sell?

The Black one also seems strange given he's only just come back and started a program with Big E. 

This is the third or fourth wave of cuts recently after the ones including Samoa Joe and lots of backstage workers let go too. Definitely something happening behind the scenes.

Potential match of the year on Takeover.

Fatal four way between Cole, Gargano, Dunne and O'Reilly (also featuring Karrion Kross) was tremendous.

CM Punk, Bryan Danielson and probably Adam Cole are set to join Black and Andrade in AEW. Plus all the other great wrestlers they have. 

On Raw Karrion Kross, the NXT champion, is losing regularly. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

CM Punk, Bryan Danielson and probably Adam Cole are set to join Black and Andrade in AEW. Plus all the other great wrestlers they have. 

On Raw Karrion Kross, the NXT champion, is losing regularly. 

Looks like for a period of time AEW will leave WWE behind. Not a bad thing for wrestling in general. 

26 minutes ago, malek said:

Looks like for a period of time AEW will leave WWE behind. Not a bad thing for wrestling in general. 

I've always liked NXT, they were actually in a run of really good shows, but the Kross main roster stuff has completely derailed them. AEW have been going from strength to strength and Dynamite is the only must watch wrestling around right now (NJPW is terrible!) so the Fed will soon have to start looking over their shoulders, especially if the key demo numbers keep going in opposite directions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

I've always liked NXT, they were actually in a run of really good shows, but the Kross main roster stuff has completely derailed them. AEW have been going from strength to strength and Dynamite is the only must watch wrestling around right now (NJPW is terrible!) so the Fed will soon have to start looking over their shoulders, especially if the key demo numbers keep going in opposite directions.

All true, it seems that Vince wants to prove to HHH how little his opinion means and that he is a still the top guy, hurting both brands in the proces. 

Not of any importance to most posters in this thread, but I’m buzzing that PWG is back. 

• Like 1

Not entirely on board with the AEW love in tbh. I get why people prefer it to WWE, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement.

I watch Dynamite most weeks and, thought there is some good stuff, there's some utter rubbish too.

Still screams a bit of a mark placating a bunch of ego maniacs, that the inmates are too often running the asylum.

The death match between Gage and Jericho was utter garbage and uncomfortable viewing. Even more absurd given Archer had beaten Moxley in a similar match the week before.

On one positive, Cody is clearing off for a bit. What a complete goon that bloke is.

Edited by SiJ

Flicking through TV last night and came across Jericho vs some lucha libre looking guy on that AEW, decent match I guess 

I hadn’t watched wrestling in about 10 years. The only thing that would make me watch it again is if they brought the attitude back. It’s like watching a Disney programme these days, so watered down, all the bright lights flickering around the stadium, awful acting - you see right through every feud, no character is believable or even plausible. 

Everything seems so dramatic, every entrance etc. I used to love it when a guy would just sprint to the ring ready for action without the nauseating posing beforehand 

Do hate the fact that no one can do a run-in these days without their music playing. 

Yes, it was great when Austin came down that time to help Foley win the title, but it is the most stupid thing. 

I'm not in the "AEW is perfect" camp but it's the best product by a mile at the moment and the only one that tries to get people over! The one thing that needs to be done to make sure you keep your product strong is to make stars and AEW has done that. 

Moxley is a huge star now, Darby Allin consistently has the highest rated segments on the show. MJF, Jungle Boy, Orange Cassidy, Miro, Britt Baker, Black, Fenix, Penta and plenty of others have all become stars.

The storyline they have had for over a year with Hangman has been about as perfect as you can get. They've turned the Dark Order from a joke into an incredible babyface group of underdogs. They also have a very strong tag division.

In the same period WWE have had a great run from Reigns and made Drew McIntyre a top guy while not making any other stars. Second biggest show of the year has Goldberg in one main event  amd Cena in the other. Even Cena is shitting on it. 

Completely agree that the Gage stuff was garbage wrestling but there is a big market for it right now, GCW are doing good business, and it won't be on every week. 

Is there that much of a big market for someone like Gage? 

Death match wrestling is pretty niche and I honestly don't think a mainstream wrestling product should be spotlighting such stuff, particularly on their weekly TV show. As I said, they'd literally had Moxley and the other bloke (tall fella) engage in a Texas death match the week before, which involved a fork to the forehead and a barbwire table among other things. In recent weeks we've also had a chair match and a completely pointless strap match too. 

They got themselves into trouble with Dominos for the Gage match, intentionally or not. I know a lot of AEW fans were dismissive of the furore, failing to realise that AEW, particularly as  a wrestling product, doesn't want to get itself a reputation as unfriendly to advertisers. 

Also - Dominos don't choose to advertise during AEW, their agency will have bought x amount of time to be broadcast on the Turner Network. 

Whole Gage thing got great sense story wise where MJF put 5 "Herculean tasks" before Jericho if he is too face him.

Remember that most of AEW audience are indy fans who know who Gage is, also remember that lot of people found out who Gage is after he appeared on Dark Side of the Ring.

Having said match week after Texas death match was beyond stupid, though.

I don't like death match wrestling and for me it is a garbage usually done by fans who want to wrestle but don't know how. Still i appreciate AEW's way of thinking and having both Nick Gage and Juventud Guerrera in AEW for purpose of this storyline.