Wrestling Thread

aeroswfc

I don't look forward to Mania hardly at all. It's normally just one or two matches that they book well that makes me interested. As I don't watch Raw or SD it means picking up on any clips I might see on Twitter or something that can get me invested.

What has been booked well this year? Edge is one of the few guys who can cut a proper promo, although Roman/Heyman and Bryan are good too so that is probably why that story has felt like it works. Probably helps that Bryan is on the creative team. The rest of the card I struggle to care. They've even managed to screw up Bianca v Sasha.

NXT on the other hand always manages to build it's top matches really well for Takeover. The last three matches on the card last night were all well built going in and all delivered hard. They were all probably 4.5+ star matches. I genuinely hope WALTER never loses that UK Title.

Looking forward to night two as you know Cole & KOR will be excellent, Reed vs Gargano could be great and Balor has been brilliant recently. The best match could be Devlin vs Escobar although with the stuff that came out about Devlin last year it kind of sours that for me.

Night two not even close. Ladder match was ok, Gargano/Reed pretty good, KOR/Cole was good not great. The other two matches were not good. I hate Kross, he's meant to be some MMA style striker and he looks like he's stroking his opponents instead of hitting them. Weak.

I preferred Sasha & Bianca just because of the pure emotion but that was a great triple threat. Literally every prediction I had seen was making a case for Edge or Bryan to win so Roman winning was a big shock. 

I hate anything to do with The Fiend so I hated that but the rest was pretty good on night two. Would have liked Kevin and Sami to get five more minutes (like Cesaro & Rollins also deserved) but they had a great sprint.

How good is Edge btw?

I'm finding a new level of appreciation for the man.

Arguably, in the best shape of his career too which is remarkable.

Bryan is just a great professional wrestler.

Reigns is the best character in the business right now and a very accomplished in-ring performer.

From a wrestling standpoint - I think over both nights was pretty damn good (perhaps the best in years)

The build-ups and promos for the majority of matches was poor and felt rushed.  Matches put together last minute.  Shane VS Strowman - basically Shane called him thick as pigshit on RAW a few weeks back and that was it - Mania match 🤦‍♂️

Zayn VS Owens - as per usual with these two they had a great match - some of the best in-ring chemistry you'll see from any superstars.  Terrible story tho - I just didn't buy the whole conspiracy angle Zayn was shooting.

Fiend VS Orton - What an entrance from Bray - Orton didn't need to win this match, strange ending.  Can't believe they let Orton have the pin after 1 RKO - considering he did exactly the same thing last week and Bray got up immediately.  Poor finish

Triple threat was fantastic - Edge is pure class, in unbelievable shape as well.  Probably more ripped now than he was in his prime.  Was expecting interference in this match - perhaps Brock making a shock return and Hayman turning on Reigns at the end would have been sweet.  Perhaps too early for this - I think this will happen at some point in the future.

18 minutes ago, SPQR-10 said:

Triple threat was fantastic - Edge is pure class, in unbelievable shape as well.  Probably more ripped now than he was in his prime.  Was expecting interference in this match

There was a fair bit of interference from Uso but I get what you mean. The Roman winning I thought there might be an angle at the end to get the big pop but I was glad they didn't. 

54 minutes ago, SiJ said:

How good is Edge btw

I would have loved to be in the meeting when Edge and Bryan were putting the match together - I'm sure Roman and Heyman had input too. Incredible storytelling. 

4 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

I preferred Sasha & Bianca just because of the pure emotion but that was a great triple threat. Literally every prediction I had seen was making a case for Edge or Bryan to win so Roman winning was a big shock. 

I hate anything to do with The Fiend so I hated that but the rest was pretty good on night two. Would have liked Kevin and Sami to get five more minutes (like Cesaro & Rollins also deserved) but they had a great sprint.

why don’t you like anything to do with The Fiend? For me he is the best and most creative thing WWE have got. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

why don’t you like anything to do with The Fiend? For me he is the best and most creative thing WWE have got. 

If the gimmick was that Bray Wyatt has turned into this ultra cheerful, happy go lucky guy who has this dark side that makes him a vicious killer then ok. I think that is what Wyatt was doing, or trying to do, when he debuted the character. It has limitations in that as soon as he's beaten then you hit a dead end. He isn't going to actually kill someone, he's just a scary dude who can be beaten in no time at all by a 50 year old guy who "wrestles" twice a year.

To be fair to Bray the character got over and then unfortunately for him they WWE-ified it to a point where he became some kind of magical B-movie horror monster thing that they can set on fire, kill, bring back from the dead, have goo come out of opponents mouths, no-sell everything BUT who they can sell a load of merch with. Those masks and his alternate title belt sold like crazy.

If they wanted it to work for longer than a few months they should never have given him the belt and he should have rarely been in The Fiend persona. Keep him as Funhouse Bray and do the skits. They dont make money out of that though, they make money out of the horror character. 

It was a nice idea and I think Bray is very creative but it was never going to have a long shelf life. 

Plus having that fucking red light for his matches is garbage. It was horrible when they did it at the start of Kane's run and it's horrible now.

• Thanks 1

It's just too hokey. 

I know Undertaker, Kane etc., did goofy sh*t (and some of that went too far), but some of the Bray stuff is just so stupid. 

That match he had last year with Cena were they were pretty much operating in some sort of alternative reality or something. 

Suppose some of the kids love it and buy the merch and so forth, but the fact is that WWE's core audience still largely skews older and sh*t like that is just too dumb to take seriously. 

The fact that Bray is pretty awful in the ring (particularly when he's the Fiend) doesn't really help things. 

RAW is a disaster zone really. Very little to redeem it. 

SD actually has something worth turning into. 

Omega beats Swann for the Impact title. 

Not sure what it is with Kenny but his title runs are just not great. His IWGP run was poor and this AEW one hasn't been good either.

Is he going to be on Impact every week?

5 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

Omega beats Swann for the Impact title. 

Not sure what it is with Kenny but his title runs are just not great. His IWGP run was poor and this AEW one hasn't been good either.

Is he going to be on Impact every week?

Some are better when they're chasing.

For all his talent, I'm not sure Omega is at that level where I'd have him as *the guy.*

Think he lacks a bit on the mic. Cadence of his voice is a bit meh, better as a bitchy heel than dominating one. Also prone to acting like a bit of a goof.

I'm just not sure he knows the character he's playing and the booking reflects that. Callis knows his character but i dont think Kenny does. It's not like the booking at the top of the card wasn't good before, both Jericho and Mox were booked great and carried themselves as the top guy in the company. Kenny was doing that before he got the title but hasn't since he won it. 

If you watch Dynamite it's for Hangman, Britt Baker and Darby's tv title defenses at the moment. 

On 26/04/2021 at 21:18, Adem Poric said:

I'm just not sure he knows the character he's playing and the booking reflects that. Callis knows his character but i dont think Kenny does. It's not like the booking at the top of the card wasn't good before, both Jericho and Mox were booked great and carried themselves as the top guy in the company. Kenny was doing that before he got the title but hasn't since he won it. 

If you watch Dynamite it's for Hangman, Britt Baker and Darby's tv title defenses at the moment. 

Haven't the Bucks and Cody suffered from the exact same problem re: whether they are heel or face? 

I mean Cody is meant to be a face, right? 

And yet when I do watch AEW, he acts like a smug, disingenuous pr*ck most of the time and has an entourage accompanying him to the ring bigger than Mike Tyson in his prime. 

6 hours ago, SiJ said:

Haven't the Bucks and Cody suffered from the exact same problem re: whether they are heel or face? 

I mean Cody is meant to be a face, right? 

And yet when I do watch AEW, he acts like a smug, disingenuous pr*ck most of the time and has an entourage accompanying him to the ring bigger than Mike Tyson in his prime. 

Cody is playing the long game though. He knows he should be a heel, he has everything in his set up to be a heel (entourage, smugness, money, ridiculous pyro) but he was always going to get cheers when they started the company. Everyone know his history and he cuts great face promos talking about that history.

It's only a matter of time before he turns, he probably would have turned by now if there were crowds and if the storyline hadn't led to Kenny getting there first.