Wrestling Thread

aeroswfc

3 hours ago, jambler said:

The Fiend to return at Wrestlemania? 

Story has been dragging for too long now surely. 

Not half. 

I only really watch the clips of RAW/SD on Youtube these days, as I couldn't endure going through 5 hours of that. 

Randy has been pretty much feuding with Alexa Bliss for the last six months, or it feels like it. 

Will actually watch a bit of Dynamite, as I want to see Christian back in the ring.

Poor ratings for both AEW and NXT this week. 

It's weird with AEW. 

They have got all the resources to be a really top company and yet on the rare occasions I do watch, I get vibes of both TNA and WCW 2000. The shows are so schizophrenic and some of the talent are badly exposed for the fact they're just not very good.

Clearly, there is a massive issue throughout wrestling when it comes to attracting new fans.

Edited by SiJ

NXT was up in the key demo quite a bit so I think they'll be happy. It was a good show as well. The Takeover cards look fantastic. Genuinely excited for WALTER vs Ciampa. It's going to be stiff as fuck. 

I'll watch Dynamite. I'm invested in some of the character arcs and it has great promos every week. There is usually good wrestling in at least 50% of the matches too so I think they'll only get stronger. They need to concentrate on the Hangman's, Baker's, Fenix's, etc though. Those guys are stars.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Will actually watch a bit of Dynamite, as I want to see Christian back in the ring.

Poor ratings for both AEW and NXT this week. 

It's weird with AEW. 

They have got all the resources to be a really top company and yet on the rare occasions I do watch, I get vibes of both TNA and WCW 2000. The shows are so schizophrenic and some of the talent are badly exposed for the fact they're just not very good.

Clearly, there is a massive issue throughout wrestling when it comes to attracting new fans.

The woman's division proves this vastly for me. 

One week you have an amazing match like the Lights Out one with Rosa & Baker, then the following week you have...Nyla Rose. 

WWE is streets ahead when it comes to the woman's talent pool IMO.

I'm not a fan of Nyla Rose but she is streets ahead of Nia Jax. NXT has the best women's wrestling in North America. Raw and SD are built around about six women - who are all exceptional or very good - Banks, Bayley, Flair, Asuka, Belair and Shayna. The rest are not good.

AEW have got better. Statlander coming back is huge for them but they are still way behind.

See I think the opposite about Nyla and Nia. Though Nia's current story is horseshit. 

I do agree there are only a handful. Nobody getting pushed? 

Thinking shout both Raw and SD there are nobody new at all other than Riddle and he has been there a few years now. All the same blokes week in week out and seems to be getting a smaller talent pool.

The talent pool is there but most of them will look terrible on Raw and SD until Vince is gone. While he is still having final say it won't get better. Matt Riddle  (ignoring the accusations against him) is a legitimate shoot fighter who is being made to look like a dopey bellend every week on Raw because Vince finds the idiot stoner character hilarious. 

Sorry pal but Nia Jax is in the top three worst wrestlers I've ever seen - men or women. She's also injured too many people now it to be overlooked. She shouldn't be anywhere near a wrestling ring.

14 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

The talent pool is there but most of them will look terrible on Raw and SD until Vince is gone. While he is still having final say it won't get better. Matt Riddle  (ignoring the accusations against him) is a legitimate shoot fighter who is being made to look like a dopey bellend every week on Raw because Vince finds the idiot stoner character hilarious. 

Sorry pal but Nia Jax is in the top three worst wrestlers I've ever seen - men or women. She's also injured too many people now it to be overlooked. She shouldn't be anywhere near a wrestling ring.

Not saying Nia is great btw. Just that I think she is a lot better than Nyla. Opinions innit. 

Only found out about Riddle's past history in wrestling the other day when I was reading about when Vince decided to have the MMA night that was a disaster years ago. 

4 hours ago, Chris_B_SWFC said:

Jericho appearing on Stone Cold’s Broken Skull Sessions on April 11th. Interesting, I’ll renew my network subscription for a month to watch that. 

I wonder how censored it’ll be. 

Austin pushed for it so I'm expecting it to be pretty good. I doubt they'll go into the NJPW stuff much but I don't see why they won't talk about AEW.

On 04/04/2021 at 07:39, Chris_B_SWFC said:

Jericho appearing on Stone Cold’s Broken Skull Sessions on April 11th. Interesting, I’ll renew my network subscription for a month to watch that. 

I wonder how censored it’ll be. 

Tbf, I don't think WWE sees AEW as competition. If they did, then Jericho ain't appearing on the WWE network. 

One suspects this might be the first step towards Jericho coming back "home". 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, I don't think WWE sees AEW as competition. If they did, then Jericho ain't appearing on the WWE network. 

One suspects this might be the first step towards Jericho coming back "home". 

I read the situation as the wrestling business being on its knees.

For me, everythings gone. Can't take any pride in your work when you're a diluted version of yourself.

WWE doesn't see anyone as a threat because they have guaranteed income of billions of dollars for the next five(?) years through their tv deals with Raw and Smackdown, income from Peacock, NXT has a new tv deal they signed starting after Mania when they move to Tuesday, new international deals in the UK and India. Also, once travel opens back up they will have house show gates and merch again, they will be able to go back to Saudi and take the propaganda money again. They are an absolute financial juggernaut.

The main product sucks because of Vince and the way they work with their writing and promos but the talent they have is incredible. The money they bring in is insane. 

AEW are doing a pretty good job but no one knows what they will do in regards to house shows or touring. Their tv deal is not going to be anywhere near the level of the WWE. 

9 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

The main product sucks because of Vince and the way they work with their writing and promos but the talent they have is incredible. The money they bring in is insane. 

Fully agree it's the writing, storylines and promos which are suffering horrendously right now. Looking beyond this issue, could it be the constraints they're working under?

Say you have a talent like Enzo, who's more mouth than actual wrestling ability. Imagine the days spent writing a skit for him to walk out on raw and deliver it within 5 minutes, without offending anyone. It was hard to trust a character like Enzo.

Words seem more powerful than actions these days. WWE have built an empire and are fully aware how easy it could crumble. So the freedoms which wrestlers had many years ago, have gone. It's never been closer to a circus.

I bet there's alot of frustration from the Wrestlers themselves. The product is now driven to satisfy sponsors and tv networks, whilst doing it's best to satisfy fans, but falling way short.

I'm only sharing how I feel because I've always looked forward to Wrestlemania season, been to a mania myself. Just sort of feel it could be 100 times better. I would rather watch 2 unbeaten kids full of confidence battling each other on the UFC prelims than a WWE PPV.