Boxing

Guest Big Guns

10 minutes ago, 0742 said:

I mean, if you only watch boxing when it's on sky sports box office, i can maybe see why you would think that. But again it's a reductionist point of view and severely lacks any decent critical thinking.

But sure, if you consider getting punched in the face as 'easy' then maybe in some strange way you could see it as such. 

I watch plenty of boxing, I enjoy it, I just don’t think they’re in the same calibre as many other sports on a talent level. It takes more natural talent to be good at other sports, in boxing it seems to me that good coaching can quickly get somebody to a high standard.

21 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I watch plenty of boxing, I enjoy it, I just don’t think they’re in the same calibre as many other sports on a talent level. It takes more natural talent to be good at other sports, in boxing it seems to me that good coaching can quickly get somebody to a high standard.

Do you have any idea how thick and ignorant you sound?! 

5 minutes ago, 0742 said:

Do you have any idea how thick and ignorant you sound?! 

No need to get upset and personal. I don’t think badminton players are as talented as tennis, rugby players are not as talented as footballers as examples. In my opinion I spent a lot of time thinking boxers were of the highest calibre of athletes but my opinion of that has changed over the years, based on things such as a lad I played rugby with being on TV multiple times, the Paul brothers highlighting what good coaching can do, the fact that the likes of Joe Joyce, Joshua, Whyte, started the sport quite late. 

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

No need to get upset and personal. I don’t think badminton players are as talented as tennis, rugby players are not as talented as footballers as examples. In my opinion I spent a lot of time thinking boxers were of the highest calibre of athletes but my opinion of that has changed over the years, based on things such as a lad I played rugby with being on TV multiple times, the Paul brothers highlighting what good coaching can do, the fact that the likes of Joe Joyce, Joshua, Whyte, started the sport quite late. 

Paul brothers! I should have know you were just trolling all along WTF:

On 05/10/2021 at 15:05, Ellis Rimmer said:

Heavyweights are different. 

At HW, yes, a good athlete could take it up relatively late and do quite well (eg Michael Grant), but that's QUITE well, and they'd need to have some natural talent, and its heavyweights. They have the sheer size and power to end contests in an instant. Roger Federer can hit the most amazing forehand you've ever seen but its still only worth one point, and the match continues. 

Could a decent athlete take up boxing and be coached to be competitive with Lomachenko for example? Absolutely not. 

6 minutes ago, whatevertrevor said:

Heavyweights are different. 

At HW, yes, a good athlete could take it up relatively late and do quite well (eg Michael Grant), but that's QUITE well, and they'd need to have some natural talent, and its heavyweights. They have the sheer size and power to end contests in an instant. Roger Federer can hit the most amazing forehand you've ever seen but its still only worth one point, and the match continues. 

Could a decent athlete take up boxing and be coached to be competitive with Lomachenko for example? Absolutely not. 

Lomachenko weighs about 60kg. They aren’t actually many men that small, the rungs of the ladder to the top in those divisions aren’t that high. Not that he’s actually that good anyway.

47 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Lomachenko weighs about 60kg. They aren’t actually many men that small, the rungs of the ladder to the top in those divisions aren’t that high. Not that he’s actually that good anyway.

Plenty of men around 60kg in South East Asia, South America, Central America etc, and remember we are talking about lean athletes here, not guys carrying 20kg of excess weight. There are plenty.  Thousands.

Think of all the little clubs in Mexico, thousands of lightweights learning their craft, replicate that in the Phillipines, Japan etc. Think of a lad from Birmingham starting at a club, starting to spar, being good enough to even be allowed to compete in a novice bout, to win a novice bout, to win enough to fight as a senior amateur, to win as a senior, to maybe, if he is one of the very best in the country be called up to the GB set up. To go to Sheffield and full time learn his craft and perhaps be picked to represent them in an international tournament, to beat international opponents, to maybe qualify for a championship, to win a championship and so on and so on - and that's before he has even become a professional. 

Elite boxers are as elite as anyone. But yes, the 1000th best boxer in a weight class wouldn't be as good as the 1000th best footballer, of course not. But on the other hand, only a handful of boxers are considered elite, yet there are 1000s of positions available as a top class footballer. 

As for Lomachencko, I'm not sure what you'd consider 'that good' if you don't consider him that good. His skillset is phenomenal. 

Anyway, I do think you have a vague point if we think of heavyweights, and think of getting to a certain level. But getting to the point of being a truly elite fighter, no, you've taken it too far IMO. 

1 hour ago, whatevertrevor said:

Plenty of men around 60kg in South East Asia, South America, Central America etc, and remember we are talking about lean athletes here, not guys carrying 20kg of excess weight. There are plenty.  Thousands.

Think of all the little clubs in Mexico, thousands of lightweights learning their craft, replicate that in the Phillipines, Japan etc. Think of a lad from Birmingham starting at a club, starting to spar, being good enough to even be allowed to compete in a novice bout, to win a novice bout, to win enough to fight as a senior amateur, to win as a senior, to maybe, if he is one of the very best in the country be called up to the GB set up. To go to Sheffield and full time learn his craft and perhaps be picked to represent them in an international tournament, to beat international opponents, to maybe qualify for a championship, to win a championship and so on and so on - and that's before he has even become a professional. 

Elite boxers are as elite as anyone. But yes, the 1000th best boxer in a weight class wouldn't be as good as the 1000th best footballer, of course not. But on the other hand, only a handful of boxers are considered elite, yet there are 1000s of positions available as a top class footballer. 

As for Lomachencko, I'm not sure what you'd consider 'that good' if you don't consider him that good. His skillset is phenomenal. 

Anyway, I do think you have a vague point if we think of heavyweights, and think of getting to a certain level. But getting to the point of being a truly elite fighter, no, you've taken it too far IMO. 

I am not saying they’re mugs I just don’t think they’re the cream of sports any longer.

I thought Lomachenko was a bit overrated, people glossed over that early loss too easily.

anyone watch the press conference last night? Fury doesn’t sound in a good place to me, Wilder seems to be in his head the way Fury was in Klits. The moment Fury levelled those questions on Wilder and was bemused by his reply reminded me of Klitschko being completely confused by Fury boasting about the sauna lol 

15 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I am not saying they’re mugs I just don’t think they’re the cream of sports any longer.

I thought Lomachenko was a bit overrated, people glossed over that early loss too easily.

anyone watch the press conference last night? Fury doesn’t sound in a good place to me, Wilder seems to be in his head the way Fury was in Klits. The moment Fury levelled those questions on Wilder and was bemused by his reply reminded me of Klitschko being completely confused by Fury boasting about the sauna lol 

Fair enough, I agree to a point about the depth at least compared to football for eg. 

Haven't heard it all. What was the reply that bemused Fury?

I'm finding it hard to read either of them. Wilder believes his own poop as he is that dumb, and Fury obviously has very obvious ups and downs. 

1 hour ago, whatevertrevor said:

Fair enough, I agree to a point about the depth at least compared to football for eg. 

Haven't heard it all. What was the reply that bemused Fury?

I'm finding it hard to read either of them. Wilder believes his own poop as he is that dumb, and Fury obviously has very obvious ups and downs. 

He just didn’t seem to comprehend that his logical argument went over Deontay’s head. He also mentioned problems at home. I am a little worried about it all I think Deontay will come out swinging. Just worried about that right hand bomb lol 

There are two ways the fight goes I think;

- Wilder flies out and swings constantly from round one, Fury weaves out of the way and Wilder is punched out in 6 rounds.

- Wilder sets up like AJ against Usyk and gets boxed to death for 12 rounds

• Like 1

Best boxer in the world = Tyson Fury

What do I think will happen…

Wilder by KO/TKO. Reason being I think Fury in his mind has beaten him already (twice, maybe once technically). Wilder has something to prove.

Hope I’m wrong as I’m a big Fury fan but can just feel it.

• Like 1

Really hope Fury does the business. I think if he gets past the first few rounds he will win the fight, danger for me is Wilder in the early rounds when he is full of energy and swinging for the fences. 

19 hours ago, robowl4life said:

Best boxer in the world = Tyson Fury

What do I think will happen…

Wilder by KO/TKO. Reason being I think Fury in his mind has beaten him already (twice, maybe once technically). Wilder has something to prove.

Hope I’m wrong as I’m a big Fury fan but can just feel it.

This is how I feel yep 

54 minutes ago, 0742 said:

Wilder looks huge

I still think he will get a ko, but fury could just box his head off too.

I wonder if Wilder has been on the good stuff. I'm sure he's actually convinced himself that Fury cheated in the last fight and may be justification to cheat himself!