Jump to content

Boxing


Guest Big Guns

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, MSN SYSOP said:

If that was fury on Saturday night..do you think fury would have put him to bed early. 

He would have no doubt stopped him. I keep hearing Tony Bellew bang on about how AJ ( in his opinion) would get Fury out of there within the first 6 rounds. To have a chance of doing that, he would have to be aggressive early doors and try to break Fury down, since the Ruiz loss AJ has been far more cautious and to fight like this would be a disaster against Fury, I can’t see any way that AJ could beat Fury and I have always held that belief.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

He would have no doubt stopped him. I keep hearing Tony Bellew bang on about how AJ ( in his opinion) would get Fury out of there within the first 6 rounds. To have a chance of doing that, he would have to be aggressive early doors and try to break Fury down, since the Ruiz loss AJ has been far more cautious and to fight like this would be a disaster against Fury, I can’t see any way that AJ could beat Fury and I have always held that belief.

Honest opinion..I think fury would do AJ and easy....the days like a lennox Lewis who could alter his style to win are gone

 

Any upcoming new lads for us as we've dominated division for years 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MSN SYSOP said:

 

Any upcoming new lads for us as we've dominated division for years 

 

If he can get mentally right after his eye socket got caved in I'd still be on Danny Dubois. Even though he lost to Joe Joyce he should come again. Joyce himself is 36 so his time needs to be now. Joyce vs Dillian Whyte would be a good scrap.

 

Outside of that you're probably looking at Fabio Wardley who should be close to a British title shot. He knocked out Nick Webb (solid veteran) in about a minute earlier this year - well worth looking for on youtube.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MSN SYSOP said:

If that was fury on Saturday night..do you think fury would have put him to bed early. 

That's a tough one.

 

2 technically good boxers going against each other could be very boring, but fury would most likely try and put it on him. 

 

His size and awkwardness would be another challenge for usyk, but there are better heavyweight fights before that happens. 

 

That as it stands is the end game for the division atm, needs to come last.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, WatfordOwl said:

That's a tough one.

 

2 technically good boxers going against each other could be very boring, but fury would most likely try and put it on him. 

 

His size and awkwardness would be another challenge for usyk, but there are better heavyweight fights before that happens. 

 

That as it stands is the end game for the division atm, needs to come last.

 

I think Fury v Usyk would be a dreadful fight, but Fury would prevail. I am a big fan of both, but the styles wouldn’t gel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/09/2021 at 16:00, Adem Poric said:

 

While true of may weight divisions that isn't necessarily true for heavyweights. Bigger guys have more power. If you are much bigger you can use that to your advantage. The better boxer always has a chance but the big guy can limit that chance - he just needs to throw some meaningful punches instead of hiding behind his jab and getting out thought and out skilled. 

 

Usyk is a very good boxer but he wouldn't have beat the AJ that fought Vladimir, he would have been knocked out. Imagine Wilder against Usyk, a terrible boxer but he knows that so he would go and bang him out. Dillian White would approach it the same, try and get him out of there early. AJ, and his team, made a big mistake.

 

 

 

So you think AJ just needed to throw big punches and that negates Usyk's skill?! Usyk has lost only 15 times in over 350 amateur bouts, cleaned up the most stacked cruiserweight division ever and then steps up to heavyweight with a still perfect record. Come on, that is just ridiculous and there have been a lot of ridiculous posts on these last 4 pages!
 

If you think it's that easy, get yourself down to the Ingle gym, ask if you can have a move around with one of their flyweights and see if you can land a punch on one of them Herol bomber graham used to offer £100 to joe public if one could land a glove on him in a round, never had to pay anyone out. 

 

Boxing is about more than just being a big guy throwing punches. "Usyk is a very good boxer" no he's not, he's a generational talent, the likes of which we are very lucky to see. 

 

Also, Wilder weighs about the same as Usyk, he would get ko'd badly by usyk because he doesn't have the footwork to get out of range quick enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After watching the Campbell Hatton fight and coming to the conclusion that they gave him the win to protect his future worth, I’m coming to the conclusion that the whole thing is a set up.

 

The AJ / USYK battle will now be turned into a 3 fight deal, why earn £100 million for 1 fight when you can earn £300 million for 3.

 

The way AJ stood off and pawed at USYK like a kitten was pretty pathetic. 
 

The whole night looked staged to me, and before anyone says usyk outboxed him, I agree, he did. I think this is Eddie Hearn realising he can make more money out of a 3 fight trilogy than having a boxer without an L on his record.

 

The Fury / AJ fight is being saved for a last big payday. 
 

Can’t get that Campbell Hatton fight out of my mind in a week where we’ve seen manipulated scoring at the 2016 olympics too. 

 

 

Edited by Mac_77
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Mac_77 said:

After watching the Campbell Hatton fight and coming to the conclusion that they gave him the win to protect his future worth, I’m coming to the conclusion that the whole thing is a set up.

 

The AJ / USYK battle will now be turned into a 3 fight deal, why earn £100 million for 1 fight when you can earn £300 million for 3.

 

The way AJ stood off and pawed at USYK like a kitten was pretty pathetic. 
 

The whole night looked staged to me, and before anyone says usyk outboxed him, I agree, he did. I think this is Eddie Hearn realising he can make more money out of a 3 fight trilogy than having a boxer without an L on his record.

 

The Fury / AJ fight is being saved for a last big payday. 
 

Can’t get that Campbell Hatton fight out of my mind in a week where we’ve seen manipulated scoring at the 2016 olympics too. 

 

 

 

 

It's ever been thus since the era of the great fighters lining up to fight each other with regularity

 

Happened when there were splits in the governance and went from 1 body WBA to 2 (WBC) the IBF and then WBO

 

"unifying belts" became the money spinner as one "world champ" eventually fought another "world champ" - with lots of pay days in between

 

It's where we're at now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/10/2021 at 09:54, Mac_77 said:

After watching the Campbell Hatton fight and coming to the conclusion that they gave him the win to protect his future worth, I’m coming to the conclusion that the whole thing is a set up.

 

The AJ / USYK battle will now be turned into a 3 fight deal, why earn £100 million for 1 fight when you can earn £300 million for 3.

 

The way AJ stood off and pawed at USYK like a kitten was pretty pathetic. 
 

The whole night looked staged to me, and before anyone says usyk outboxed him, I agree, he did. I think this is Eddie Hearn realising he can make more money out of a 3 fight trilogy than having a boxer without an L on his record.

 

The Fury / AJ fight is being saved for a last big payday. 
 

Can’t get that Campbell Hatton fight out of my mind in a week where we’ve seen manipulated scoring at the 2016 olympics too. 

 

 

Yeh a lot of it is bent for sure. I think a lot of these fights are financed by dirty money too which I reckon is one of the reasons it takes so long to sort a fight out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/09/2021 at 14:05, 0742 said:

 

So you think AJ just needed to throw big punches and that negates Usyk's skill?! Usyk has lost only 15 times in over 350 amateur bouts, cleaned up the most stacked cruiserweight division ever and then steps up to heavyweight with a still perfect record. Come on, that is just ridiculous and there have been a lot of ridiculous posts on these last 4 pages!
 

If you think it's that easy, get yourself down to the Ingle gym, ask if you can have a move around with one of their flyweights and see if you can land a punch on one of them Herol bomber graham used to offer £100 to joe public if one could land a glove on him in a round, never had to pay anyone out. 

 

Boxing is about more than just being a big guy throwing punches. "Usyk is a very good boxer" no he's not, he's a generational talent, the likes of which we are very lucky to see. 

 

Also, Wilder weighs about the same as Usyk, he would get ko'd badly by usyk because he doesn't have the footwork to get out of range quick enough. 

I’ve come to believe this opinion is actually wrong. If they’re that skilful how come people can start the sport late and still become world champions? You wouldn’t see that in many other sports, could you imagine a tennis player starting in his late teens and becoming a champion?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I’ve come to believe this opinion is actually wrong. If they’re that skilful how come people can start the sport late and still become world champions? You wouldn’t see that in many other sports, could you imagine a tennis player starting in his late teens and becoming a champion?

 

The only definitive way you're going to prove to yourself whether you're right or wrong, is to get down to the local boxing gym and try and mix it up with one of the pro's. To try and simplify it down to 'big guys wins fight, big guy is strong' and reduce it down to an unskilled sport, well it's either basic trolling or you've not had your coffee yet this morning. 

 

No boxer has come in to the sport 'late' and become a world champion with no athletic base, but again, your attempt at such a reductionist labelling of the sport serves only to highlight your own ignorance. You make it sound like some out of shape never played sport guy just rocks up puts some gloves on and then starts ko'ing people. That in itself is ignorant to not only sport, but the theory of what it takes to excel in any sport, something i'd have actually expected you to be aware of. 

 

for some videos on the skill of boxing, here's a good youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVkLc2_C-_2DbkAtPoUJWVA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 0742 said:

 

The only definitive way you're going to prove to yourself whether you're right or wrong, is to get down to the local boxing gym and try and mix it up with one of the pro's. To try and simplify it down to 'big guys wins fight, big guy is strong' and reduce it down to an unskilled sport, well it's either basic trolling or you've not had your coffee yet this morning. 

 

No boxer has come in to the sport 'late' and become a world champion with no athletic base, but again, your attempt at such a reductionist labelling of the sport serves only to highlight your own ignorance. You make it sound like some out of shape never played sport guy just rocks up puts some gloves on and then starts ko'ing people. That in itself is ignorant to not only sport, but the theory of what it takes to excel in any sport, something i'd have actually expected you to be aware of. 

 

for some videos on the skill of boxing, here's a good youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVkLc2_C-_2DbkAtPoUJWVA

Well a lad I used to play rugby with up until the age of 17 is now boxing on tv, he was not a good rugby player but he’s managed to get himself to tv level after taking up boxing through white collar fights. They are not many rungs to the ladder in this sport. Joshua didn’t take it up til he was about 18. Joe Joyce in his 20s. Imagine if Roger Federer started tennis at 20, or Messi? It just wouldn’t happen.


end of the day just look how far Deontay Wilder has got on the back of a big punch? Could you imagine that guy being good at literally any other sport?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Well a lad I used to play rugby with up until the age of 17 is now boxing on tv, he was not a good rugby player but he’s managed to get himself to tv level after taking up boxing through white collar fights. They are not many rungs to the ladder in this sport. Joshua didn’t take it up til he was about 18. Joe Joyce in his 20s. Imagine if Roger Federer started tennis at 20, or Messi? It just wouldn’t happen.


end of the day just look how far Deontay Wilder has got on the back of a big punch? Could you imagine that guy being good at literally any other sport?

 

So a lad, who already had a decent athletic base, was used to playing a sport which requires good hand foot coordination, as well as being both physical and potentially dangerous, swaps over and finds he's actually not too bad at boxing.... how strange.

 

Deontay Wilder, many believe, could have had a career in pro basketball, another sport with high physical demands and hand eye coordination, as well as the need for good footwork, so yeah i can imagine him being great at other sports, as he was known as an exceptional athlete. I've also met Wilder, i asked him what made him think he would be a world champion, he held his hands out and made a fist and said "speed kills when you get hit with these". 

 

Funny you mention Federer too,  he was very much an all rounder until his late teens, when he then started to focus specifically on tennis, it's mentioned in the podcasts i linked. 

 

Let us know how you get on at the local boxing gym, will look forward to you getting your first world title 

 

lol

Edited by 0742
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 0742 said:

 

So a lad, who already had a decent athletic base, was used to playing a sport which requires good hand foot coordination, as well as being both physical and potentially dangerous, swaps over and finds he's actually not too bad at boxing.... how strange.

 

Deontay Wilder, many believe, could have had a career in pro basketball, another sport with high physical demands and hand eye coordination, as well as the need for good footwork, so yeah i can imagine him being great at other sports, as he was known as an exceptional athlete. I've also met Wilder, i asked him what made him think he would be a world champion, he held his hands out and made a fist and said "speed kills when you get hit with these". 

 

Funny you mention Federer too,  he was very much an all rounder until his late teens, when he then started to focus specifically on tennis, it's mentioned in the podcasts i linked. 

 

Let us know how you get on at the local boxing gym, will look forward to you getting your first world title 

 

lol

Do you admit it’s an easier sport to get to top level in than football or tennis though?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Do you admit it’s an easier sport to get to top level in than football or tennis though?

 

I mean, if you only watch boxing when it's on sky sports box office, i can maybe see why you would think that. But again it's a reductionist point of view and severely lacks any decent critical thinking.

 

But sure, if you consider getting punched in the face as 'easy' then maybe in some strange way you could see it as such. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...