Boxing

Guest Big Guns

I scored it 118-112 for Usyk. I gave AJ 2 rounds and a couple of drawn rounds. 
I thought Usyk would win the fight but AJ would get the decision, thankfully Usyk wasn’t shafted by the judges. Howard Foster the British judge gave it 115-113 to Usyk which was very very generous to AJ

A lot of casual boxing fans seem to think AJ is this beast that steamrolls people, when the reality is different. He is a good but not great fighter in my opinion. Fury would wipe the floor with him imo.

Since the Ruiz loss, AJ appears to be gun shy. Another minute of that fight and Usyk stops AJ

Disappointing performance from AJ, no movement and repeatedly fell for the same faint and job. 

But it was really good to see a good fight, with professional boxers. The boxing drama series with Yourubers needs it's own brand as it's tarnishing real boxing. Separate it from boxing, like WWE is separate from UFC. 

7 hours ago, 83owl said:

Worrying that he didn’t once try and change what obviously wasn’t working and all you can hear from his corner is encouragement when he slipped a jab or mover out of range etc. 
There were a couple of rounds where he seemed to do a bit better but apart from that he was outclassed all fight and he never changed or adapted.

They kept telling him to be calm when they should have been telling him to wake the fuck up and get angry. What did they expect him to do? Turn into Andre Ward? 

Apart from a few glimpses in rounds 4-6 he didn't look like getting to Usyk. They just went about it all wrong. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

They kept telling him to be calm when they should have been telling him to wake the fuck up and get angry. What did they expect him to do? Turn into Andre Ward? 

Apart from a few glimpses in rounds 4-6 he didn't look like getting to Usyk. They just went about it all wrong. 

Correct. His only chance was walk him down and start swinging. Sure he may well get hit and hurt but he was never ever going to outbox Usyk. Terrible terrible game plan and just made it too easy.

IF he fancies the rematch he needs to get big, go for full power and just go at him for the first 3 rounds. Walk him down, cut off the ring and try for the knockout.

If not it will be the same or worse next time.

I’m not sure if anyone is aware, but the bell rang to end the fight 5 seconds early, at about the time AJ was getting panned on the ropes. I’m not saying Usyk would have stopped him in the 5 seconds that were missing, but he was close to stopping Usyk.

I actually think he could stop him in the rematch as AJ is going to have to take more risks and attempt to let his hands go, but Usyk is very smart and will get more opportunities to counter.

Joshua showed no boxing smarts whatsoever for me.

He fought like a naive challenger, like a complete underdog trying to get lucky, in the biggest fight of his life. Like he had nothing to lose.

Usyk led the dance. Showed all the respect, took the back foot, pulled AJ onto his power shots. The bull and the matador type of fight.

I thought AJ knew better, how can I spot this....but people in his team getting paid comfortably didn't spot it.

He's been let down, we've been let down, that should have never have happened 

He started poorly. But from the 8th onwards his eye was busted and he could barely see a thing. His coaches were telling him to stay behind the jab, probably to protect him. If he’d gone for it at that point, he’d probably have been knocked out and that’s the outcome he wanted to avoid.

He’d lost the fight. Usyk wasn’t going to get knocked out. So just hang in there, survive and lose on points. Better than being knocked out and tarnishing your reputation and getting dogs abuse online. 

15 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Joshua showed no boxing smarts whatsoever for me.

He fought like a naive challenger, like a complete underdog trying to get lucky, in the biggest fight of his life. Like he had nothing to lose.

Usyk led the dance. Showed all the respect, took the back foot, pulled AJ onto his power shots. The bull and the matador type of fight.

I thought AJ knew better, how can I spot this....but people in his team getting paid comfortably didn't spot it.

He's been let down, we've been let down, that should have never have happened 

He lost to the better fighter. He was feeling him out first couple of rounds, but Usyk was absolutely immense and by the time Joshua got into the swing of it, Usyk was in the driving seat. 

I don’t think it’s a case of him being let down by his coaches. Just lost to the better man. Even if he changes his game plan next time, there’s only one outcome for me. 

The better boxer normally always wins (unless you’ve got a dodgy judge). 

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

While true of may weight divisions that isn't necessarily true for heavyweights. Bigger guys have more power. If you are much bigger you can use that to your advantage. The better boxer always has a chance but the big guy can limit that chance - he just needs to throw some meaningful punches instead of hiding behind his jab and getting out thought and out skilled. 

Usyk is a very good boxer but he wouldn't have beat the AJ that fought Vladimir, he would have been knocked out. Imagine Wilder against Usyk, a terrible boxer but he knows that so he would go and bang him out. Dillian White would approach it the same, try and get him out of there early. AJ, and his team, made a big mistake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

While true of may weight divisions that isn't necessarily true for heavyweights. Bigger guys have more power. If you are much bigger you can use that to your advantage. The better boxer always has a chance but the big guy can limit that chance - he just needs to throw some meaningful punches instead of hiding behind his jab and getting out thought and out skilled. 

Usyk is a very good boxer but he wouldn't have beat the AJ that fought Vladimir, he would have been knocked out. Imagine Wilder against Usyk, a terrible boxer but he knows that so he would go and bang him out. Dillian White would approach it the same, try and get him out of there early. AJ, and his team, made a big mistake.

Hmm I don’t know. I think people are underestimating quite how good Usyk is. He’s terrific. You can go for the knockout early, but do we think Usyk wouldn’t be able to counter that?

I agree for the rematch he needs to impose himself as the bigger guy. But I think Usyk will be far too skilled for him regardless.

Fury is bigger than Joshua and is a better boxer. So I think he would beat Usyk - he will know how to handle him. AJ just isn’t as good as people believe.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He lost to the better fighter. He was feeling him out first couple of rounds, but Usyk was absolutely immense and by the time Joshua got into the swing of it, Usyk was in the driving seat. 

I don’t think it’s a case of him being let down by his coaches. Just lost to the better man. Even if he changes his game plan next time, there’s only one outcome for me. 

Usyk was immense and the better boxer, I'm not denying that.

But what I said is spot on, Joshua fought like a challenger.

If Joshua fought like Klitchsko has done for many years and he's capable!, it'd be a different story.

Usyk fought like he was defending the belts, Joshua fought like a naive challenger on his first title attempt.

AJ needed to land a monstrous Jab, every time Usyk came in but with AJ on the front foot, he was walking onto Usyks power

1 minute ago, bigash_swfc said:

Usyk was immense and the better boxer, I'm not denying that.

But what I said is spot on, Joshua fought like a challenger.

If Joshua fought like Klitchsko has done for many years and he's capable!, it'd be a different story.

Usyk fought like he was defending the belts, Joshua fought like a naive challenger on his first title attempt.

AJ needed to land a monstrous Jab, every time Usyk came in but with AJ on the front foot, he was walking onto Usyks power

I’m not sure Joshua is capable.

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’m not sure Joshua is capable.

I think he's got all the attributes to have an effective jab, it's just the midset and the occasion. This wasn't the fight to please 70k fans.

He had one chance and now it's gone.

The dynamic for the rematch is completely different. Usyk doesn't run onto the Jab in the 2nd fight.

Joshua isn’t the same since the Ruiz fight. Anytime anyone gets close he just covers up, hunches over and just weaves around a bit before sometimes going for a desperate clinch.

You can see He’s terrified of being put away again.

3 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

I think he's got all the attributes to have an effective jab, it's just the midset and the occasion. This wasn't the fight to please 70k fans.

He had one chance and now it's gone.

The dynamic for the rematch is completely different. Usyk doesn't run onto the Jab in the 2nd fight.

If Joshua loses rematch I don't think there's anywhere for him to go. 

5 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Hmm I don’t know. I think people are underestimating quite how good Usyk is. He’s terrific. You can go for the knockout early, but do we think Usyk wouldn’t be able to counter that?

I agree for the rematch he needs to impose himself as the bigger guy. But I think Usyk will be far too skilled for him regardless.

Fury is bigger than Joshua and is a better boxer. So I think he would beat Usyk - he will know how to handle him. AJ just isn’t as good as people believe.

Not just people, but Joshua's team underestimating him.

Having beat Ruiz behind the jab, and was doing a similar number on Pulev until he realised that Pulev was hurt, maybe it was over confidence on his part to believe matching Usyk for skill was the way to go. 

Just did not impose himself on the fight at all, apart from when Usyk backed off in rounds 3-6 and even they could have been given to him. 

He's back to where he was when losing to Ruiz however is now faced with a technically better boxer who probably has his numnber. The rematch for me (in 6 months) is not enough time for him to make technical adjustments, so he has one route to go down which is the one that should have happened on Saturday - bulk up a bit, and try to bully Usyk in the rematch.

I agree with what you're saying, he still loses, but at least go out and try to win the fight rather than second guessing what the oponent is doing - he's not good enough to do it. 

1 hour ago, WatfordOwl said:

Not just people, but Joshua's team underestimating him.

Having beat Ruiz behind the jab, and was doing a similar number on Pulev until he realised that Pulev was hurt, maybe it was over confidence on his part to believe matching Usyk for skill was the way to go. 

Just did not impose himself on the fight at all, apart from when Usyk backed off in rounds 3-6 and even they could have been given to him. 

He's back to where he was when losing to Ruiz however is now faced with a technically better boxer who probably has his numnber. The rematch for me (in 6 months) is not enough time for him to make technical adjustments, so he has one route to go down which is the one that should have happened on Saturday - bulk up a bit, and try to bully Usyk in the rematch.

I agree with what you're saying, he still loses, but at least go out and try to win the fight rather than second guessing what the oponent is doing - he's not good enough to do it. 

If that was fury on Saturday night..do you think fury would have put him to bed early. 

7 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Spot on. Joshua is the most over hyped boxer this country has ever had. Yes he’s had a good career and some great paydays, but his popularity far outweighs his ability.

• Like 1