LLP's wife's operation update thread.

First of all, I know this is the wrong section but a few people seemed to take an interest when I mentioned this in the rain thread so I figured that people might want an update and a full explanation. Mods I will understand if you want to move it, but I can't see it doing any harm being on here for a couple of hours.

Long story short, she has just gone down for her operation. I'll post the full explanation below:

She has been in hospital since Tuesday. She has a long term medical condition known as endometriosis that she has suffered from for over a decade but only got diagnosed in 2012. Basically she has growths on many of her internal organs, including her bowel, ovaries and womb, that flare up in the presence of female hormones. She had an operation in August 2012 to burn off the worst of the growths and this allowed her to live pain free for about 10 months.

She has since gradually gone downhill again, with the growths coming back. After trying other treatments, it became obvious that she needed another surgery. Unfortunately the waiting lists are several months long. As of Tuesday she was still 6-8 weeks away from the op but the pain had become unbearable.

As a result she collapsed in agony on Tuesday. At first the doctors tried to fob her off with treatments that had already failed and told her to wait for her operation date. We fought this and finally convinced them that she had no quality of life left and needed the op as an emergency. They finally agreed and she has been on the emergency list since Thursday.

She finally went down for the operation about 20 minutes ago. It is major surgery and a big deal. But the word "emergency" makes it sound more dramatic than it probably is. She should be in for a couple of hours and shouldn't face any complications. She will then need a week of bed rest to recover.

So please all prey for a safe operation and a safe recovery. I'll let people know when she is out.

Edited by Leaping Lannys Perm

Best wishes to your other half for a speedy recovery LLP.  My ex-wife had this condition - to explain a little more it is when the womb lining grows outside the womb and affects other organs and I know from my ex-wife's experience it can be very distressing - she ended up having to undergo a full hysterectomy to resolve the problem.  Fortunately at the time I was in a job that included BUPA healthcare cover for both of us and she had it done privately within literally a few days of making the decision to have it done. 

Once again best wishes to your wife.  Hope it makes her quality of life much better.

Hey bud,

My wife suffers from the same condition. She has immense pain and a lot like your wife she has been "fobbed" off for months. The pain still comes every month and its unbearable for her, as it is for us seeing our wives in such pain.

I really hope your wife is ok and the op is a success. Hopefully we wont be waiting too long for her op.

All my best to you and your wife. 

Hey bud,

My wife suffers from the same condition. She has immense pain and a lot like your wife she has been "fobbed" off for months. The pain still comes every month and its unbearable for her, as it is for us seeing our wives in such pain.

I really hope your wife is ok and the op is a success. Hopefully we wont be waiting too long for her op.

All my best to you and your wife.

If she is only having monthly pains then there are a few other options you may want to consider. She could have a coil fitted and there is also an injection that can bring on early menopause. These both stop periods in over 70% of women, which in term can stop the monthly pains.

Unfortunately my wife's pains are every day. She has had both treatments and hasn't had a period in a year but it's not been enough for her.

Not meaning to make light of your wife's troubles by the way. Just hope for her sake that this advice might help if she is still at the monthly pain stage.