Reading v Owls

I live in Reading mate. I'm sure there's a supporters bus free of charge from the station but can't say if they allow away fans. Failing that a taxi will set you back around £10. Too far to walk - when compared to other away days that is.

The pub just outside the station is usually full of travelling fans.

There is a shuttle bus service (F1) from the bus station, which is a short walk from the train station. I think it's £5 return and hopefully very straightforward as that's what I'll be getting on.

Guest ReadingFan1871

Hi everyone, I can probably help...

The train station has a pub right outside which is for away fans - The Three Guineas.  The buses up to the ground are within sight of this pub, would recommend leaving the pub at about 220pm at the latest if getting a bus.

Buses

£4 return - easy to get up but coming back is slightly harder as generally unless you leave early you have to wait for the buses to come back from their first trip to get you.

Some pubs in Reading have private buses which go up and are easier because there is no queues, you just hop on after.  I can tell you more if you're interested but it's not that close to the train station.

Walking

Would not recommend that.  It's about 2 miles and isn't a nice walk, along a busy A road, would take about 40 minutes

Taxi

£10 up to the ground - recommended if there's a few of you.  The problem comes about how to get back to town though as our terrible ground location isn't near any pubs really.

Additionally

About 1000m from the ground is the Hilton  Hotel.  I've never been there but they welcome football fans, so I suppose you could get a taxi up to the ground, and then walk there after, stay for an hour and then order a taxi to take you back.

I think the best and most reliable however is to get a bus up and back.  Or second best is taxi up, and bus back (you'd have to pay unless you can sneak on!).

Buses

£4 return - easy to get up but coming back is slightly harder as generally unless you leave early you have to wait for the buses to come back from their first trip to get you.

Some pubs in Reading have private buses which go up and are easier because there is no queues, you just hop on after.  I can tell you more if you're interested but it's not that close to the train station.

Thanks Reading.

Interested to know more about the other buses too?

I'm staying down but at the other side of the station (Crowne Plaza, Caversham Bridge) so just keen on working out the quickest way to get back. Have debated driving to the ground then driving back to hotel but would prefer not to

The train station has a pub right outside which is for away fans - The Three Guineas.  The buses up to the ground are within sight of this pub, would recommend leaving the pub at about 220pm at the latest if getting a bus.

Buses

Walking

Would not recommend that.  It's about 2 miles and isn't a nice walk, along a busy A road, would take about 40 minutes

Taxi

£10 up to the ground - recommended if there's a few of you.  The problem comes about how to get back to town though as our terrible ground location isn't near any pubs really.

Additionally

About 1000m from the ground is the Hilton  Hotel.  I've never been there but they welcome football fans, so I suppose you could get a taxi up to the ground, and then walk there after, stay for an hour and then order a taxi to take you back.

I think the best and most reliable however is to get a bus up and back.  Or second best is taxi up, and bus back (you'd have to pay unless you can sneak on!).

Thanks for the info Reading, I'm actually stoping at the Hilton Hotel, can you recommend any where for Friday night, few drinks, some thing to eat ?

Guest ReadingFan1871

Thanks Reading.

Interested to know more about the other buses too?

I'm staying down but at the other side of the station (Crowne Plaza, Caversham Bridge) so just keen on working out the quickest way to get back. Have debated driving to the ground then driving back to hotel but would prefer not to

Hi Senwar,

I think it'll be easiest to walk from the hotel to the train station pub (Three Guineas).  This walk is probably 10 minutes max - just down one road really.  

The bus you get up to the ground will take you back to the train station area, and then you can just walk the 10 minutes back to your hotel

Hope that helps!

Guest ReadingFan1871

Thanks for the info Reading, I'm actually stoping at the Hilton Hotel, can you recommend any where for Friday night, few drinks, some thing to eat ?

Hi Kev,

Hilton Hotel is a good location as it's just a short journey to town - like 5 minutes in a taxi.

Food

All the usual places in Reading firstly - Pizza Hut, Express, ASK Italian, Jaimie's Italian restaurant, Nandos, etc...

It depends if you want just something quick, easy and to get on with having a few drinks, or you want a better sit down meal.

I'd recommend Browns Restaurant - which is in The Oracle (big shopping centre place).  Also in that area are several bars - Slug and Lettuce, All Bar One.  There are other places to eat there like Wagamams, Giraffe, I think there's a steak house too.  

Drinks

Again all the usual places firstly -

The Oracle - as above - the bars around that area are a bit more upmarket and "fancy" so you'll pay a bit more but they are nice

Friar Street - Few Weatherspoons, Yates, Walkabout, O'Neills, PItcher and Piano, A place that does comedy but also drinks and a nightclub built in.

There's a place called "The Purple Turtle" which is on Gun Street (just near the Oracle) which is quite popular as it's open till 4am or even later. It's fairly decent in there, a bit grungey but still OK and has live music sometimes.  Also near that is a Cocktail bar and a place called Zero Degrees which does food and also beer which is actually brewed inside.  Haven't been in there in ages but I know it's still open.

Sorry for just giving a list of places, but it depends on what sort of night you want.  But I'd recommend Browns for food as they do decent quality stuff and is really nice for drinks too.  

Hi Kev,

Hilton Hotel is a good location as it's just a short journey to town - like 5 minutes in a taxi.

Food

All the usual places in Reading firstly - Pizza Hut, Express, ASK Italian, Jaimie's Italian restaurant, Nandos, etc...

It depends if you want just something quick, easy and to get on with having a few drinks, or you want a better sit down meal.

I'd recommend Browns Restaurant - which is in The Oracle (big shopping centre place).  Also in that area are several bars - Slug and Lettuce, All Bar One.  There are other places to eat there like Wagamams, Giraffe, I think there's a steak house too.  

Drinks

Again all the usual places firstly -

The Oracle - as above - the bars around that area are a bit more upmarket and "fancy" so you'll pay a bit more but they are nice

Friar Street - Few Weatherspoons, Yates, Walkabout, O'Neills, PItcher and Piano, A place that does comedy but also drinks and a nightclub built in.

There's a place called "The Purple Turtle" which is on Gun Street (just near the Oracle) which is quite popular as it's open till 4am or even later. It's fairly decent in there, a bit grungey but still OK and has live music sometimes.  Also near that is a Cocktail bar and a place called Zero Degrees which does food and also beer which is actually brewed inside.  Haven't been in there in ages but I know it's still open.

Sorry for just giving a list of places, but it depends on what sort of night you want.  But I'd recommend Browns for food as they do decent quality stuff and is really nice for drinks too.

thanks for all the imformation Reading, it's my lads 18th on Friday and Browns sounds exactly what we are looking for, together with the surrounding bars in the oracle. Thanks again Reading.