Football Specials (Your Memories)

Used to love it when clubs brought specials to Hillsborough, they used to use Wadsley bridge

train station, was fun waiting with the welcoming committee outside Gate & Travellers, never saw

much trouble but the abuse they got was frightening.

I can remember when Rotherham ran one, it was game we beat them 5-0.

Living in Rotherham all I heard all week was that they were bringing thousands and loads were coming on football special.

2 o'clock stood outside gate and their was less than a hundred got off it. lol

third division away at ewood park, very, very big game...

if we lost it, we'd struggle to go up...

we'd gone in't car, maybe 15min before the ko, i turned to my mate and said "i thought we'd bring more than this"...

the words hadn't been out 10 seconds when a great hoard swept around the corner of the stand like a tsunami...

"SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAYS BACK IN TOWN AGAIN"...

said to my mate "looks like the special left it late"...

you could hardly shift in the stand, right sweat on (guess around feb/march time)...

GREAT NIGHT, GREAT PERFORMANCE, GREAT RESULT....

and then "DIVISION 2 IS CALLING YOU SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY" on the way out...

Before Steve Woodhead started Inter City Owl trains in 79-80 season British rail put football specials on.

First one I ever went on was to Preston in early 70s, was some right nutters on it, I remember coppers getting on at Blackburn on way back looking for some Wednesday fans that had been causing trouble in Preston.

I always thought it was Denis Woodhead (an old player from the 50's) who was in charge.  Have I been deluded all these years?

Denis replaced Derek Dooley in the office when Dooley became team manager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Woodhead

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Too young to have gone on these but from the stuff being posted I reckon i'd have loved it.

Nowt beats an away day on't train.

Leaving Newcastle station in our first season in the old 2nd div after promotion with Big Jack...they bricked the train and all our carriage windows came in hehe...nobody hurt.

Also remember the police giving us a hard time in Pond street after returning from the Oldham 'riot'.

Portsmouth game was the first one that came to mind for me too. It was definitely 1-0 and Megson scored a screamer from about 30 yards out.

The best part about moving us to the home end, other than finally getting out of the pouring rain, was that the Wednesday players were just coming out of the dressing room and getting on the team bus as we came around the corner. Poor rumbleers got mobbed. :biggrin:

I always thought it was Denis Woodhead (an old player from the 50's) who was in charge. Have I been deluded all these years?

Denis replaced Derek Dooley in the office when Dooley became team manager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Woodhead

I remember Dennis but I don't think he had anything to do with Inter City Owl.

Steve ran it for years before club eventually ran it then I think Steve had something to do with organization of academy.

Didn't British Rail ban us from using the Inter City Owl specials?

All we did was charter trains off British rail making no profit.

We had our own stewards running it, "anyone remember Cat Weasel? Beer was allowed on for first few trips but eventually got banned which put one or two off.

Tyto Alba

23 Jan 2014

Leaving Newcastle station in our first season in the old 2nd div after promotion with Big Jack...they bricked the train and all our carriage windows came in hehe...nobody hurt.

Also remember the police giving us a hard time in Pond street after returning from the Oldham 'riot'.

I also remember coming back from Newcastle on that train, if my memory serves me right the police were on the train telling everyone to pull the window blinds down as we left Newcastle so they wouldn't know it was full of Wednesdayites, didn't stop the train getting bricked though

Portsmouth game was the first one that came to mind for me too. It was definitely 1-0 and Megson scored a screamer from about 30 yards out.

The best part about moving us to the home end, other than finally getting out of the pouring rain, was that the Wednesday players were just coming out of the dressing room and getting on the team bus as we came around the corner. Poor rumbleers got mobbed. :biggrin:

I think we got a rebate from the Club for our pains too

Coming back from, I think Mansfield, after a very depressing 3-0 defeat. Having been bricked while standing outside a pub before the match, I remember thinking what knobs some of our fans are as I watched some moron ripping the blinds down from the windows (they were proper fabric blinds in those days) and chucking them out of the window.

Coming back from, I think Mansfield, after a very depressing 3-0 defeat. Having been bricked while standing outside a pub before the match, I remember thinking what knobs some of our fans are as I watched some moron ripping the blinds down from the windows (they were proper fabric blinds in those days) and chucking them out of the window.

What was it with football fans back then? Mindless vandalism was commonplace. Trashing trains. Running mob handed through shopping precincts smashing windows.. Destroying pub furniture etc.

went on only one.  Euston to Birmingham to the Palace 2nd replay at Villa Park  for the Brian Joicey hat trick.  Had to pretend to be glum all the way back to Euston.  Have to say it was much better than going on the bus, only did that once , Leeds replay late sixties  the Brian Woodall match.  We came back down the motorway without a single window in the bus after Leeds yobs gave us a bricking as a send off. But yelling easy easy easy made it worth it.

Best one I recall was the one to Chelsea in the early '80s.

Battling with the Head Hunters on the Tube platform at Chelsea then again when we got off the Tube.

Chasing them through the streets to St Pancrass, then scattering them in the station with half of London's firms represented to see it

Not that I condone those things nowadays etc.

one of my most vivid memories of travelling on the Inter City Owl train. Never into the violence, but wss buzzing after chasing them off the platform then getting bombared with tables from a kiosk they wrecked and threw from the bridge above the platform. Then it carried on in the train station. Still gives me goosebumps.

Best one I recall was the one to Chelsea in the early '80s.

Battling with the Head Hunters on the Tube platform at Chelsea then again when we got off the Tube.

Chasing them through the streets to St Pancrass, then scattering them in the station with half of London's firms represented to see it

Not that I condone those things nowadays etc.

thommo

One memory sticks out, Carlisle away FA cup 3rd round I think, circa 78/79/80 can't remember which year.

It was flipping freezing and we lost 3-0 I think, and couldn't wait to get back on the train.

Walking back to station in splintered groups when Carlisles mob appear on the other side of the road.

Then the p iss take chant went up from us "we are frightened"...to which they did nothing.

We were all to cold to be concerned.

Great scenery though on the train...

I was at that game bloody freezing !!!

The trains used to get wrecked all over the country, which is probably why they stopped running them. Was always a fantastic atmosphere on them. It made you feel like an invading, all conquering army when you got there. Mad times indeed

Before Steve Woodhead started Inter City Owl trains in 79-80 season British rail put football specials on.

First one I ever went on was to Preston in early 70s, was some right nutters on it, I remember coppers getting on at Blackburn on way back looking for some Wednesday fans that had been causing trouble in Preston.

Was that the one when we drew 1-1 ? Peter eustace scored from a penalty