Tips for Rochdale away

Unfortunately I had the pleasure of growing up in Rochdale, originally from High Green but was relocated in my early life.

Just a few tips for any people picking up a new ground, or for the people who have been before but never returned until next Saturday.

The train station in Rochdale, is not close to Spotland at all, its a good 45 minute walk, down drake street, into the centre and then over the hill. But fortunately in the last 6 months the tram system is now in full operation. So if you get to Rochdale train station, jump on the tram that takes you directly into the centre of town, where there are a number of bars, i.e ( spoons, yates and a couple of real ale pubs)

If you are going via Manchester Victoria/Piccadilly the tram service from there now also links up with Rochdale, so tram or train is now available.

Also if you are looking for food in Rochdale and you are thinking, there must be a mcdonalds in the town for a quick burger - you are mistaken, there is no Mcdonalds in Rochdale town centre.

If any of you are driving, and coming down the M62, take my advice and get off at Milnrow/Shaw (21) - take your first left as you get on the round about, and you will cut out a hell of a lot of traffic at the Rochdale/Oldham (20) junction. Parking wise there is a lot of street parking if you get there early enough. If you are stuggling to park around the ground, the bus station car park is £1 for the day on Saturdays, and closes at 7pm so well enough time to get back to your car.

Please becareful on your travels, Rochdale is a sh*t hole and you will want to go home.

If you need any more advice about Rochdale, the safe places to go then send me a message or comment below and I will get back to you.

MAPS.pdf

Guest intercity0wl

Littleborough... Yourself??

I take it you may know my bodyguard on my visits to the drinking establishments of Littleborough, a certain guy who goes by the name of Twinny ( Andrew)

Edited by intercity0wl

Guest jackcarter1

Unfortunately I had the pleasure of growing up in Rochdale, originally from High Green but was relocated in my early life.

Just a few tips for any people picking up a new ground, or for the people who have been before but never returned until next Saturday.

The train station in Rochdale, is not close to Spotland at all, its a good 45 minute walk, down drake street, into the centre and then over the hill. But fortunately in the last 6 months the tram system is now in full operation. So if you get to Rochdale train station, jump on the tram that takes you directly into the centre of town, where there are a number of bars, i.e ( spoons, yates and a couple of real ale pubs)

If you are going via Manchester Victoria/Piccadilly the tram service from there now also links up with Rochdale, so tram or train is now available.

Also if you are looking for food in Rochdale and you are thinking, there must be a mcdonalds in the town for a quick burger - you are mistaken, there is no Mcdonalds in Rochdale town centre.

If any of you are driving, and coming down the M62, take my advice and get off at Milnrow/Shaw (21) - take your first left as you get on the round about, and you will cut out a hell of a lot of traffic at the Rochdale/Oldham (20) junction. Parking wise there is a lot of street parking if you get there early enough. If you are stuggling to park around the ground, the bus station car park is £1 for the day on Saturdays, and closes at 7pm so well enough time to get back to your car.

Please becareful on your travels, Rochdale is a sh*t hole and you will want to go home.

If you need any more advice about Rochdale, the safe places to go then send me a message or comment below and I will get back to you.

Adam - what's the best way to get to the ground from the station? Went there last time we played Rochdale in League 1 and remember it being a bit of a treck back to the station after the match. Also any away boozers near the ground or best of in town centre?  

Adam - what's the best way to get to the ground from the station? Went there last time we played Rochdale in League 1 and remember it being a bit of a treck back to the station after the match. Also any away boozers near the ground or best of in town centre?  

Jack - I would say get the tram into the centre then do a pub crawl up to the ground. But seeing as the tram seems to be down on the day of the game. If there are a few of you just jump in a taxi down to the centre only be a couple of quid and there are numerous of bars in the centre. Wouldnt worry about a away pub, rochdale have abysmal support. Cant go wrong with the spoons - the regal moon. Massive pub!!! Not too far of a walk down into the centre, much easier now that you can just follow the tram line down, rather than risk getting lost behind the asian back streets of Rochdale. 

Guest jackcarter1

Jack - I would say get the tram into the centre then do a pub crawl up to the ground. But seeing as the tram seems to be down on the day of the game. If there are a few of you just jump in a taxi down to the centre only be a couple of quid and there are numerous of bars in the centre. Wouldnt worry about a away pub, rochdale have abysmal support. Cant go wrong with the spoons - the regal moon. Massive pub!!! Not too far of a walk down into the centre, much easier now that you can just follow the tram line down, rather than risk getting lost behind the asian back streets of Rochdale. 

Ta mate, dragging an Arsenal fan along with me. He can soak up some "proper"/sub-standard football

Hey, Been researching options about getting to the ground and came across this site

http://www.tothe92.co.uk/groundguide/rochdale.html

Has anyone used this "Bus Service" serving the ground in previous years... Maybe Adam you will know something about it?

Thanks

I've never heard of this. Could be something to look into though if you are desperate.

the cemetry is the grotty one i wer thinkin off,carry on past that on the main rd goin away from the ground area and its two minit drive and its on the right,anyhow now i know its the cemetry il just head to there then il have got mi bearings,cheers

Have you got minibus running for this one or going in cars, 5 of us going by car trying to decide where to have a wet.

Littleborough... Yourself??

Norden mate. Got a friend who lives up your way on Ashwood Drive.

I take it you may know my bodyguard on my visits to the drinking establishments of Littleborough, a certain guy who goes by the name of Twinny ( Andrew)

How old is this twinny? Name rings a bell.

Guest intercity0wl

Norden mate. Got a friend who lives up your way on Ashwood Drive.

How old is this twinny? Name rings a bell.

Would imagine in his 40s, i will check, surname is Reed, there are two of them (not surprising with the name) Both Mountains of Men, who everybody in the pubs of Littleborough know.