Helan's chance

I wonder if he's one of the players that the departed Mr Jones referred to when he said they were scared of playing at Hillsborough.

I'd have thought the lad would relish playing there geed up to perform well by the collective groan as soon as he touches the ball.

No, he's rubbish away from home as well.

Helan is a left back all day long. It was only Jones the Clown that moved him to left midfield.

That said an inter changeable left hand side of Reda and Helan may prove to be decent as it was at times last season.

As long as Mattock doesn't feature down the left or anywhere in the team!

Sheffield_dave, on which world is Mattock (I presume he is one of the left backs you refer to) worlds apart from Helan?? Seriously.

Even against a non league side last night he looked dreadful in the 2nd half. Gave a penalty away, was skinned by their number 7, gave free kicks away and should little desire to get up and down the line and when he did manage to get in any decent position invariably his cross was poor.

I think before looking at any of Helans short comings we should address shipping Mattock out asap.

Mattock is technically better then both Reda and Helen - deserves a run out at left back to be honest

Technically better? By that you mean his control and passing.

That is debatable. Reda and Helan are quicker, better in the air, get up and down the line much better (requirement for modern day full back), show more desire, work harder, are stronger and score more goals as a bonus. More importantly and this is the main issue, are both more affective.

One thing is for sure we wouldn't have been 2-0 at half time v Leeds had Mattock played instead of Reda.

Technically better? By that you mean his control and passing.

That is debatable. Reda and Helan are quicker, better in the air, get up and down the line much better (requirement for modern day full back), show more desire, work harder, are stronger and score more goals as a bonus. More importantly and this is the main issue, are both more affective.

One thing is for sure we wouldn't have been 2-0 at half time v Leeds had Mattock played instead of Reda.

We probably wouldn't have been 2-0 against Leeds had Helan played either.  You're right Reda is a lot more effective than Mattock, but Helan simply is not and that is his problem, he is completely ineffective, he offers absolutely nothing to the team and the game just happens around him.

Reda is not as good a footballer ( technically ) as Mattock but he offers a lot more in all areas of the pitch, so would always get the nod for me, I actually think defensively he's been improving quite a bit lately aswell, hopefully not absent for too long.

Edited by Lee A

We probably wouldn't have been 2-0 against Leeds had Helan played either.  You're right Reda is a lot more effective than Mattock, but Helan simply is not and that is his problem, he is completely ineffective, he offers absolutely nothing to the team and the game just happens around him.

Reda is not as good a footballer ( technically ) as Mattock but he offers a lot more in all areas of the pitch, so would always get the nod for me, I actually think defensively he's been improving quite a bit lately aswell, hopefully not absent for too long.

Yeah that's pretty much it. With the players available it has to be Reda every time, warts and all!

Not a massive Helan fan and can understand why some fans really don't like him. I just think he's young enough and has enough attributes to make a decent player in the future. Cant say the same re Mattock.

Not a massive Helan fan and can understand why some fans really don't like him. I just think he's young enough and has enough attributes to make a decent player in the future. Cant say the same re Mattock.

Disagree although not entirely

I think Mattock has had a few injuries in his career which has held him back, that's not his fault but I think what might be his fault is his attitude and willingness to work hard and keep himself fit, which can lead to more of those niggling little injuries, in terms of his natural talent I think there's a player there, his little run and that perfect cross he swung in last night proved that.

Helan however seems to have good application and attitude, he's also a great natural athlete, but as a footballer ( both with the ball at his feet and his understanding of the game, where to stand, where to run etc ) he's such a long way behind everybody else that I just can't see it ever happening, certainly not at this level but maybe in the lower leagues.

Shame really, would love to give somebody like Mattock's control and natural ability on the ball to a kid like Helan with his athleticism, then you'd have a player on your hands

Edited by Lee A

Guest wilyfox

I reckon Helan will be back on the bench against Burnley. Maybe Gray gave him the Macclesfield games to try and rediscover some form - but it hasn't worked. He needs to come back out.

No doubt he'll be back on the bench.

Barely featured under Gray really, rightly so of course because we have much better players available, but he's been given 2 games against a conference side and looked worse than some of their players.

For both the player and the club, a loan move would be a good idea, can't see it happening if Reda's got a knock though

Guest wilyfox

He's a slightly better edition of Daniel Jones. Unfortunately he couldn't tie down LB or LM either and wasn't quite good enough for either!

I'd say Daniel Jones was a better crosser as well.

Like Antonio, better when on loan. They were given permanent contracts and are now dogger. I'd get rid of both if we could get a bit of a fee.

Cut the crap, Antonio is streets ahead of Helan even out of form. Hell, even carrying an injury Antonio probably poses more of a threat than Helan.

Sheffield_dave, on which world is Mattock (I presume he is one of the left backs you refer to) worlds apart from Helan?? Seriously.

This one.

Mattock has played and proven himself as a stable Championship player. I'm not even his biggest fan in the world, but I'm reasonably happy to have him in the team when Reda isn't available. He's done that and done a job doing it as recently as this season.

Between Reda and Mattock, I'm fairly satisfied with our options at left back and would put it quite far down our list of priorities to make changes.

Helen sure as sh*t isn't a left winger but I'm absolutely baffled how anyone can watch him and think he'd make a good left back either. When and why have you seen enough of him there to say he's a suitable left back, or advocate playing him there ahead of Mattock?

Have never been impressed with him. 

A nice goal against Charlton seems to have been his only contribution, oh and running a bit fast. 

He's miles behind Magahoma, JJ and Antonio who, for all their flaws, are capable of occasional moments of brilliance and similarly I wouldn't want him anywhere near the left back position. 

A poor, poor excuse for a footballer who's only asset is he's a bit fast. 

I honestly don't know what he contributes to the team.

When we are counter attacking he's no where to be seen despite all his pace.

He's meant to be a winger but always stands 15 yards inside, especially when we are playing from the back so never an option out wide.

Can't cross, cant pass and doesn't seem to have any awareness.

Him and Reda are a weak link on the left. They can't play together!