Leon Clarke anyone?

Guest Sheff Owl

Guest intercity0wl

b-royd should never be mentioned here again, a complete t^osser.

And neither should Leon. why o why do some folk look backwards to when times were dire, and then want to bring (pardon the pun) a BIG parts of it back.

Thread after thead, post after post about how this side needs some real quality to compete at this level, and then the idea of signing for the second time a  player who did not cut it here before is raised. for f**k sake peeps start to look forwards.

Edited by intercity0wl

I know I'm in the minority but I'd have him back. Never thought we should have let him go and he's a better player now. Best natural finisher we've had permanently since Premiership days. I don't even think he was that lazy by the end of it - he got a bad reputation (deservedly) in his first season or so but he was a typical goalscoring target man - it wasn't his job to chase down every ball within 30 yards.

I know he's got attitude problems but as long as he's not a disruptive influence on the rest of the squad (and didn't seem to be last time he was here) then I'd not say it matters.

Obviously there's plenty more I'd prefer but not many that'd be so cheap/realistic.

Guest Sheff Owl

OFFICIAL

Sky Blues striker has handed in a formal transfer request to the club this morning

Coventry City striker Leon Clarke has handed in a formal transfer request. 

Clarke, who has scored 18 goals this season on the back of the 10 he fired for City in the second half of the 2012/13 campaign, still has 18 months left to run on his deal with the club.

Development director Steve Waggott said: “I have this morning received a formal transfer request from Leon Clarke. There had been indications over the weekend that this would happen but I was only formally notified this morning after he arrived at the training ground.

“Of course, it’s deeply disappointing when a player expresses a desire to leave the club in this way – especially when he has become such a firm favourite with supporters because of performances over the past 12 months.

“That said, when he still has a year-and-a-half left on his contract we are in a position where we will only let him leave if the deal is right for Coventry City Football Club.

“That means securing the kind of deal that will allow Steven Pressley to strengthen his squad should Leon go.”

Clarke, 28, signed permanently from Charlton for the Sky Blues in January 2013 after a short loan spell. 

The guy can score goals - certainly at league 1 - and maybe he has earned another chance at the championship

It's a shame he doesn't just knuckle down and consolidate his career at Coventry rather than hand in a transfer request

He always seems to be on the edge of another set back of his own making

An oaf.

Only a career in the lower ends of the football league kept him from working in Kebab shop as the one who puts the flat pack cartons together.

He has scored some goals yes. Mainly the type that don't give him too much thinking time.

Leon and thinking is  combination rarely used to good effect.

Edited by Lord Snooty

Guest Sheff Owl

Sky bet have linked Leon Clarke to his previous clubs.. saying Wolves - Favourites but they face competition from Sheff Wed (5/2) and Swindon (4/1)  :biggrin:  :ph34r:

He looks like a changed man. Slimmer, quicker, more confident. 23 goals in 33 games is some record for Coventry, and that's in a team not exactly having the best of times.

Would he be worth the gamble though? Anyone else with that goals ratio over last 2 years and we'd be clamouring or mandaric to buy him. It's a tough one.

He is a championship standard striker who has found himself playing at a level beneath his ability because of previous issues attributable to attitude.

I always rated him, even when he was enemy number 1 on here.

He has a certain class about him that stands out. Now he is lean and mean and has applied himself, there is no reason he can't be a very effective striker at this level.