Reserve League ?

Been listening to a lot of talk on the national radio stations of late about the state of English football, mainly the failure of the national side and the lack of English players coming through.

There's been many reason mooted as the cause. But in recent weeks one thing that keeps popping up and being raised by ex players and manager is the lack of a full reserve League. Quite a few have suggested that they felt that there was still a place for it and that other than players going out on loan the Dev. League means that young players are only playing against other players of similar age and experience and that they felt something could be gained from playing against more experienced pros who aren't currently in the first team in a proper reserves League again.

I remember watching the reserves regularly at one time and enjoyed it. Though I felt that at times there were a lot of players just going through the motions so as not to get injured in case of potential first team call ups being jeopardised.  

What's other peoples thoughts on this ?

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Ah fair enough. I understood that like the Olympic football there was only a couple allowed. Which is better than nothing , but as we've all noticed over the last week or so. There does seem to have been some lack of match practise clearly showing in some of the lads that Gray has recalled to the squad and just wondered if playing more regular might have been something they would have benefitted from.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

obviously would be of a benefit to players to be playing regular games against better opposition as it pays dividends in keeping players on there toes , but the powers that be have other ideas , which in all essence I don't agree with,

So I think you have a viable point DEH, mate

Ah fair enough. I understood that like the Olympic football there was only a couple allowed. Which is better than nothing , but as we've all noticed over the last week or so. There does seem to have been some lack of match practise clearly showing in some of the lads that Gray has recalled to the squad and just wondered if playing more regular might have been something they would have benefitted from.

they play friendly fixtures almost weekly if the manager feels players need game time and there's no development game they just arrange a game

Friendly games are a complete and utter waste of time IMO.

Yes. I can see the need for 'friendlies' in pre-season, but the issue of match fitness is the question. All professional footballers should be 'match fit' through training. The big question is not are they match fit but have they got the competitive edge needed. 

good point Bladeshater But to my mind , wouldn't it be better to have something to play for rather than friendlies , where you have to be sharp and compete for the points ,surely that would be a better scenario and give the coaches a better idea of the players capabilities and keep their match fitness up ,

friendlies are just that , sometimes it dosent motivate the players and they tend to go through the motions whereas if points were at stake then they would /should up their performance  and compete better, Giving a truer more informative idea to the coaches of what the players can do in a competitive situation ,

Edited by trevdi9

Guest NottinghamshireOwl

Reserve teams shouldn't be in domestic leagues, that's my point.

For example, Barcelona and Real Madrid have their reserve teams in the second division in Spain. It's not right.

The Spanish lower leagues are much less competitive than the English though. I think for them their 'B' Team system is a good idea - it lets their players get competitive game time whilst retaining complete control over them, rather than loaning them out to clubs with less expertise in developing young players.

It wouldn't work in England, however, as the Championship would just be swamped with Premier League reserve teams.

The Spanish lower leagues are much less competitive than the English though. I think for them their 'B' Team system is a good idea - it lets their players get competitive game time whilst retaining complete control over them, rather than loaning them out to clubs with less expertise in developing young players.

It wouldn't work in England, however, as the Championship would just be swamped with Premier League reserve teams.

Not denying that at all. It's great for the fringe players to get games. Spain, and other countries for that matter, have a certain way of implementing teams in leagues.

Agreed with it not being used in this country. Reserves should have their own leagues to compete in.

The trouble with entering into a reserve league is you have to play games regularly. You can understand why clubs are a bit reluctant to enter into them, and prefer to just arrange behind closed doors friendlies. Obviously with a reserve league it is a bit more competitive, which will help the players development and return from injury no doubt.

However, what about if you have a large injury list, you are having to field a team, with fringe players and youngsters. The fringe players may go into the games slightly reluctant to go full blooded, not wanting to risk injury in case they get called up to the first team.

Arranging behind closed doors friendlies will still give the players what they need, game time, and a chance to impress the manager and force their way into his plans. If the club is struggling with injuries, they can easily not arrange a friendly, and are not forced into a game...

used to be a progression youth football into the 42 game central league side then 1st team if good enough.arguably our best side(60-61) since the 30s contained 8 of the 11 regulars who came thru that system.later on in late 70s early 80s players like mark smith ,mel sterland .peter shirtliff, ticker taylor and many more came thru the same system .the system worked this academy / development squad doesn't seem to be producing quite the same calibre of player.

spot on torry mate ,friendlies are neither here nor there ,it's designed to give players a run out nothing more ,whereas competing in a reserve league would give a truer picture of the players skills tenacity and fitness ,I hated playing in friendlies and so I would presume did many more ,there is nothing to give you the vibes and feeling of winning a game where points are at stake ,and as I said before many just go through the motions because they fail to get motivated playing a friendly

used to be a progression youth football into the 42 game central league side then 1st team if good enough.arguably our best side(60-61) since the 30s contained 8 of the 11 regulars who came thru that system.later on in late 70s early 80s players like mark smith ,mel sterland .peter shirtliff, ticker taylor and many more came thru the same system .the system worked this academy / development squad doesn't seem to be producing quite the same calibre of player.

for years the academy was mothballed megson and Jones put input in to make it affective again

its a no brainer trev a mix of out of favour senior players and good youngsters playin against the likes of Manchester united and Liverpool reserves in a competative league or senior player turning out with a bunch of kids and triallists on the training ground for a friendly against rovrums kids.

Reserve teams shouldn't be in domestic leagues, that's my point.

For example, Barcelona and Real Madrid have their reserve teams in the second division in Spain. It's not right.

They can't win promotion either. (Because the B teams are not allowed to play against the first team in a league game).

its a no brainer trev a mix of out of favour senior players and good youngsters playin against the likes of Manchester united and Liverpool reserves in a competative league or senior player turning out with a bunch of kids and triallists on the training ground for a friendly against rovrums kids.

Man U/Liverpool/Chelsea etc reserves would be their kids anyway - you really think their 1st team squad players would play regular reserve football?

There is now the u21 league - who will make up the squads for these additional games?