Challenge to Ian Holloway

Which actually shows how little you know about Cantona, because he was always destined for Leeds. He was actually in Josephines with at least three Leeds players on the night he played in that seven a side for us at the Arena. He was always Leeds bound. As for gates, the number of people who attend games doesn't determine the size of the club, which is something else you fail to realise. We probably get bigger gates than a couple of Premiership teams, but we're in the Championship and they are in the Premiership, and that makes them bigger clubs than us.

What you also haven't realised how fickle our fans are. How many "true" Wednesdayites went to the Millenium, 42000? we got promoted and then sold less than 15,00 season tickets. We had a full house for the Wycombe game, and although we got promoted, our gates were relatively poor the next season. The average fan of our very average club is like most other football fans, they go when the team is doing well, and then don't bother when the team isn't doing so well. We're apparently "MASSIVE", Just look back on this forum to earlier this week and see how many of our "loyal" fans weren't bothering on Tuesday night. As far as I'm concerned Wednesday are the only club, and are the best club in the world, but they aint a big club, and haven't been for donkeys years. We've spent seventeen of the past fifty seasons in the top flight. That doesn't make us anything other than a run of the mill club.

Take out our glory years of the 1920s and 1930s and the pickings are thin indeed.

Which actually shows how little you know about Cantona, because he was always destined for Leeds. He was actually in Josephines with at least three Leeds players on the night he played in that seven a side for us at the Arena. He was always Leeds bound. As for gates, the number of people who attend games doesn't determine the size of the club, which is something else you fail to realise. We probably get bigger gates than a couple of Premiership teams, but we're in the Championship and they are in the Premiership, and that makes them bigger clubs than us.

What you also haven't realised how fickle our fans are. How many "true" Wednesdayites went to the Millenium, 42000? we got promoted and then sold less than 15,00 season tickets. We had a full house for the Wycombe game, and although we got promoted, our gates were relatively poor the next season. The average fan of our very average club is like most other football fans, they go when the team is doing well, and then don't bother when the team isn't doing so well. We're apparently "MASSIVE", Just look back on this forum to earlier this week and see how many of our "loyal" fans weren't bothering on Tuesday night. As far as I'm concerned Wednesday are the only club, and are the best club in the world, but they aint a big club, and haven't been for donkeys years. We've spent seventeen of the past fifty seasons in the top flight. That doesn't make us anything other than a run of the mill club.

THIS!

What you also haven't realised how fickle our fans are. How many "true" Wednesdayites went to the Millenium, 42000? we got promoted and then sold less than 15,00 season tickets. We had a full house for the Wycombe game, and although we got promoted, our gates were relatively poor the next season. The average fan of our very average club is like most other football fans, they go when the team is doing well, and then don't bother when the team isn't doing so well. We're apparently "MASSIVE", Just look back on this forum to earlier this week and see how many of our "loyal" fans weren't bothering on Tuesday night. As far as I'm concerned Wednesday are the only club, and are the best club in the world, but they aint a big club, and haven't been for donkeys years. We've spent seventeen of the past fifty seasons in the top flight. That doesn't make us anything other than a run of the mill club.

It's common knowledge that Francis spurned the opportunity to take Cantona on board because he never got the chance to see him play on grass, Francis himself has never refuted this allegation, it's the version of events that i choose to believe rather than some stupid story that a recently arrived Cantona who at the time spoke no English decided to go on the lash in Sheffield with three blokes who spoke a different language and he'd probably never even met before to Josephines of all places.

Our current gates only illustrate the huge potential at Sheffield 6, if we were in the premiership we would be mid table in the attendances tables, Holloway's arrival at Blackpool saw there gates almost double your not telling me that the same wouldn't happen here. Your apathetic attitude is sadly typical of a lot of Wednesdayites who quickly become negative as soon as the chips are down, one season can make a hell of a difference to the political and economic stability of any club, there is big appetite in Sheffield for footballing success that cities of a similar size would love to have, i live and work in Bristol and football fervor here is nothing like it is in Sheffield.   

Take out our glory years of the 1920s and 1930s and the pickings are thin indeed.

I disagree.....to a point,

We might not actually be MASSIVE. but the gates we get after being poo for such a long time is extremely impressive.

I doubt there's more than a (big) handful of existing Prem teams who would out perform us attendance wise under similiar circumstances,

Edited by Weshallovercome

Forget about holloway, it's not gonna happen. He failed big time at Leicester, under mm. We don't have pots of cash.

We arnt a big club, but bigger than most. The swfc job is the biggest possum chalice out there.

If anyone did get it right. Whoa! Hold on to your hats.

Which if anything is the only attraction.

In the event that Holloway is approached with a view to taking the reins at S6 i would ask him to consider the fact that he has never truly proved himself at a big club with a big fanbase. Managing Sheffield Wednesday would undoubtedly be the most prestigious position he has ever held, do a good job at Hillsborough and the next job beckoning could be the England job.

If Mr Holloway has any ambition to truly prove himself at a big club now is the time to grasp the nettle, pin your colours to the mast Ian and tell Milan you want to become a Sheffield legend and apply for one of the best jobs in football, leading the Owls to the promised land!!

:excl::excl::cool:

on reading the rest of your comments on this thread. 1 of 2 things are apparent to me

1. You're a child

2. You're not allowed out in public without a qualified carer.

on reading the rest of your comments on this thread. 1 of 2 things are apparent to me

1. You're a child

2. You're not allowed out in public without a qualified carer.

I stand by everything i said, Howard Wilkinson took over the Wednesday job when we were in this division and in 1990 he was in the running for the England job albeit whilst at Leeds, he eventually lost out to Graham Taylor. Your user name certainly suggests your a child or at best a very immature adult :-)

In fact, take the glory years of the nineties, twenties and thirties and you have exactly most of the football league - won flip all.

Please bench mark against all teams not man ure - officially the thirteenth most successful club in England.

Edited by owlsup

Man U are a stellar club. How loyal do you think a lot of their fans are? Most havent even been to Manchester.Every big club in the world has fair weather supporters and fans who go to the odd game. It's just that the truly huge clubs have so many of them they are always full.

Wednesday can be shot down over many things in this argument but I don't think the support is one of them given the last 15 years

In the event that Holloway is approached with a view to taking the reins at S6 i would ask him to consider the fact that he has never truly proved himself at a big club with a big fanbase. Managing Sheffield Wednesday would undoubtedly be the most prestigious position he has ever held, do a good job at Hillsborough and the next job beckoning could be the England job.

If Mr Holloway has any ambition to truly prove himself at a big club now is the time to grasp the nettle, pin your colours to the mast Ian and tell Milan you want to become a Sheffield legend and apply for one of the best jobs in football, leading the Owls to the promised land!!

:excl:  :excl:  :cool: 

Wow, I can't believe sane human beings actually believe this.

In fact, take the glory years of the nineties, twenties and thirties and you have exactly most of the football league - won flip all.

Please bench mark against all teams not man ure - officially the thirteenth most successful club in England.

We have won a single major trophy in the last 78 years. That puts us right up there with the likes of Luton, Oxford, Wimbledon, Swindon, Preston, Wigan, Charlton, Blackpool and Burnley.

Guest JonTheOwl66

We have won a single major trophy in the last 78 years. That puts us right up there with the likes of Luton, Oxford, Wimbledon, Swindon, Preston, Wigan, Charlton, Blackpool and Burnley.

We're still a massive club though! One of the best in England!

We're still a MASSIVE club though! One of the best in England!

We are still a big club obviously, but not in the same way we were in the 1960s or 1990s. And the way football has 'evolved' since then means the chances of ever getting back to that kind of status are ever more slim.

Taking successful parts out of our history, or focusing on the dark sides of our history, don't give a full story - just suits (and flaws) your arguments I'm afraid.

We have won just one major trophy in 78 years. Spin that.

As I said previously, it is obvious we are still one of the bigger clubs in the country, even if we have almost no silverware to show for it. That list of clubs I gave earlier was for a bit of perspective in terms of tangible success. Clearly, I am not arguing that Swindon, Luton and Oxford etc. are of similar historical grandure to ourselves. But pretending our modern status hasn't been diminished in comparison with other clubs is vain and foolish.