Challenge to Ian Holloway

In the event that Holloway is approached with a view to taking the reins at S6 i would ask him to consider the fact that he has never truly proved himself at a big club with a big fanbase. Managing Sheffield Wednesday would undoubtedly be the most prestigious position he has ever held, do a good job at Hillsborough and the next job beckoning could be the England job.

If Mr Holloway has any ambition to truly prove himself at a big club now is the time to grasp the nettle, pin your colours to the mast Ian and tell Milan you want to become a Sheffield legend and apply for one of the best jobs in football, leading the Owls to the promised land!!

:excl:  :excl:  :cool: 

In the event that Holloway is approached with a view to taking the reins at S6 i would ask him to consider the fact that he has never truly proved himself at a big club with a big fanbase. Managing Sheffield Wednesday would undoubtedly be the most prestigious position he has ever held, do a good job at Hillsborough and the next job beckoning could be the England job.

If Mr Holloway has any ambition to truly prove himself at a big club now is the time to grasp the nettle, pin your colours to the mast Ian and tell Milan you want to become a Sheffield legend and apply for one of the best jobs in football, leading the Owls to the promised land!!

:excl:  :excl:  :cool: 

You've forgot to say how massive we are.

One of the best jobs in football, that's actually so untrue it's laughable

The job at Hillsborough if executed in the right manner truly could be one of the best posts in football, if a man like Holloway could replicate his previous success's at Blackpool and Palace he would surely elevate his profile to levels unsurpassed in his managerial career. 

Given that he's taken his last two clubs into the top flight do you think Ian Holloway needs an insight in to how to run any club? Having a larger than average (but not the largest) fan base in the Championship doesn't make us a big club.Reality check needed I think?

The job at Hillsborough if executed in the right manner truly could be one of the best posts in football, if a man like Holloway could replicate his previous success's at Blackpool and Palace he would surely elevate his profile to levels unsurpassed in his managerial career.

He wouldn't have a budget, and our best academy product for the last 10 years is tommy spurr

I admire your optimism but if you take off the old blue n white specs you'll see that we are no longer the club we were 20 years ago

Our record transfer fee is something like £3m which for a club of this "size" is ridiculous, we simply can't compete with at least 30 English clubs ATM, a big fanbase yes, but that I'm afraid is it

Guest hayden lewis

All these posts suggesting stuff thats never going to happen colin is nailed on as short as 4/7 with the bookies and how often are they wrong so we all better get used to it

Given that he's taken his last two clubs into the top flight do you think Ian Holloway needs an insight in to how to run any club? Having a larger than average (but not the largest) fan base in the Championship doesn't make us a big club.Reality check needed I think?

Joint bottom of the table and we can still garner 20,000 for a midweek game, if any manager were to lead us to the opposite end of the table your statement would quickly become more flawed than Tricky Trev's decision to let Cantona walk.

He wouldn't have a budget, and our best academy product for the last 10 years is tommy spurr

I admire your optimism but if you take off the old blue n white specs you'll see that we are no longer the club we were 20 years ago

Our record transfer fee is something like £3m which for a club of this "size" is ridiculous, we simply can't compete with at least 30 English clubs ATM, a big fanbase yes, but that I'm afraid is it

You're right except for our record transfer fee. That was £4.5m for Di Canio (which included Blinker going the other way as a £1.5m makeweight).

Which actually shows how little you know about Cantona, because he was always destined for Leeds. He was actually in Josephines with at least three Leeds players on the night he played in that seven a side for us at the Arena. He was always Leeds bound. As for gates, the number of people who attend games doesn't determine the size of the club, which is something else you fail to realise. We probably get bigger gates than a couple of Premiership teams, but we're in the Championship and they are in the Premiership, and that makes them bigger clubs than us.

What you also haven't realised how fickle our fans are. How many "true" Wednesdayites went to the Millenium, 42000? we got promoted and then sold less than 15,00 season tickets. We had a full house for the Wycombe game, and although we got promoted, our gates were relatively poor the next season. The average fan of our very average club is like most other football fans, they go when the team is doing well, and then don't bother when the team isn't doing so well. We're apparently "massive", Just look back on this forum to earlier this week and see how many of our "loyal" fans weren't bothering on Tuesday night. As far as I'm concerned Wednesday are the only club, and are the best club in the world, but they aint a big club, and haven't been for donkeys years. We've spent seventeen of the past fifty seasons in the top flight. That doesn't make us anything other than a run of the mill club.