Glen Hoddle

3rd best England manager of all time based on his win ratio behind Alf Ramsey and Fabio Capello

Took Swindon from lower leagues to top division

Started the revolution at Chelsea bringing in players from Europe and won their first trophy in years

Had a bad time at Wolves

Might be able to find some young hungry and cheap players from his academies in Spain

No been in a job for a few years

Likes football to be played the right way

He might be worth the risk?

Definitely have him.

I admire his thoughts, comments and philosophy on the game. I think he would want to place good infrastructure in the club from academy level to first team. I think he's a good coach and has been a good manager in the past. I certainly don't buy into this thought that he's out of touch with the game. You only have to listen to the man talking on any media outlet to know he's very much in touch with modern day football.

However, I don't think it will happen and if it did, he may struggle to impose his philosophies on the club when the long term future of the while football club is in the air. I also think patience could be an issue, as well as the ability to change the squad much. I think the squad available to him at present would be difficult for him to turn around quickly (but that will be the same for any manager).

If we're looking for a long term appointment, someone with a vision, a philosophy, a keen interest in academy football and youth development then Glen Hoddle is the man for the job.

He'd be top of my short list for certain.

Edited by BRADDAZ

It is a concern, but every manager currently available would have a question mark and a concern around them.

Surely, from the comments from Hoddle about the game (on a regular basis through TV, Radio & written media) shows that he's very much much in touch with the modern game and we must remember that he's been involved in coaching throughout his time away from professional football clubs in this country.

He's not alien to the modern game at all.

I remember Paul Merson talking about him saying he wasn't very good with people.

Primarily because they weren't as good as him. He bollocked several players for not being able to chip a ball a certain length with the right trajectory.

Imagine Hoddle trying to get this through to the likes of Semedo?

This was Paul Merson he was making a cock of - a fine player himself.

Braddaz raises some good points.

Personality wise though, probably not much different to Dave.

The persona of the manager is largely irrelevant to me in the long run.

If the person is good at his job then I couldn't care less if he's waving his arms around, screaming on touchline, coming out with Churchillian speeches on the radio etc.

The "passion" thing really grinds my gears. If he's got passion for his philosophy and he implements it at our club and its working, then that is absolutely fine with me.

Passion in interviews...? Don't care.

I remember Paul Merson talking about him saying he wasn't very good with people.

Primarily because they weren't as good as him. He bollocked several players for not being able to chip a ball a certain length with the right trajectory.

Merson is just an Idiot though.

Guest wilyfox

i'd love to see that; would be flipping hilarious 

The persona of the manager is largely irrelevant to me in the long run.

If the person is good at his job then I couldn't care less if he's waving his arms around, screaming on touchline, coming out with Churchillian speeches on the radio etc.

The "passion" thing really grinds my gears. If he's got passion for his philosophy and he implements it at our club and its working, then that is absolutely fine with me.

Passion in interviews...? Don't care.

I'm not on about passion. I think we need someone the fan base want to like or at least not dislike. Obviously if the guy is making us successful then it doesn't matter, but as we've seen with Jones, I think a lot of people decided they were sick of him and gave him even less slack.

It shouldn't be a personality contest, but the likes of Laws and Megson (tuned into the fans rather than distanced themselves) had the fans on their side most of the time.

"Jose..what was that? I thought you were meant to be a quality playah"

I'm not on about passion. I think we need someone the fan base want to like or at least not dislike. Obviously if the guy is making us successful then it doesn't matter, but as we've seen with Jones, I think a lot of people decided they were sick of him and gave him even less slack.

It shouldn't be a personality contest, but the likes of Laws and Megson (tuned into the fans rather than distanced themselves) had the fans on their side most of the time.

If I was a chairman, I'd be looking at the best man for the job for your long term aim. Now I don't know what Mandaric see's as a long term aim if he can't sell the club, so it's difficult to suggest a manager.

So this is purely hypothetical.

If it was me, I'd not even consider who the fans wanted and if he would get the fan straight on side. I'd appoint a manager, who I thought was the best man for the job. I'd then come and explain what the long term aim was and why he was chosen. Be honest with the fans.

Overall, football fans just want to see improvement from their team over a season and win some games with the first team. If you can add in developments in other areas of the playing side of the football clubs, such as the academy etc. then that will only enhance the reputation of the manager.

Development, improvements and winning games will make a managers persona irrelevant to the majority of the fan base.

Merson is just an Idiot though.

I don't disagree with that, but the point remains, if Hoddle can't deal with the likes of Merson carrying out his tasks, how is he going to get on with the likes of Coke and Semedo?!

i'd love to see that; would be flipping hilarious 

Me, too.

That would be worth paying for a subscription fee.

lol

Apparently he tends to get frustrated with crap players....

Sounds like the perfect match - at least he'll see and know what the supporters are going through

So how did he manage to turn Swindon around - I don't think they had a team of Maradona's when he took over or whilst he was there

I don't disagree with that, but the point remains, if Hoddle can't deal with the likes of Merson carrying out his tasks, how is he going to get on with the likes of Coke and Semedo?!

Me, too.

That would be worth paying for a subscription fee.

lol

If Hoddle had such an issue with players not being able to do things he could do as a player, then why has he spent such a period of time with 16-21 year olds in Spain, who had been released from professional football clubs trying to develop them?

Surely that would frustrate him just as much?

Also, given his decent record with England. It would suggest to me that some of the players of that era, very much bought into his ideas.