The Midfield He Yearned For

For months we've heard Jones bemoan his lack of quality in central midfield.

For months we've heard Jones bleat on about the lack of funds available in order to bring in the said quality required.

He brings in two players who can play in central midfield. And within a few games, both are replaced with players who have been there all along.

McPhail & Olufinjana have been two mistakes that Jones simply cannot defend. Both are past it. McPhail looked like a world beater for 45 minutes against Donny, and since then has looked like a fish out of water as soon as any side press him or play three in the middle.

We knew even before the end of last season that we desparately needed two Championship quality central midfielders, and two Championship quality strikers, yet haven't done anything about it.

Is that Jones' fault or Milan's?

I believe Jones has proved he is a poor manager, but the buck stops with Milan.

And what the flip PA does other than lend us money, and fail to bring in the players we need, is beyond me

Edited by theowlsman

Guest Sheff Owl

Olofinjana, McPhail, Coke and Prutton we're all available for someone to pick up and nobody did except us.

It was obvious what our problems we're at the end of the season and we did nothing to sort it out until October and even then it's 2 ageing players that are only short term fixes.

We knew even before the end of last season that we desparately needed two Championship quality central midfielders, and two Championship quality strikers, yet haven't done anything about it.

And what the flip PA does other than lend us money, and fail to bring in the players we need, is beyond me

youre right signing 7 or 8 players is not the answer. DJ can sign 100 but if none are good enough for this level then it comes down to funding surely....

youre right signing 7 or 8 players is not the answer. DJ can sign 100 but if none are good enough for this level then it comes down to funding surely....

Was always about quality, not quantity.

Still interests me greatly the amount of players we've signed yet hardly used.

A cynic might wonder if there were any bonuses for anyone at the club for signing them.

It's MM's responsibility. He even made DJ wait to sign on Olofinjana and McPhail when they were training with the club and they were cheapies.

Guest wilyfox

it's very apparent that McPhail is no good in a 4 man midfield. Semedo or *** can't go box-to-box if their charge is to protect the back 4 - and McPhail simply doesn't have the engine or the legs to put himself about. in a 5 man midfield you can accommodate him - but at the expense of a striker.  

it's very apparent that McPhail is no good in a 4 man midfield. Semedo or *** can't go box-to-box if their charge is to protect the back 4 - and McPhail simply doesn't have the engine or the legs to put himself about. in a 5 man midfield you can accommodate him - but at the expense of a striker.  

very true.  Maybe if McPhail was 5 years younger then it would be a different scenario.  

I don't get why some managers keep going back to players who are familiar with and who are past it IMO.

Surely a manager should look at what good for the team  as a whole and not bring in someone because they have worked with them in the past. 

If DJ kept our promotion squad intact with a few quality signings, we would be a lot better off.

Guest wilyfox

Our midfield is abysmal.

That is all.

it has been for years. It was the reason we were relegated 3yrs ago (in my opinion), and the reason we're not competing now.