Sheffield Wednesday in ten years time

Biggest team in the world, threepete, back to back to back champions league winners playing in a 125 000 seater stadium built on the site of castle market, with a special station of the hs2 hyper speed train built into the home end just to get all our home fans up from Landon in 34 minutes.

We beat Man U 3-1 in 1998/1999.

That season I think we finished 14th, whilst they won the er treble.

But apart from that we were well on par with them.

I would agree with you that we have never truly competed with Man Utd in the ferguson era.

IMO there are three aristocrat clubs in English football, man Utd , arsenal and Liverpool . To compete with their heritage you need true MASSIVE funding which the new money clubs man city and Chelsea have got.

Outside those 5 clubs what you have are clubs of similar historical size to Wednesday that have been better run over the last 20 years.everton, villa, Newcastle, never previously dwarfed Wednesday as clubs. Yes they have had more success.

The boring reality is that it really just comes down to money. We have the historical fan base, we have the catchment area, investment in top quality staff is what is needed. In other words buy a premiership squad and the premiership club that was Sheffield Wednesday will reappear.

My main worry as my previous post is that every year that goes by makes that task more expensive and Wednesday less appealing to potential investors.

Edited by Geedee

Sheffield Population 550,000 2011 Census

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield

Liverpool 552K

Bit of an argument about how you define the cities, but there is no reason why we shouldn't easily support a PL side if liverpool can. 

If you consider the bigger cities and count their populations as greater Manchester does. How big is Sheffield then, that is considering population in terms of  a 20 mile radius from the City centre.... I would say somewhere in the region of 1.7 Million.

If you consider the bigger cities and count their populations as greater Manchester does. How big is Sheffield then, that is considering population in terms of a 20 mile radius from the City centre.... I would say somewhere in the region of 1.7 Million.

15 Million people live within a hours drive of meadowhall.....

Not sure about the city centre, but if you wanted ambition, a new stadium around meadowhall linking in with the supertram M1, and possibly HS2 if the thing ever gets built......

There are actuall GIS packages you can use to determine population within a given driving location of a site. Used one years ago.....

Guest manc owl

As others have said, a lot can happen in ten years - look at Swansea, Brighton or Southampton. On the other hand, look at Stockport County. They were in the Championship when we first went down. Now that is depressing!

Why on earth shouldn't we try and compete with two sides from liverpool ?

Liverpool is no bigger than Sheffield as a city

We just need ambition.

Historically we were on a par with the great Spurs side in the 60's which built the generations and legacy of the club.

We used to compete with Man U.

We have just been THAT badly run over the last decades that people forget this stuff. Except Daveboy66 who was there ;-)

We have SO under performed the past few decades its unreal, its embarrassing.

Our natural rivals should be Leeds, Liverpool, Spurs,Newcastle, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Forest, Leicester etc.

I'm just amazed no one with ambition over the past 10-15 years has taken a chance on us.

Sheffield is one of englands major cities.

Christ lets have SOME ambition and a bit of a dream.

the trouble is Sheffield isn't a fashionable city. Liverpool have their footballing history and the music.

What we need is the Monkeys to smash America and become the best band in the planet. Then the city as a whole needs to embrace the "we gave football to the world" mentality.

Imagine if Liverpool or Manchester gave the world football. We'd never hear the end of it. But Sheffield hardly ever gets mentioned.

Sheffield FC even had to phone football heaven to publicise the Pioneers cup. It's disgraceful

Edited by Blueblood