Sheffield Wednesday in ten years time

Sheffield is a one of the Major UK cities. A catchment area of half a million people gives easily enough potential fans to fill a 40K Stadium.

Never mind P/T ones from rotherham, barnsley,chesterfield, scunny etc who would travel to watch a decent match. 

Its not delusional, a bit of ambition, some cold hard cash WELL invested in the club and there is absolutely no reason why we should easily be able to compete with the teams in the bottom half of the PL. 

I really am staggered that no one with money to invest and spend has decided to buy us. 

You were talking about competing with teams at the top...

Edited by Chris E

Why on earth shouldn't we try and compete with two sides from liverpool ? 

Liverpool is no bigger than Sheffield as a city

Liverpool is several times the size of football club as we are, they are one of the clubs,  along with Man Utd, Celtic, Barcelona, Madrid, Munich and Milan, that you could market almost anywhere in the world.

We dont belong in that company, we might have been able to beat them on a one off game in the mid 90s, but we are miles apart and always will be.

Our natural rivals should be Leeds, Liverpool, Spurs,Newcastle, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Forest, Leicester etc. 

Leeds, Forest and Leicester yes, also throw in Derby and a few others, but let the other clubs go, the fact that you've included them on the same list as Man United is a bit strange.

We are a fairly big club, not a huge club, and we belong in a pot with about 20 other "fairly big" clubs, we don't belong in the company of Arsenal, Man United and Liverpool, and to suggest we do is a bit comical and slightly worrying to be honest.

You were talking about competing with teams at the top...

Why not ?

bit of cash......  get to the PL THEN compete. 

why not. We used to be able to give Man U cracking games, even in the 90's..... We had a decent record against them for a while at S61SW IIRC. 

15 Million people live within 1hours drive of meadowhall, thats the area we should be looking to develop a stadium. 

If we had some ambition, promotion to the PL, Keep filling S6 then potentially look to build a new ground around the new HS1/2 line if its get the go ahead for that area.

Alternatively. Some Stadium with 25K in need of a bit of a refurbish available cheap in the don valley so i hear...... 

Why not ?

bit of cash......  get to the PL THEN compete. 

Bit of cash used to do it, its a sad state of affairs but nowadays, theres clubs in the championship with £10 million squads who just break into the middle of the pack, Leicester look like they might go somewhere this year but its taken 3 or 4 years of huge investment, since they were taken over have they even made the play offs?

Get to the PL them compete, of course sounds good, but we're so far away from even getting to the PL, I've no idea how we'd go about competing once we got there, it would take an incredible amount of investment to get this floppy todger of a football club to stand strong in the Premiership, although I'd love somebody to come in and give it a try.

Guest wilyfox

Impossible to say. We've no idea who our next owners will be - or their level of commitment. We experienced 3 relegations and 1 promotion between 2000-2010; so anything could happen in the next decade.

I think that in the next ten years the whole of English football will have been re-structured.

The big 6 ( Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool) will be involved in some type of European Super League.

The rest of the main protagonists in the Premier League will be the new big boys and the remainder of the bigger and better clubs will join them in possibly a two tiered league.

Some of the smaller clubs will become feeder clubs and the rest will go part time.

I think the best we can ever hope to be is somewhere in the top tier.

Sheffield Population 550,000 2011 Census

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield

Liverpool 552K

Bit of an argument about how you define the cities, but there is no reason why we shouldn't easily support a PL side if liverpool can. 

Wolverhampton had one once :laugh: Torry owl speaks a lot of sense though

Edited by Guest

I forecast a few more promotions from the third tier, which accordingly bring a wave of optimism and hope. 

This is optimism is then slowly crushed as we bring in two 45 year old's on pay as you play deals and 670 loans during our time in the Championship. 

Guest Johnbloodaxe

We will be owned by either Chinese, Indians, Russians or Brazillians, as will most other clubs in the UK that have any sort of following and could turn a profit...

The BRIC countries will be monopolising the world economy, the oil will not be so important and some of the middle east money will be out of the running in terms of wealth...

Mandarin will be compulsory on schools and no one will bother to learn French anymore.

India will have colonised Mars.

The Chinese will own 70% of the worlds corporates and Brazil will have Nottinghill as a subsidiary to the Rio Carnival...

I'll be dribbling in a corner in my old age, and I will still be fooookin posting in here....  We will be without a win for 421 games a new record.

I fear more of the same, hovering around bottom of the championship / top of league 1

Probably be another 5 or 6 managers down the line, with non of them getting established, and we will still be paying off our old managers (not a DJ comment, just a based on what has happened)

Guest zico sterland

Sheffield Wednesday. now the only football league club in Sheffield since their close neighbours were wound up two years ago,celebrated winning promotion back to the premier league in front of 38000 fans with over 10000 watching on giant screens in Hillsboro park with an emphatic 3-0 win over  an average QPR side.With a party atmasphere  Hillsboro rocked  to the sounds of high ho Sheffield Wednesday as premiership football returned for the first time in nearly 20 years to the steel city.If Carling do miracles i will have a pint of this one.     lol